Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Free Comic Book Day - May 7, 2016

Old 04-01-16, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Free Comic Book Day - May 7, 2016

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Stores (and libraries maybe?) actually do have to pay for every book, so I'm guessing that not every library stocks them, especially all of them.
Libraries do not pay.
Old 04-09-16, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are different tiers of free issues, too. The top tier (usually DC, Marvel, DH, Image, IDW and Archie + a couple) are easier/cheaper/more widely produced and thus more widely stocked - but also in higher demand.

The smaller publishers' offerings are often absent from many stores, but can actually stick around longer because fewer care.

The good/bad thing about FCBD is that it gets coverage and brings "normal" people to comics shops... but many are just there that one day and spend little to nothing, so the potential upside can also squeeze "fans" out of getting the titles they want. Catch-22.
Old 05-06-16, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is tomorrow. Hopefully your LCS is doing something fun. Just found out my LCS is limiting people to two free comics. You can get two more if you're a current pull customer, one more if you wear a costume, and one more if you check in on social media and tag them. Luckily I'm only interested in three of the books. I was hoping for some sales on the trades, but haven't heard anything yet.
Old 05-06-16, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wanted to pick up the unmasked Steve Rogers and Tony Stark Dorbz but none of the stores around here got them.
Old 05-06-16, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This crept up on me and totally forgot. I'll be hitting up my local library for some issues.
Old 05-07-16, 06:05 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Woke up early for this (well, wake up and go to sleep are pretty much non-entities in my life now) and seems like I have a few hours to kill. My local shops and libraries don't open until 1000. Could have sworn it was 0800 last year.
Old 05-07-16, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just came back from getting my stash and tote bag:

Oddly Normal
Archie
Sanjay and Craig
Dark Lily & Friends
Grumpy Cat and Pokey
DC SuperHero Girls
Doctor Who
Howard Lovecraft and the Frozen Kingdom
One-Punch Man
SpongeBob Freestyle Funnies
Attack on Titan Anthology
Serenity: FireFly Class 03-K64
2000 AD
Lady Mechanika
Mixtape 2016
Moon Cop
Bruce Lee: The Dragon Rises
Rom
March
The Tick
Assassin's Creed
Love and Rockets
The Phantom
Bob's Burgers
Valiant 2016

It was a nice haul but sort of bummed that I did not see any Civil War or Marvel freebies for the most part. Unless they were in a different box. I wouldn't doubt it.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 05-07-16 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-07-16, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There was a Civil War comic and a Captain America comic.
Old 05-07-16, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone have an extra Bruce Lee book they want to trade for something else? Sort of bummed that the stores I went to didn't order them.
Old 05-07-16, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Civil War II, Suicide Squad, Captain America and got the Marvel's Greatest Collections because I liked the back cover
Kids grabbed all the 'kid stuff'. Shop I went to allowed you to grab 5 per person but you were allowed to get back in line to grab more until you grabbed everything they had which was most of the 50. Unfortunately they didnt have the Bruce Lee or Attack on Titan (at last that I could see). Also, no special freebies (again, that I saw) but they did have several vendors and special guests. The rain was light enough to not hinder the situation but at least they had all comics under popups and they bagged all your comics for you at the end of the line which was cool of them.

I only hit up one shop and it was the largest of them all when it comes to FCBD
Old 05-07-16, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

My regular shop had a line out the door. My 4-year-old daughter went crazy picking out free comics. I only picked up Rom.

I hit another shop and found some of the free indie books. I didn't find the free Bob's Burgers book anywhere.

I picked up the magazine-size edition of the new Criminal for 30% off. I wanted to find one of the Batman animated figures for a sale price to get signed by Kevin Conroy next week, but everyplace was sold out.
Old 05-07-16, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked up the Bongo Comics Free For All issue. My big purchase today was a 9.0 graded copy of Iron Man #128 which is the part of the Demon in a Bottle storyline. Paid $90 for it.
Old 05-07-16, 08:33 PM

Went a little crazy today. I have two shops and a library within 5 miles of my house, but decided to make a grand circuit of my old neighborhood and ended up hitting 7 different stores in a 90 mile trip. Most stores allowed 4-5 comics, a couple allowed 10 with a donation, and 2 stores allowed 1 of each. Needless to say, I overindulged. Ended up missing one, the Assassins Creed book, not sure if I even saw it today. Bought 20 or so dollar books and some half price current comics.

I have some pictures, but I've been noticing the pics I post here are too large. I use photobucket and just the default way to post images here. Anyone know how I can shrink them a bit?
Old 05-07-16, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll go through my stash and see what I want to keep and what I would be willing to trade, I'd just want the Marvel Civil War stuff. I'll need to see a copy of the full list. I do have an extra Lady Mechanika copy that I would trade, as well.

I'll post back later.
Old 05-07-16, 09:06 PM

Took our 4-year-old daughter to the comic book shop a few blocks from our place for the first time and she loved it.

She got a kick out of seeing so many of my G.I. Joe toys up for sale ("Dad, you have that!") and she liked all the swag. She kept wanting to gravitate to the pay books, which is fine, but when I get to choose between getting my kid a free Strawberry Shortcake comic or one for $4, I'm going to steer her toward free. Our kids love Guardians of the Galaxy so she picked a new Rocket Raccoon poster.

They had local comic book artists (can't remember who, sorry) doing free sketches for kids and she asked them for R2-D2 for her and BB-8 for her little sister. Great sketches, she was really excited to watch them go from rudimentary shapes to penciled details to final inks.

Right before we checked out, she picked a She-Hulk button in a Marvel character button bin. It was interesting to see her process as she rumm aged throught them all. She knows Spider-Man, Thor, Hulk, etc. She really likes them, too. She saw She-Hulk and says, "Oh. There's a girl Hulk?" I reply, "Yeah, that's She-Hulk. She's really tough." She snatches it up and says, "Her. I want her button." That was pretty cool.

Also, the comic book shop had Journey's Greatest Hits playing and she and I sang along here and there so people thought we were cute.
Old 05-07-16, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In Tampa for work so I hit Heroes Haven where the first 150 in line got all 50 titles in a bundle (after that, it was 3 per person). FCBD was complete by 10:02am.
Old 05-07-16, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Went a little crazy today. I have two shops and a library within 5 miles of my house, but decided to make a grand circuit of my old neighborhood and ended up hitting 7 different stores in a 90 mile trip. Most stores allowed 4-5 comics, a couple allowed 10 with a donation, and 2 stores allowed 1 of each. Needless to say, I overindulged. Ended up missing one, the Assassins Creed book, not sure if I even saw it today. Bought 20 or so dollar books and some half price current comics.

I have some pictures, but I've been noticing the pics I post here are too large. I use photobucket and just the default way to post images here. Anyone know how I can shrink them a bit?
You can resize pics with Fotor:

http://fotor.com
Old 05-07-16, 09:31 PM

Damn Valeyard! I was just about to post that story wins best story of the day, but know you're making me think.

I'll trade you my ~150 books of 49/50 for your tiny bundle.

Surprisingly, I got only one each of like 20 of them. Most stores seemed to not have all 50, at least by the time I got to them.
Old 05-07-16, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I got 26.
Old 05-08-16, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My days of running down to Free Comic Book Day are likely over. Every store I attend is always packed since most stores have every square inch of floor space devoted to stock and merchandise. The promotion has gotten too successful, though it is fun seeing that many comic fans actually in stores.
Old 05-08-16, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The place I went to today actually gets to use the parking lot and not just the store itself.
No other businesses are open Saturdays in the business park so plenty of parking and lots of space for them to have a shitload of people.
Old 05-08-16, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
You can resize pics with Fotor:

http://fotor.com
Not in iOS apparently.
Old 05-08-16, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was going to go to a shop for the first time in a decade but ended up sleeping in instead. I really didn't see any free books that interested me anyway. Not that I really want any physical media cluttering up the place.
Old 05-08-16, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sven View Post
I was going to go to a shop for the first time in a decade but ended up sleeping in instead. I really didn't see any free books that interested me anyway. Not that I really want any physical media cluttering up the place.
That's very hipster of you. Why are you in this thread again?
Old 05-08-16, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
That's very hipster of you.
Yes not having a ton of space for a bunch of floppies is totally hipster of me.

Last edited by sven; 05-08-16 at 11:18 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.