Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Single issue organization: How do you do it?

Old 05-06-16, 01:27 PM
  #1  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
Thread Starter
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,061
Single issue organization: How do you do it?

I haven't organized my singles in at least 10 years, and have been going through and adding those ~20 longboxes to my checklist.

In the past, I've labeled my boxes either DC, Marvel, or Independent; and then had them grouped by subject/character. So all my Superman titles in a box or three, Batman, Flash/Green Lantern, DC mini-series, Spidey, Marvel horror, etc etc.

It gets confusing with anthology series that rotate from character to character, wanting to keep tie-in event issues together, and several other examples.

I'm leaning towards going alphabetical, separating each company of course. But then, I have dozens of titles that spanned multiple publishers; I'd rather not have my Ms Tree books in four different boxes for example.

I want all my Superman books together darn it, not spread out under 8 different letters and in possibly the same number of boxes.

I'm currently paralyzed by indecision.
Trevor is online now  
Old 05-06-16, 02:31 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,243
Re: Single issue organization: How do you do it?

I go by title.

I don't bother separating by publisher since my collection skews more toward individual titles than universes.

So my full Hellblazer run (1-300, plus various one-shots and minis) goes together between Grendel (the Comico and DH series, including Tales) and Hitman.

I will also group miniseries and one-shots by creator, so I have an Alan Moore section and a Grant Morrison section (right next to each other, much to the consternation of the former).
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 05-06-16, 02:37 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,243
Re: Single issue organization: How do you do it?

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I haven't organized my singles in at least 10 years, and have been going through and adding those ~20 longboxes to my checklist.

In the past, I've labeled my boxes either DC, Marvel, or Independent; and then had them grouped by subject/character. So all my Superman titles in a box or three, Batman, Flash/Green Lantern, DC mini-series, Spidey, Marvel horror, etc etc.

It gets confusing with anthology series that rotate from character to character, wanting to keep tie-in event issues together, and several other examples.

I'm leaning towards going alphabetical, separating each company of course. But then, I have dozens of titles that spanned multiple publishers; I'd rather not have my Ms Tree books in four different boxes for example.

I want all my Superman books together darn it, not spread out under 8 different letters and in possibly the same number of boxes.

I'm currently paralyzed by indecision.
If I were you, I would go by "universe." Have all of your Marvel and DC universe titles in their own area, then go by character and title. Keep all of your Superman books under "S" (again, seperated either by title -- Action, Adventures, Man of Steel, Superman, etc., or in chronological order) and all of your Batman books under "B" the same way.

For the indies, I would go by title/character rather than publisher unless they're in a distinct universe like Valiant (and in that case I would separate the various incarnations, like the V1 universe and the current Valiant universe).
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 05-06-16, 02:54 PM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 199
Re: Single issue organization: How do you do it?

I have a mix of:

all titles in alphabetical order
titles organized by publisher
storylines collected together

Someday I'll have to sit down with 15 long boxes in front of me and do something to make it a tad more consistent.
BGPu is offline  
Old 05-06-16, 02:59 PM
  #5  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
Thread Starter
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,061
Re: Single issue organization: How do you do it?

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
So my full Hellblazer run (1-300, plus various one-shots and minis) goes together between Grendel (the Comico and DH series, including Tales) and Hitman.
Yep, but with me at least, there would be dozens of short runs or single issues between those.

But I struggle with mixing Marvel and DC in the same box. That just isn't meant to be! Except for their many crossovers of course. And some are published by Marvel and some by DC, so where to file? I think at least one four issue series was two issues by each publisher. Problem solved! I'm going to keep all my intercompany crossovers in one box.
I will also group miniseries and one-shots by creator, so I have an Alan Moore section and a Grant Morrison section (right next to each other, much to the consternation of the former).
I, at least for now, do something similar where two different creators (Miller and Moore) have all of their stuff together, irregardless of company, story, cover only, etc.
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
If I were you, I would go by "universe." Have all of your Marvel and DC universe titles in their own area, then go by character and title. Keep all of your Superman books under "S" (again, seperated either by title -- Action, Adventures, Man of Steel, Superman, etc., or in chronological order) and all of your Batman books under "B" the same way.

For the indies, I would go by title/character rather than publisher unless they're in a distinct universe like Valiant (and in that case I would separate the various incarnations, like the V1 universe and the current Valiant universe).
Good plan! One thing I waffle on are questions like: does the solitary issue of Marvel Two-in-One that I own, just for the Black Panther appearance, get filed under B with my complete run of every Black Panther appearance, or under M for the real title, or with all my Fantastic Fours (Thing is the star of that title after all)? That was a fictitious example, but I have hundreds very similar quandaries.
Trevor is online now  
Old 05-06-16, 03:28 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
mrhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,039
Re: Single issue organization: How do you do it?

I go by publisher and then by title. Since I don't buy much these days except for SA and BA books I don't really have the need to insert the newer purchases into my collection right away. In the last two years I haven't even filled up one long box yet.
mrhan is offline  
Old 05-06-16, 03:51 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 40,676
Re: Single issue organization: How do you do it?

I have few floppies at the moment so I just sort them with my TPBs, which are sorted by publisher then by character/title. I think I have Batgirl with Batman, but Catwoman may be separate, after Birds of Prey. This may not make total sense.

Stuff like Infinite Crisis is by itself, but the Crisis on Multiple Earths TPBs are with Justice League.

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
One thing I waffle on are questions like: does the solitary issue of Marvel Two-in-One that I own, just for the Black Panther appearance, get filed under B with my complete run of every Black Panther appearance, or under M for the real title, or with all my Fantastic Fours (Thing is the star of that title after all)? That was a fictitious example, but I have hundreds very similar quandaries.
MTIO should be by title. I used to subscribe to it as a kid, and I was a big Black Panther fan (I have both the Showcase and Masterworks collections of Jungle Action, and will probably get the Epic too), but I didn't remember that issue. I was going to google it until I read your last sentence.
davidh777 is offline  
Old 05-06-16, 04:06 PM
  #8  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
Thread Starter
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,061
Re: Single issue organization: How do you do it?

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I have few floppies at the moment so I just sort them with my TPBs, which are sorted by publisher then by character/title. I think I have Batgirl with Batman, but Catwoman may be separate, after Birds of Prey. This may not make total sense.
No sense at all, but I get it.
Stuff like Infinite Crisis is by itself, but the Crisis on Multiple Earths TPBs are with Justice League.
Yes! Except for the whole mixing floppies and trades thing.
MTIO should be by title. I used to subscribe to it as a kid, and I was a big Black Panther fan (I have both the Showcase and Masterworks collections of Jungle Action, and will probably get the Epic too), but I didn't remember that issue. I was going to google it until I read your last sentence.
Found the issue. Forgive the weird shot, I was sitting at a weird angle and using my bad arm
Trevor is online now  
Old 05-06-16, 04:09 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Bronkster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AnaheimLand, SoCal
Posts: 14,743
Re: Single issue organization: How do you do it?

Major character/team titles have their own boxes. For the rest, it's alphabetic broken between DC/Marvel/Everything Else. I use plastic tabs that I label - much like any comic store - and for single issues or real small batches, I just give the tab the letter for that alphabetic pile. I basically have a comic store in my room. Yay.
Bronkster is offline  
Old 05-06-16, 04:36 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 40,676
Re: Single issue organization: How do you do it?

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Found the issue. Forgive the weird shot, I was sitting at a weird angle and using my bad arm
Spoiler:
You had me thinking this was really a thing, and I was going to check my Essentials volume to see what story it was, until I googled the issue so I could see/post a full cover.
davidh777 is offline  
Old 05-06-16, 07:52 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
mrhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,039
Re: Single issue organization: How do you do it?

Another thing I do is place the books facing each other in the box. It takes up less space and looks a lot neater than having the spines all on one side. It's harder to look for books but since I don't collect much it isn't a problem.

mrhan is offline  
Old 05-07-16, 06:09 AM
  #12  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
Thread Starter
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,061
Re: Single issue organization: How do you do it?

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
Major character/team titles have their own boxes. For the rest, it's alphabetic broken between DC/Marvel/Everything Else. I use plastic tabs that I label - much like any comic store - and for single issues or real small batches, I just give the tab the letter for that alphabetic pile. I basically have a comic store in my room. Yay.
I love those plastic divider tab thingees. This re-organizing of mine is just stage one (cataloging and DC/Marvel/Other separation). When I get to the months long stage two, I'm hoping those dividers still fit in my drawer boxes. Although actually, the newer drawer boxes have something even better built-in I guess.
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Spoiler:
You had me thinking this was really a thing, and I was going to check my Essentials volume to see what story it was, until I googled the issue so I could see/post a full cover.
Sorry, couldn't resist! In my defense, I found a real Black Panther 2-in-1 for David later.
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
Another thing I do is place the books facing each other in the box. It takes up less space and looks a lot neater than having the spines all on one side. It's harder to look for books but since I don't collect much it isn't a problem.

I do the same thing. Although I'm leaning towards ditching all my bags and boards and using magazine size bags for holding runs of a title.
Trevor is online now  
Old 05-07-16, 02:52 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
mrhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,039
Re: Single issue organization: How do you do it?

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I do the same thing. Although I'm leaning towards ditching all my bags and boards and using magazine size bags for holding runs of a title.
It also prevents spine roll and keeps the face of the bag clean from the tape goop that somehow gets on it when they are normally placed front to back.
mrhan is offline  
Old 05-07-16, 09:25 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Valeyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Building attractions one theme park at a time.
Posts: 10,468
Re: Single issue organization: How do you do it?

I organize by Publisher then Alphabetically. Imprints follow the main publisher (DC A to Z, Vertigo A to Z, etc).

Crossovers all go together (Crisis on Infinite Earths and all it's tie-ins).

If I have less than 10 of a specific company (like Caliber or Zenescope), those are in a Misc. box (Alphabetical by Publisher).
The Valeyard is offline  
Old 05-08-16, 12:56 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 20,981
Re: Single issue organization: How do you do it?

Alphabetical order by title, like most comic book stores. I don't separate my Marvel and DC items. I am not going to get confused and think Captain Atom belongs in Marvel, for instance.
PhantomStranger is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.