Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Gerry Conway on creators rights and DC's twisted logic.

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Gerry Conway on creators rights and DC's twisted logic.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-15, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
Re: Gerry Conway on creators rights and DC's twisted logic.

I do think it's a bit messed up that the movies (and cartoons)take so many cues from classic comic book stories and don't credit the creators. Like X Men 2 and God Loves Man Kills.
Old 04-29-15, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I don't know if Ditko gets any royalties on his comics but he has said that he gets nothing from the Spider-Man movies even tho he's credited as co-creator.
I haven't seen the quote, but I think he might have been more motivated by his political beliefs. I do remember the In Search of Steve Dikto documentary mentioning that Dikto refused the money freely offered to him when the first Raimi Spider-Man movie came out because of his principles.

I have also read (in Back Issue, IIRC) that Dikto left Marvel because he was pissed that he was not getting writing credit on Spider-Man and Dr. Strange, since all Stan was doing at that point was filling the word balloons. So there was a time when he had at least some desire for more credit, perhaps back before he completely fell into the Randian abyss.
Old 04-29-15, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

True. That documentary also mentions how Ditko had an issue with how Stan worded his involvement as Spider-Man's co-creator - "I have always considered Steve Ditko to be Spider-Man’s co-creator." Steve did not like the word "considered."

Old 04-29-15, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Part of the problem with early comics is one person comes up with the idea and another person fleshes out the look and design of the character. A lot of the Marvel characters were probably initially thought of by Stan, then he writes down the idea and the artist creates the visuals from the description. So I guess it depends on what you consider "created" to mean. Does it mean just the "idea" or also the "implementation" of the idea.
Old 04-29-15, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For Spider-Man, the story goes....

Stan had an idea for a teenaged hero named "Spider-Man." He pitched it to Jack Kirby who revamped his old Fly idea (while at Archie during the 50s) and drew up a few pages. Stan didn't like it and asked Ditko for his version of the idea. Ditko pretty much did everything else.
Old 04-29-15, 08:50 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I feel like if this was the case, Vertigo properties would have been taken advantage of a lot more. Y The Last Man has been in development hell for years, as was Preacher until the AMC series got moving. Sandman and Death have both been in "in the works" for about 20 years.
DC/WB doesn't own the movie/TV rights to Y the Last Man or Preacher. I think the rights to Vertigo titles vary on a case-by-case basis.
Old 04-29-15, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by John Pannozzi
DC/WB doesn't own the movie/TV rights to Y the Last Man or Preacher. I think the rights to Vertigo titles vary on a case-by-case basis.
I think they've always had right of first refusal on creator-owned properties, but once they turned them down the creators were then free to shop them around to other producers.

I think that the Vertigo contracts have become less favorable to creators in recent years, which is why we're seeing so few Vertigo titles from a-listers, with most of them taking their stuff to Image or Avatar.
Old 04-30-15, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I consider Ditko the true creator of Spider-Man as we know him, at least much more than Stan Lee.
Old 04-30-15, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

That's why I don't like buying DC products. They screw over their artists and writers and as a result no one wants to create anything new for them, which is why we get "new" characters like Blue Beetle IV an Uncle Sam III. The company just regurgitates the same material on a monthly basis, with 20 different variations.
Old 04-30-15, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I consider Ditko the true creator of Spider-Man as we know him, at least much more than Stan Lee.
Ditko would not like the way you phrased that sentence.

Originally Posted by brayzie
That's why I don't like buying DC products. They screw over their artists and writers and as a result no one wants to create anything new for them, which is why we get "new" characters like Blue Beetle IV an Uncle Sam III. The company just regurgitates the same material on a monthly basis, with 20 different variations.

To be fair, Marvel does the exact same thing when it comes to creators and regurgitation. Look at Miles Morales (Ultimate Spider-Man II) or the female Thor. And Jack Kirby's heirs had to sue just to get his credit on the books, something Marvel should have done a long long time ago. The disrespect Marvel has shown to Jack Kirby lasted for decades. Not to mention all the other Marvel creators who weren't lucky enough to be Brian Michael Bendis.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 04-30-15 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-30-15, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Marvel knew that Kirby had a legitimate claim to a lot of their intellectual property as at least co-creator. Their lawyers probably told them over the decades to minimize Kirby's credit so it wouldn't be used against them in a lawsuit.
Old 04-30-15, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard

To be fair, Marvel does the exact same thing when it comes to creators and regurgitation. Look at Miles Morales (Ultimate Spider-Man II) or the female Thor. And Jack Kirby's heirs had to sue just to get his credit on the books, something Marvel should have done a long long time ago. The disrespect Marvel has shown to Jack Kirby lasted for decades. Not to mention all the other Marvel creators who weren't lucky enough to be Brian Michael Bendis.
I stopped buying Marvel Comics when they used one page of the already 22 page count just for re-telling what's been going on in previous issues and then raising the average price of their comics to $4.
But I still watch some of their movies so I'm going to stop that too.
Old 04-30-15, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

I don't necessarily disagree with you but it is said that Stan's idea was to make him a teenager with real world problems which is what really pushed that character into the stratosphere, at least popularity-wise, at the time.
Old 04-30-15, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I don't necessarily disagree with you but it is said that Stan's idea was to make him a teenager with real world problems which is what really pushed that character into the stratosphere, at least popularity-wise, at the time.
Stan definitely had a hand in Spider-Man. I am not sure if the character ever becomes as popular as he became without Ditko's influence.
Old 05-01-15, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Stan had the initial idea. Spider-Man started with him so he deserves the creator credit for that alone. Ditko took that idea and gave it form and shape; quite necessary in a graphic medium. So he deserve creator credit for that. Clear cut case of co-creators in my book.
Old 05-03-15, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Neil Adams chimes in: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/05/...-gerry-conway/
Old 05-03-15, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Just reed this article about the creator of Gordon's wife, used on Gotham. He states that the check is only like 45 an episode anyway, but they still wouldn't pay:

http://comicbastards.com/comics/77685/

Mark Waid on the topic of royalties, and also brings up Levitz:

http://thrillbent.com/blog/how-dc-contracts-work/

Last edited by fujishig; 05-03-15 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-03-15, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Roy Thomas recently stated this:

You've said you actually didn't want to create too many things for Marvel. Why was that?

I knew I wouldn't own any of it. I accepted the work for hire, and as a result I didn't want to create characters that much because I knew I would get resentful if they ever made movies and TV shows and merchandising out of it that I didn't get money and credit for. I was never going to sue over it or anything like that, I just knew what I was doing when I did it, and I wasn't going to claim otherwise later. Even if you don't try, you have to make up a few heroes here and there, and you have to make up villains. You can't keep using the same characters all the time.
Full article: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...-thomas-791320
Old 05-03-15, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's definitely why Marvel and DC haven't come up with a lot of new characters in the past twenty or thirty years.
Old 05-03-15, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Just reed this article about the creator of Gordon's wife, used on Gotham. He states that the check is only like 45 an episode anyway, but they still wouldn't pay:

http://comicbastards.com/comics/77685/
That reminds me of when Star Trek: Voyager started. Originally Robert Duncan McNeil was going to reprise his role as Cadet Locarno from the TNG episode "The First Duty," but when the producers realized they'd have to pay royalties, they changed the name to Tom Paris and modified his backstory very slightly so they could claim he was an original character.

Later on they were going to have a Vulcan engineer named Taurik who had been in another episode of TNG, but they changed it to his twin brother Vorik for the same reason.
Old 05-10-15, 11:34 AM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

The plot thickens...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/05/...so-succinctly/

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/05/...s-to-creators/

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/05/...ator-payments/

Last edited by John Pannozzi; 05-10-15 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-10-15, 08:36 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Maybe reason for optimism, but I'll believe it when I hear it from the creators.
Old 05-16-15, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

And the apology from Gerry

http://gerryconway.tumblr.com/post/1...-dan-didio-jim