Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic Elitists

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-15, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Comic Elitists

i always thought a center aisle stand in a mall would work for comics. i know i would always browse through spinner racks (as long as theyre not over stuffed) and more then likely impulse buy and the rent is a lot cheaper.

and I also dont want to sound like all comic owners a aholes. A lot shops i go to tend stop at while on vacation are really cool and are pleasant. and as a positive story the shop i go to now. i went in years ago and he recommended the first trade of the walking dead with a money back offer if i didnt like it. so i bought it and for a few months would check in and buy the new tpb. then i changed jobs and never went back.

I went to the guardians of the galaxy 7pm showing and when i left the shop owner was in the front of the line for the next showing and he greeted me by name (after years) and bs'ed with me for a few minutes. I appreciated that and from then went back to his store for my physical purchases
Old 10-26-15, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDude
Re: collecting what you like & not caring what others think, I'm a guy and back in the '80's had an interest in collecting the DC fantasy/sword & sorcery comic Amethyst, but never did because I thought it was too "girly" and not "macho" enough. So, I never got this. However, now that I'm much older & more open-minded, I would buy a color collected edition of these original comics in a heartbeat (I never got the b&w Showcase volume a while back since color was such a huge part of the series).
Fun fact - the first two comic series I asked about at the two comic shops I went to when younger were Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Spawn. They were very polite... and then when I asked them to track down anything they could find from the 50s and 60s "Real Love" titles, theh made every effort.

I also bought Amethyst and Dazzler from them..
Old 10-26-15, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Thanks! So far it's been going good and we are now working with the Regal Cinema to do promotional stuff together. We are expecting a spike in business in December with Christmas and the Star Wars premiere.
It baffles me that more shops don't advertise/sell in the lobby before and after the big Marvel films. Guaranteed sales, surely?

Actually, I'd be REALLY interested to hear how you do regarding Regal and SWars and so forth. Please post about it!
Old 10-26-15, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by kodave
I know that I would definitely browse a comic shop if it was right near any of the movie theaters I hit up, but I can't say I'd be spending much money there. I don't buy new single issues, any back issues I want for stuff not collected in trade I generally buy off eBay or MyComicShop.Com, and I haven't seen an LCS who can really compete with the price and convenience of buying trades online through IST, or less frequently, Amazon. I'm the type of person who will research things and read reviews online rather than ask an employee at an LCS for recommendations. And I don't do card games or buy statues/other memorabilia. So basically I'm someone a shop owner shouldn't and wouldn't give a shit about.
Our last truly-nearby LCS shut last year, so now I feel less guilty about not going there more often (particularly since it was the owners' decision, not lack of business), because monthly titles have basically priced me out, and nowhere can match The Internet's prices.

I try to buy from shops when I can, but usually it's restricted to things that are otherwise OOP and hard to find.

Last edited by ntnon; 10-26-15 at 08:38 PM.