Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Digital vs Paper

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-17, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Digital vs Paper

I happily embraced digital comics and still enjoy them. They allow me to read a lot more titles at a cheaper price, and also doesn’t require the massive space requirement for storage. In addition, the art looks better illuminated by the screen.

However, I started rereadin Deadworld on Hoopla, a title I loved during its original run, and noticed that the art didn’t seem as great on digital. There was something about the way it looked on the off white paper that really helpd the art. Granted, the art was never awesome especially in the early issues, but I remember it looking better back then.

Am I having nostalgic false memories of the art or do some books just look better in print?
Old 11-28-17, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,463 Likes on 930 Posts
Re: Digital vs Paper

Back in the old days, artists drew pictures to look good on cheap newsprint. Later, they drew them to look good on white paper. It wouldn't surprise me that some art just wouldn't transfer well from one medium to another.

It's like silver nitrate black and white film transferred to videotape.
Old 11-28-17, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Some books are scanned in from lower resolution files, or from the actual physical book itself, which looks horrid digitally. I know of at least one case where the comixology file was actually a fan-scanned version (they mistakenly left the signature page in it).

There's also the problem with two page spreads, or oversized books, not looking as good on a tablet, so yes, printing will sometimes look better than digital. But the cost and the space, eh, I don't miss it. I have a load of comics just sitting here, taking up space with bags and boards, which cost a small fortune, just a few month's worth. I mean what am I going to do with them, modern comics are often not worth the paper they're printed on.
Old 11-28-17, 10:05 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I haven't run into a case yet where the digital quality affects my enjoyment of the story, but I'm not picky on visuals generally.

But on the topic in general, as much as I love digital, I still love my old floppies, and when reading long stories, trades.
Old 11-29-17, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Not interested until they come up with full color e-ink.

Reading a bunch of comic books on a backlit screen would kill my eyes.