Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

The First Annual DVDTalk Science Fiction Comic Book Challenge - July 2015

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-15, 07:54 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: The First Annual DVDTalk Science Fiction Comic Book Challenge - July 2015

Wow. I'm finally reading The Massive from Dark Horse, and it's fantastic. It's written by Brian Wood, who I guess is known from some Marvel titles and Vertigo's DMZ.

I started it this afternoon and was only going to read an issue or three as a break from reading Micronauts, but now I'm 15 issues in of what I think is a 30 issue complete story. Not sure if I'll be able to stop reading until I'm done.
Old 07-29-15, 10:21 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I started the fantasy thread. Not much convo this month.

Now, back to the Micronauts!
Old 07-30-15, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I read through 'The Incal' series (by Alejandro Jodorowsky, art with 'Moebius'; published by Humanoids) which has great surreal artwork and imagery with odd/dated metaphysical spirituality in a plot that mixes comedy and space opera but at times feels overly familiar, like a psychedelic Star Wars. It's inconsistent in pacing but the great imagery makes it well worth a read. The tone feels similar to Fifth Element but I can't see any basis for the apparent lawsuit. As a fan of Alejandro Jodorowsky's films I was slightly disappointed by the plot but attempts at depth are appreciated. Apparently this forms the basis for the 'Jodoverse' and it seems nicely suited for world building seemingly ripe for possible payoff in future series (Metabarons, Technopriests, Incal prequel/sequel).

Last edited by Undeadcow; 07-30-15 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-30-15, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I've heard people recommend Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic but I'm not really sure why. The first storyline is really promising and there are some really cool mid-series homages but parts of it fell flat with me. At a mid-point it seemed to lose it's footing falling into a 'flavor of the week' vibe before suddenly rushing a conclusion. There's a war going on, which makes for good atmosphere, but so much of the focus is small scale it feels lacking that the war rarely takes forefront and feels hanging. The 'War' mini-series follow-up did little to resolve some of the pacing and a few cliffhanger vibe issues. So far Dawn of the Jedi has been my favorite Star Wars book (have been trying to read them in chronological order). There is a big gap between KotOR and Knight Errand books so Star Wars expanded universe seemingly requires prose reading.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 07-30-15 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-04-15, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

This challenge was a good opportunity to break out a random IST blind buy, Mystery in Space from the DC Pulp Fiction Library. It's a slim collection of stories from the '40s to the '80s, sci-fi stuff from the likes of Murphy Anderson, Jack Kirby, and others, with some recurring heroes such as Captain Comet and Star Hawkins. Adam Strange was the closest thing to a superhero.

I also had the chance to re-read Legion of Super-Heroes The Great Darkness Saga, one of my favorite Legion arcs. Yes, they're superheroes, but they're in the 30th century so I'm counting them. One of these days I need to go through my
Spoiler:
New Gods omnibuses since I'm not that well-versed in the material
and then read this arc again.

I also finished the five-part Aldebaran series, by Leo. I mentioned before that it's a French-language series but the author is actually Brazilian who moved to France. I'll read the next series one of these days.

Last edited by davidh777; 08-05-15 at 01:32 AM.