Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Memory Lane Idea, or, How Old Are You?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-15, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Memory Lane Idea, or, How Old Are You?

If only time travel were possible....
Old 06-04-15, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Not really related to this thread, but thanks for that link! Last year, I was trying to identify some of the comics on the rack in these screenshots.

Car 54, Where Are You? #3 was easy enough to identify, which led to a few others, but I soon gave up. That site made it easier. Looks to be a mix of comics from May-June '62 (too bad the rack didn't get turned around in the scene so I could see more).
You can compare that Batman cover on the top of the rack here.

http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/batman
Old 06-04-15, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
You can compare that Batman cover on the top of the rack here.

http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/batman
Thanks, but I'm already pretty sure it's Batman #149. That "newsstand" link Trevor provided let me narrow it (and a few others) down to two possibilities (like the Casper comic under it is probably #49). It doesn't make it any easier with the color being so off in the screenshot, but as I said in my earlier post, Car 54 was pretty easy to identify (there were only 8 issues, with two of those being reprints, and I knew the film was made in 1962, so that narrowed it down even more).

These two links should show everything on that rack: May, 1962 and June, 1962

Last edited by Dimension X; 06-04-15 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-04-15, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Great thread. I started collecting when Uncanny X-Men 188 was on the stands of the first Comic Book store I remember setting foot in. I have mentioned this before, but my older brother is who convinced my parents to check out the comic store, and he bought the X-Men issue, but I picked up a bunch of quarter bin Man-Things (from his 11 issue run). He drifted away from collecting comics in fairly short order, and I became the addict. I turn 44 in Sep. this year.
Old 06-04-15, 07:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Apparently, it was May 1991 for me. I had read random issues before then (mostly those late 80s-1990ish Rock N Roll comics about various bands), but that was when I first started collecting. I was late to the comics game at age 12 since I was more of a baseball/football/hockey card kid before then. That changed in May 1991.

Things I remember buying initially from that month:

Superman: The Man of Steel #1 (my friend told me it would be worth a fortune some day!)
Amazing Spider Man #349
Excalibur #39 (and very quickly all the previous back issues as this was my favorite series. Yay paper route money)
Sleepwalker #2 (and #1 from the previous month of course)
Uncanny X-Men #278

I ended up collecting some more series pretty quickly, but these are the ones I definitively remember buying then.
Old 06-04-15, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
If only time travel were possible....
If? Time travel has been possible since 1945. I've probably said too much...
Old 06-05-15, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

First comic I bought:

Bought it in a Walden's Books. Cover says March 1988. Thought it was neat but I didn't buy another comic until:

Saw this comic and was hooked on comic books and the Marvel Universe.
Old 06-05-15, 01:51 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Yes you have, great grandson. Prepare your pod.
Old 06-05-15, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
So, they stopped using navy destroyers and made it more portable? If you can't say; that's cool...
Old 06-05-15, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Trevor and I are the same age. My earliest, vivid, off-the-rack comic book owing memories begin with Batman 237 so that would put me at 4 years old when I started. By June of '75, I was already starting to wind down.

From this particular month it looks like the only book I remember having is

And brother, do I remember it (John Buscema draws a blonde skinny dipping in the first few panels- hubba hubba).

I also vividly remember seeing that exact Dark Shadows issue at a neighbors house the next year. It made an impression partly because besides being Dark Shadows which was cool, it was a case of "hey someone else besides me likes comics!". And it was also that I always wondered who voluntarily collected Gold Key books? The art always looked so rudimentary compared to the Marvel and DC stuff.

Going back through that site (which is awesome BTW, Huge thanks for bringing it to peoples attention, Trevor!) it looks like my prime comic book owning years early on were '72-74. I remember owning a lot of DCs when the price was 20¢ and they had the 100 page Super-Spectaculars. But I also remember my enthusiasm waning around '75 and '76. In fact my comic book buying (other than from trips to the flea market) would be really spotty between '75 and '79. It wasn't until I started 7th grade that I started to become a regular purchaser/reader. The Superman film helped re-kindled my passion for the stuff, and for the first time I started trying to compile runs.

But that didn't last too long and by winter of 80-81 (and the jump to 50¢) I was out again.

Been like that for the rest of my life. Periods of intense passion, followed by stretches of apathy.
Old 06-07-15, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I kind of envy you guys. As a kid, purple Silver Age writing would've been simply perfect for me. As it is, I got into comics in my teen years as a sort of "alternative" thing when I discovered more "adult" books like Moore, Gaiman, the Vertigo line, etc. It was actually pretty exciting and new to me at the time.
Old 06-07-15, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

It actually took me a few years to come around on the Vertigo stuff when it first started getting popular. I finally caved after a couple of years when everyone kept saying that Gaiman was doing genius stuff in Sandman.
Old 06-13-15, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

This is the Marvel Comic that got me into Marvel and turned me into a Marvel aficionado--in 6th Grade. The debut in Strange Tales of Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD:

It was a short jump from this to Spiderman and Fantastic Four, the X-Men, the Avengers, Daredevil, etc.