Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Marvel Comics Said To Be Experiencing A Heap Of Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-17, 01:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Marvel Comics Said To Be Experiencing A Heap Of Trouble

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, especially #2.

$4 for a 22 page comic that has ads is insane!

That's why I appreciate Omnibus books, which usually come out to around $1 per-issue, and they're over-sized with no ads. So why the fuck would I buy a floppy, other than "supporting the book", which is dumb.
I agree. I only pick up a couple physical comics and do the rest of my reading via ComiXology sales.

The era of characters giving long soliloquies as thought balloons and heroes & villains trading paragraphs worth of monologues during battle are over. And that's not a bad thing, necessarily. But the result of that change are these "decompressed" stories that take all of 5 minutes to flip through that start at $4 and are getting more expensive every year.

A sale like the one Amazon is having right now is far more conducive to drawing new readers in than a trip to the LCS these days, unfortunately.
Old 09-22-17, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
This is a bit off topic, and has been posted in the digital deals thread, but Amazon once again has insane discounts on their digital kindle versions of pretty much every marvel collection. Like 30 cents an issue, maybe less. Even collections that came out this week. They had a similar sale back in June or July that I was convinced was a fluke, but now I think they're just insane. Just thought I'd mention it since so we're talking about how expensive comics are.
I'm pretty sure that is Amazon willing to lose money to grow their market share of digital comics. They've done it in most markets they want to conquer.
Old 09-22-17, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I'm pretty sure that is Amazon willing to lose money to grow their market share of digital comics. They've done it in most markets they want to conquer.
That makes sense, but both times it's been Marvel only so there must be some kind of agreement or Most Favored Nation thing going on there.
Old 09-23-17, 03:17 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
Yeah Bendis won multiple Eisners for his Daredevil. It may be the best Daredevil run of all time. I've never heard of anyone besides you complain about it. And people love to complain about Bendis.
Bullshit. Frank Miller's first run on Daredevil & his later "Born Again" story were the best DD runs of all time - not Bendis' issues.

I did like some of Bendis' work prior to his Marvel Comics issues, i.e. "Torso", "Who Killed Retro Girl?", etc.; they had an indy vibe/tone that I found interesting.

I just don't like - nor will I ever like - his Marvel superhero work.

Last edited by TheDude; 10-02-17 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-23-17, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I mean they own comixology. I'm not sure how much more of the market they can corner unless here's some weird thing going on competing with Marvel direct digital sales or something.