Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Biggest Batman News in Decades

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-17, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Re: Biggest Batman News in Decades

Weird that they would solicit collections around but not including issue 1000. Like even if you're trade waiting, you have to buy 1000 when it comes out, or maybe it's big enough to be a tpb they can keep in print or something.
Old 10-04-17, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Weird that they would solicit collections around but not including issue 1000. Like even if you're trade waiting, you have to buy 1000 when it comes out, or maybe it's big enough to be a tpb they can keep in print or something.
Action Comics #1000 is likely going to be very expensive on its own. I know if Marvel was hitting that number, it would be priced at $20 and over.

The milestone only comes around once in a blue moon. I am expecting big things from it.
Old 10-04-17, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 452 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The milestone only comes around once in a blue moon.
Less often than that. More like once a century.
Old 07-01-18, 09:13 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I hate when companies do this. DC couldn't wait so they released the spoilers on the headline for Batman #50 on the NY Times today.

Spoilers below

Spoiler:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/01/f...be-batman.html

So they don't get married. Again, all the build up and instead of actually getting married, they do the predictable thing of having them break up. They keep doing the boy who cried wolf for this huge events and the twist has become a predictable cliche. We saw that too with Marvel several weeks ago with the whole Kitty and Colossus wedding.
Old 07-01-18, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Damn it. I didnt think King would pull this bullshit. I know he has 50 more issues planned and I trust him. But shit.
Old 07-01-18, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I hope everyone rages!
Old 07-01-18, 04:17 PM
Banned

Tom King is pissed that the spoilers went out. Even worse, the spoilers have backfired as many retailers are now hearing from customers that they are cancelling their pre-order or only picking one of the covers, instead of the 2-4 that are available for cover price. Also, many retailers who have invested in getting variant copies and purchasing over 3000 of them are furious as they were promised something big happening in this book. Instead, the early disappointment of the spoilers have led them to speculate that they will be stuck with the books.

DC already went through this on a minor scale 2 years ago when they heavily promoted the "reveal of who the Joker is" on Justice League #50 from the New 52 and instead fans got what was already revealed publicly, that there are 3 Jokers running around in the current DC Universe.

DC takes 1 step forward and 2 steps back with this type of bullshit. And now, they are restarting many titles once again after a 2 year run following the Rebirth.
Old 07-01-18, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Its true, i told my LCS that I wanted the Jim Lee sketch variant. That's what a $80 book maybe? No way I want it now.
Old 07-01-18, 04:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stingermck
Its true, i told my LCS that I wanted the Jim Lee sketch variant. That's what a $80 book maybe? No way I want it now.
That's one of the books customers are cancelling the most unless they get it under a reasonable price ($40 at most). This type of gimmicky bullshit event storytelling is one of the reasons the industry crashed in the 90's and it is like they don't learn about these mistakes.
Old 07-01-18, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood
That's one of the books customers are cancelling the most unless they get it under a reasonable price ($40 at most). This type of gimmicky bullshit event storytelling is one of the reasons the industry crashed in the 90's and it is like they don't learn about these mistakes.
Yeah if its a good price maybe. They didn't order it for me, I just said I'll get it if they do.

But man, I was thiiiiiis close to going crazy on exclusive variants. SO glad I didn't. I'll get the regular Lee variant and thats it.

Bleeding Cool said some retailers are talking lawsuits. Unbelievable we've had the same fake out within 2 weeks.
Old 07-01-18, 05:16 PM
Banned

The rumor is now that something is happening on issue 54. I like Tom King, but if they don't deliver, that would be 2 in a row and more customers feeling jilted.
Old 07-01-18, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From Reddit:

My local shop is literally answering the phone with “If you’re calling to cancel your Batman subscription, you need to do that in person.”
Old 07-01-18, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

After this crap, I be real hesitant to hand DC or Marvel any more money. They really owe both fans and owners of Comic Book shops an apology!
Old 07-02-18, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

I wonder if DC will have to make this returnable.

What a fucking mess...

They've been hyping this wedding as an event for months, have incentive variants, retailer exclusives, and then, days before the book is officially released, they leak to the press that it's all bullshit, and leave retailers holding the bag.

It would be one thing to do this story in a normal context, but they've been hyping this event up since last year, and it's been getting all kinds of attention from the media. With all of the stores closing down, it's incredibly chickenshit of them to do this.

There are some retailers, particularly the ones who paid for a store exclusive variant, who have probably sunk thousands of dollars into this. I wonder if any retailers who take a bath on this will sue DC for fraud. They promised a product that they never had any intention of delivering, and used deception to increase pre-orders.
Old 07-02-18, 07:11 AM
Banned

I can tell you that there's a lot of store owners planning on taking legal action unless DC Comics makes the book returnable, which I doubt they will since it is already the biggest seller in July according to pre-orders, even bigger than the new Amazing Spider-Man #1, Superman #1 and Captain America #1.

Some people think that the NY Times article is just a misdirection. This isn't Wizard Magazine, it's the NY Times and the content of the book they spoil is like they say it is. I blame DC for fucking this up but also blame Tom King for going that way in the storyline. He should have known better. By the way, this will affect the sale of books like Catwoman too.
Old 07-02-18, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah the new Catwoman book is dead on arrival now. King is going to be at a convention I'm going to this month. Now I am wondering if he is going to cancel People on Reddit and CBR are calling for his head.
Old 07-02-18, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

While I didn't expect the marriage storyline to last I thought it might be interesting for a while. Kind of a shame that DC blew it before the issue was even out. I was going to pick up one of the variants of this issue but I'll just wait until its collected in the eventual trade now.
Old 07-02-18, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How can both Marvel and DC be this dumb? And I'm not talking about the writers, they should be able to do what they want in the service of a good story but the company marketing machine needs to get their ducks in a row because this kind of bait and switch is ridiculous and the fact that it happened in both companies at about the same time shows that they can't be trusted.
Old 07-02-18, 09:01 AM
Banned

Since this is now public, I'm able to post it:

Responding to complaints, John Cunningham, DC’s senior vice president of sales, offered a five-point response on a comics retailer Facebook group, explaining why the publisher spoiled its own event (via ComicBook.com):

1. DC Sales strongly advocated getting the news out ahead of the OSD, so that the Moment of Realization did not occur hours before events began. We even did our level best to try and spoil it here on this page over and over again (and failed). The NY Times article was posted here at 630 a.m. PST not out of “Pride” — please — but to get you the information as soon as we could.

2. In the abstract, we believed the news would break on Monday morning, given the arrival time of physical copies in store and the reality that a copy or a scan would end up being passed to uncontrolled comic book outlets (much like Marvel’s wedding issue last week and every other major comic book event in the lat decade).

3. As mentioned here before, any discussion about financial remedies for problematic DC product must occur after the product is on sale.

4. While The Times piece is more fulsome that [sic] some might like, it does not spoil the shock ending of the book for fans. We’re working on getting this posted here for you.

5. I stand by my belief that BATMAN #50 is one of the best single issue periodicals of the last decade, that it is a special moment in comic book history, and that if it’s not the book we (think) we want, it’s the book we need.

https://www.cbr.com/batman-wedding-d...ains-spoilers/

If I'm DC Comics, I would fire John Cunningham ASAP. He has basically fucked up sales at the retailer level to the point that an issue that would have normally gone through several printing because it was sold out is now an issue that retailers will have a hard time getting rid off. I can see more stores closing as a consequence of investing in this book heavily and not seeing the return on this, Catwoman and the other DC books. DC needs to fix this ASAP

I don't have the book on my hands yet but I imagine the final page spoiler is:

Spoiler:

Something about the 3 Jokers.

Last edited by Red Hood; 07-02-18 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-02-18, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

As a casual comic fan at this point, and never a DC fan, I was probably going to pick up a copy of this because I thought several of the covers were cool. Now however, I'm out. I can't reward a bait and switch like this with even one sale.
Old 07-02-18, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Lots of chat on Reddit and CBR that the final page is this:

Spoiler:
Bane is behind the whole thing. He made Holly talk Selena out of it. All the villains are together including Flashpoint Thomas Wayne.
Old 07-02-18, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
Bane is behind the whole thing. He made Holly talk Selena out of it. All the villains are together including Flashpoint Thomas Wayne.
That sounds absolutely terrible. Maybe the execution is better (and to be fair, even the best comic stories usually sound terrible written out) but ugh.
Old 07-02-18, 11:46 AM
Banned

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
So everyone knows that Bruce Wayne is Batman and Selina is Catowman?
Old 07-02-18, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
While I didn't expect the marriage storyline to last I thought it might be interesting for a while. Kind of a shame that DC blew it before the issue was even out. I was going to pick up one of the variants of this issue but I'll just wait until its collected in the eventual trade now.
I kind of rolled my eyes when the engagement was "announced", but I must say that the issues leading to it and following have been entertaining to read. The whole "barely human" Batman had become a tiresome cliché for me, and I thought it was a nice change.
Old 07-02-18, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just talked to my LCS. They are pretty bummed and said this will hurt them. Said more than likely casuals will just skip the book since the spoilers are out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.