Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Brian Michael Bendis signs exclusive deal with DC Comics

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 11-07-17, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I for one, have come to dislike almost everything that Bendis has done in the past 10 years and think that he's highly overrated. He writes stories without taking into consideration previous stories, continuity, other writers and stuff going on at the same time in other books. I think this is a blessing for Marvel, as they will be able to tighten stuff without conceding to Bendis. At the same time, I bet he's going to screw DC with the same weaknesses he has as a writer that he carried on at Marvel. He's a nice guy and all and the people at DC at receiving him with open arms, but it's no secret that many in the industry don't like his writing style and constant deconstruction and decompression.
Old 11-07-17, 11:45 AM

Re: Brian Michael Bendis signs exclusive deal with DC Comics

Wow. This seems surprising to me on the surface, but I guess at this point there's nothing left for him to do at Marvel. I enjoyed a lot of what he was doing in the early 2000's (Daredevil, Powers, Alias), but he sort of lost me once he started on the Avengers and basically took over the Marvel Universe. It's funny, I enjoyed some of that early Avengers stuff in and of itself, but I did not like what it ultimately meant for the line as a whole, if that makes sense. Honestly though, I haven't read anything he's done in the last ten years, so I suppose I don't have too much of an opinion. It's unlikely I'll end up reading anything he does at DC either way.
Old 11-07-17, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He's seemed pretty burnt out at Marvel for a few years now, even his creator owned stuff has a going-through-the-motions feel lately, so this could be a good chance for him to recharge a bit and maybe recapture some of that old magic.

I guess this means all his stuff under the Icon imprint is heading (back) to Image?
Old 11-07-17, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Be interesting to see his take on material like New Gods.
Old 11-07-17, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is our generations Kirby jump to DC. Interested to see what he does.
Old 11-07-17, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
Be interesting to see his take on material like New Gods.
Tom King is already taking care of that.

I got a feeling Bendis is going to be given the Legion of Superheroes to revive. Seems the only property that doesn't have a writer attached to it.
Old 11-07-17, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post

I got a feeling Bendis is going to be given the Legion of Superheroes to revive. Seems the only property that doesn't have a writer attached to it.
Thats a good idea. All the big titles already have good teams currently. I could see a Justice League run as well.
Old 11-07-17, 02:25 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I'm getting kind of tired of his dialogue, but am a few years behind in anything he's done. But a fresh start might be good for him, and Marvel.
Old 11-07-17, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think he may be handed Shazam. His Ultimate Spider-Man run would be the most similar property.

I'll be honest, I haven't read much Bendis at all the past decade as Marvel is largely dead to me until they clean house at the editorial level. I thought then he was a decent writer, if a tad overrated.

I know many Marvel readers had grown to resent Bendis and I fear he'll bring some of that baggage with him.
Old 11-07-17, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about a new Ultimate Superman title?

Wouldn't mind seeing him in a Shazam reboot either.
Old 11-07-17, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

His stuff was a breath of fresh air when he first started at Marvel (Alias and his run on Daredevil were fantastic). But yeah, over the years, his stuff just got more and more stale. Maybe being at DC will help him out with that.
Old 11-07-17, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I actually really like his New Avengers work and a lot of his Marvel output (which is blasphemy, I know) but I have no desire to see his take on LoSH.
Old 11-07-17, 09:18 PM

I think part of the issue with Bendis (as well as other writers and artists who become big) is that they don't truly have editors telling them no. Same happens with Grant Morrison.

I could see Bendis writing Captain Marvel. I could also see him taking over Superboy, maybe even Young Justice. i just hope they don't give him a book that already has a established, good creative team. One of the issues that happened at Marvel was that Bendis kept getting books like Guardians of the Galaxy, which had been revived by Abnett and Lanning in 2008 in one of the best Marvel runs of the past 25 years, and basically ruined the books by adding characters who shouldn't have been on the team, dismissing stuff that happened in the previous series and changing the characters for no reason. Rocket went from a strategist bounty hunter to a one-liner (un)funny raccoon.
Old 11-08-17, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just started reading his run on All-New X-Men...interesting concept but my god it's boring through the first 7 issues and the books are so fast to get through. I wouldn't be happy if I paid full price.
Old 11-08-17, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think part of the issue with Bendis (as well as other writers and artists who become big) is that they don't truly have editors telling them no. Same happens with Grant Morrison.

I could see Bendis writing Captain Marvel. I could also see him taking over Superboy, maybe even Young Justice. i just hope they don't give him a book that already has a established, good creative team. One of the issues that happened at Marvel was that Bendis kept getting books like Guardians of the Galaxy, which had been revived by Abnett and Lanning in 2008 in one of the best Marvel runs of the past 25 years, and basically ruined the books by adding characters who shouldn't have been on the team, dismissing stuff that happened in the previous series and changing the characters for no reason. Rocket went from a strategist bounty hunter to a one-liner (un)funny raccoon.
Guardians and the whole Abnett and Lanning universe was pretty much dead in the water by that point, though... I think that was around the time they just threw all the overpowered cosmic heroes together on a team. Bendis made them into the movie Guardians plus adding in some of his favorite characters (Agent Venom, Iron Man, Captain Marvel, the Thing, Kitty), and I have no idea if it was on the directive of editorial to get them closer to the cinematic versions. But that's exactly what the cinematic RR is, a one liner raccoon.

The main problem I have is that when Bendis takes over a character, they are nothing like they were before. This works ok with characters like Luke Cage who were languishing, but not so much if you're fans of the originals. So I think he'd be fine with some kind of All Star, non continuity driven book or with characters who haven't been established yet.
Old 11-08-17, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So now the rumor is that Jonathan Hickman will follow Bendis to DC.

https://www.cbr.com/hickman-teases-d...-announcement/
Old 11-08-17, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Now that would be interesting.
Old 11-10-17, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I think he may be handed Shazam. His Ultimate Spider-Man run would be the most similar property.

I'll be honest, I haven't read much Bendis at all the past decade as Marvel is largely dead to me until they clean house at the editorial level. I thought then he was a decent writer, if a tad overrated.

I know many Marvel readers had grown to resent Bendis and I fear he'll bring some of that baggage with him.
I liked Powers (the book, not the show). I haven't read a lot of his stuff either, but then I really haven't kept up with things since the late 90's.
Old 11-15-17, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The complaint against Bendis on other boards is that he ignores continuity and basically reboots whatever character he takes over.
Old 11-15-17, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Isn’t he on the Marvel brain trust for the MCU? Guess he’s leaving that too.
Old 11-15-17, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Isnít he on the Marvel brain trust for the MCU? Guess heís leaving that too.
I'm pretty sure that group was dissolved once Marvel Studios broke away from Marvel Comics a couple of years ago.
Old 11-15-17, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, the Creative Committee was ended in 2015.
Old 11-15-17, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
I'm pretty sure that group was dissolved once Marvel Studios broke away from Marvel Comics a couple of years ago.
Originally Posted by atxbomber View Post
Yeah, the Creative Committee was ended in 2015.
Apparently that's one of the reasons he left. It seems that DC/WB will have a creative committee led by Geoff Johns who will work on the DCU films/TV shows after Justice League now that Zack Snyder is off.
Old 11-16-17, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah didn’t realize that, makes sense.
Old 01-12-18, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It has been announced that Bendis will have his first DC work in Action Comics #1000. It appears he is getting Superman to write, which is what I was worried about. The Rebirth Superman has been going so good, I hope he doesn't mess up the character.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.