Marvel Announces Cosplay Variants

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 08-21-15, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/ma...s/1100-153303/

Some of your favorite Cosplay costumes are headed to the covers of some of your favorite comics.

This is really cool on Marvel's part. We've seen the Cosplayers at conventions. They go above and beyond in creating and wearing their costumes. Now they will be getting the front cover treatment. You might recognize some of these Cosplayers and costumes. I know I've seen them at conventions before.

You’ve seen them at conventions, now see them on the covers of some of Marvel’s newest comic titles later this year! Today, Marvel is pleased to present your new look at the upcoming COSPLAY VARIANT program. See your favorite Marvel characters like you’ve never seen before, as mighty Marvel fans bring them to life for 20 exciting covers!

“Cosplayers are taking over,” says Marvel SVP Sales & Marketing David Gabriel. “Each convention I go to, it seems like there are more and more fans dressing up like their favorite Marvel characters. These homemade, hand-crafted costumes are so elaborate, it looks like they leapt off the comic page. The Cosplay Variant initiative is our way of supporting a community that supports us.”

Most look pretty lame. I think this is the only one worth getting if I was still buying books. There's more at the link at top.

Old 08-21-15, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Marvel Announces Cosplay Variants

Just when I thought marvel comics couldn't get any worse.
Old 08-21-15, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
Just when I thought marvel comics couldn't get any worse.
I've seen tons way better than these losers at conventions. No effort whatsoever on the part of Marvel.
Old 08-21-15, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
I've seen tons way better than these losers at conventions. No effort whatsoever on the part of Marvel.
No shit!

This year at heroes I think I met the real Gwen and Pete:

Old 08-21-15, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I like the cosplay covers; they're a ton better than those stupid "action figure" ones and play tribute to an important part of comic 'culture.' Neat idea.

Some of them do look more amateurish but I imagine part of that is by design to capture the casual 'everyman' vibe of cosplay rather than having some super perfect model.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (06-20-21)
Old 08-21-15, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Some of them do look more amateurish but I imagine part of that is by design to capture the casual 'everyman' vibe of cosplay rather than having some super perfect model.
Agreed, that's what I immediately thought looking at the covers and I thought it was obvious that was the aim.

Calling them losers? Come on now.
John Pannozzi (06-20-21)
Old 08-21-15, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I kinda like the action figure ones. Not that I'd ever pay the premium to get them, but I thought they were kinda cool.
Old 08-21-15, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Agreed, that's what I immediately thought looking at the covers and I thought it was obvious that was the aim.

Calling them losers? Come on now.
Yeah, why not? You put yourself out there you are bound to be criticized. To me the pics. are lazy and Marvel could have picked better. It is not obvious that they want to look stupid. I don't think they actually want to come across as stupid looking but the pics make it so. Who in their right mind wants to look retarded when you are trying your best to look like your favorite superhero. If you like them it's cool. I don't.
Old 08-21-15, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

These look amazingly bad.
Old 08-21-15, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

I like the idea but this attempt is awful and lazy.
I see so much better than most of those at SDCC. The simple poses are just boring.
Nice try. Better luck next time. Maybe next time do some actual work to make them cool.
Old 08-21-15, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I kinda like the action figure ones. Not that I'd ever pay the premium to get them, but I thought they were kinda cool.
Initially the action figure idea seemed clever but now it feels to me like it's been done to death.
Old 08-21-15, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, why not? You put yourself out there you are bound to be criticized. To me the pics. are lazy and Marvel could have picked better. It is not obvious that they want to look stupid. I don't think they actually want to come across as stupid looking but the pics make it so. Who in their right mind wants to look retarded when you are trying your best to look like your favorite superhero. If you like them it's cool. I don't.
To me there's a difference between saying the covers or the costumes themselves look bad, stupid, lazy, or whatever versus insulting the people in the costumes by calling them losers for dressing up.

I don't really get that mentality, especially on a forum filled with geeky/nerdy interests. Just seems unnecessary.

And personally, I don't disagree that some look absolutely terrible.

Last edited by fumanstan; 08-21-15 at 01:20 PM.
John Pannozzi (06-20-21)
Old 08-21-15, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Different degrees of losers. This is so far over to the end of the loser spectrum that I can't wrap my head around it.
Old 08-21-15, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

I do give Marvel credit for the idea, I've been surprised we hadn't seen something like this before paying homage to the cosplay community since most of it relies on superhero costumes. However, the execution is fairly terrible. The pics look amateurish and many of the cosplayers' costumes have very ordinary efforts. I also get the feeling Marvel purposely picked average-looking people instead of professional models. It would be like going to a cosplay contest and picking middle-of-the-road efforts as the winners.

There are some incredible looking Marvel cosplay costumes. One guy made an awesome Galactus costume that actually lights up.

Old 08-21-15, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Thor has really let himself go.

Old 08-21-15, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To me there's a difference between saying the covers or the costumes themselves look bad, stupid, lazy, or whatever versus insulting the people in the costumes by calling them losers for dressing up.

I don't really get that mentality, especially on a forum filled with geeky/nerdy interests. Just seems unnecessary.

And personally, I don't disagree that some look absolutely terrible.
I can give the guy an "A" for effort but it looks like shit. Hence, loser.

^ Loser.

^Winner. Dude looks bad ass. This could be a cover; just change the background.
Old 08-21-15, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

^Winner. Dude looks bad ass. This could be a cover; just change the background.
Wait, there's a Thor in that picture? I'm distracted by something in the background.
Old 08-21-15, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I can give the guy an "A" for effort but it looks like shit. Hence, loser.
To each their own, I think it's pretty weak to judge people like that though. Like I said, it's one thing to say it looks like shit, another to call the guy a loser for it.

Last edited by fumanstan; 08-21-15 at 02:03 PM.
John Pannozzi (06-20-21)
Old 08-21-15, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To each their own, I think it's pretty weak to judge people like that though. Like I said, it's one thing to say it looks like shit, another to call the guy a loser for it.
LOL...did you read what you wrote? You just called my judgement weak. Hence, no difference to what I was doing. You know nothing of me as I know nothing of these people. The reality is the world is harsh and I am a harsh judge of what people do. Do it right or do nothing at all.
Old 08-21-15, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Initially the action figure idea seemed clever but now it feels to me like it's been done to death.
Oh, I thought we were talking about the ones where the covers are drawn like they're action figures in packaging:

http://www.toonzone.net/comics/solic...ant-cover-art/

I'm not a big fan of posing real action figures for covers either. I think the real-worldness of both the action figures and the cosplayers is not really what I want in a comic book.

Then again, I don't collect variant covers and I rarely collect monthlies, so who cares what I think...
Old 08-21-15, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

LOL...did you read what you wrote? You just called my judgement weak. Hence, no difference to what I was doing. You know nothing of me as I know nothing of these people. The reality is the world is harsh and I am a harsh judge of what people do. Do it right or do nothing at all.
There's a difference in calling out one's words versus insulting the people themselves, but it sounds like you don't understand it at all. Anyway, at least you explained the type of person you are. Carry on then.

Last edited by fumanstan; 08-21-15 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-21-15, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's a difference in calling out one's words versus insulting the people themselves, but it sounds like you don't understand it at all. Anyway, at least you explained the type of person you are. Carry on then.
It seems I am totally fucking with your PC sensibilities. If you respond to this I know for sure I am. Sorry about that.
Old 08-21-15, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It seems I am totally fucking with your PC sensibilities. If you respond to this I know for sure I am. Sorry about that.
Not really, I just think it's funny when people in to nerdy things judge other people doing nerdy things. It's not even about being PC, I have no qualms saying the guy on the Thor cover looks stupid.
John Pannozzi (06-20-21)
Old 08-21-15, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,066 Likes on 646 Posts

Great idea but terrible execution.

Really? These are the best they could do? I saw better cosplayers at my local comic book store for free comic book day.

I understand the everyman thing, but at the same time, you don't want the cover to look like shit.
Old 08-21-15, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not really, I just think it's funny when people in to nerdy things judge other people doing nerdy things. It's not even about being PC, I have no qualms saying the guy on the Thor cover looks stupid.
Well, I thought you were coming off as such...you know....the guy who says every kid deserves a trophy for participating. Thanks for clarifying that you aren't. Anyhoo...I still think they're losers for missing the mark.

Last edited by mrhan; 08-21-15 at 04:29 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.