Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Books and Magazines about comics

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-15, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Books and Magazines about comics

Much like everything else, websites like Newsarma and Comic Book Resources made magazines obsolete.
Old 03-26-15, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ytrez
If you're into DC Comics then these books from Taschen are great (Note - only the golden and silver age volumes have been released so far):

And I'll second TwoMorrows American Comic Book Chronicles series as they are incredibly comprehensive and well done retrospectives.
Are the other books ever coming out? It's been almost two years since the Silver Age book came out I think.
Old 03-26-15, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I know Amazon never really matters when it comes to dates but they list the Bronze Age coming out this August.

And I didn't realized the 80s/90s period is now known as the Dark Age. Is that official? I generally see that era listed as the Copper Age.
Old 03-26-15, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
Much like everything else, websites like Newsarma and Comic Book Resources made magazines obsolete.
For news, that makes total sense. But what about older stuff like what Back Issue seems to cover (I don't read those sites so I don't know)? I know there are fan blogs, but those seem like they might be spotty and inconsistent.
Old 03-26-15, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard

And I didn't realized the 80s/90s period is now known as the Dark Age. Is that official? I generally see that era listed as the Copper Age.
I first heard of it from this book...which is really good by the way. TwoMorrows again! I love them.

Old 03-26-15, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It is also referred to as the "Iron Age" but I've heard it called the Copper Age first.
Old 03-26-15, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

Old 03-26-15, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

THE COMICS JOURNAL is what kept me interested in comics, long after I stopped reading. Critical reviews of fan-favorites like X-MEN; interviews with creators who had big chips on their shoulders, particularly during the seventies and eighties; debates like the return of Jack Kirby's original artwork, the tyranny of Jim Shooter, lawsuits against Harlan Ellison, the onslaught of black-and-white magazines, the rise and fall of Image comics...

Back issues are available online with a subscription to the magazine. If you want a lively, no holds-barred look at the industry during its most interesting times, read TCJ.
Old 03-27-15, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I know Amazon never really matters when it comes to dates but they list the Bronze Age coming out this August.

It's been called that for over a decade in the stuff I've read. It is intended as a name acknowledging the violent anti-heroes that became popular and swept comics, not to mention the grittier scenarios suffered by the bigger heroes (Batman's back broken, Superman's death, the clone saga, virtually everything published by early Image, etc).
Old 04-02-15, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just placed an order for back issues of, er, Back Issue at twomorrows.com. They have a "wondercon" coupon going through Sunday, 40% off print and 29% off digital.

Trevor, I also pre-ordered the issue focusing on 100-Page Super Spectaculars.
Old 04-03-15, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 985 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I just placed an order for back issues of, er, Back Issue at twomorrows.com. They have a "wondercon" coupon going through Sunday, 40% off print and 29% off digital.

Trevor, I also pre-ordered the issue focusing on 100-Page Super Spectaculars.
Ooh, sweet deal! Thanks for posting this. Does anyone know of a site that lists the general contents of each issue so that I don't have to click on every one to see which I want to buy?
Old 04-03-15, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Thought a catch-all thread about these might get some discussion.

I've always been into all aspects of the hobby, not just reading the things; so books and magazine and newspapers about comic books have always had a pull for me.

I was a CBG subscriber on and off for maybe a decade; how many of you remember that newspaper?

Ironically, my collection of CBGs is pretty much the one thing I've thrown away in the last 30 years.
I loved the old Comics Buyers Guide when it was in the newspaper format. I remember paying about $14 for a one year's subscription which was 52 issues. Seemed like a great deal. It was also the best way to get an idea of the current realistic values of newer and older comics on the market and a great way to learn about other titles and had great articles on the history of comics.
Old 04-03-15, 04:42 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

New arrivals because of this thread:
Old 04-04-15, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good stuff, Trevor.
Old 04-04-15, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

every year at nycc i buy a book at twomorrows to read on the train ride home...im really fighting the urge to order a couple.

im not even sure what the deal is at the nycc i believe its 50% off
Old 04-15-15, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Love the TwoMorrows books- especially the American Comic Book Chronicles series, which I discovered last fall. I love reference books and these do a spectacular job of imparting a ton of referential information while knitting it together and giving it a narrative through-line. And they're well illustrated to boot. Just real fun, informative books.

TwoMorrows seems to have at least one 50% off sale on it's books a year (around Black Friday usually).

Another book I really love is

It's an anecdotal trip through comic book land/history from a-z that's enormously fun to dip into here and there (rather than reading it straight through). It's not comprehensive on any given subject, but it's slyly witty and quite entertaining. For example- Under the subject of Bob Kane, rather than rehashing all of the guys sins down through the years, it instead merely offers up a choice selection of quotes taken from his autobiography. Those do more to expose him for what he was and mock him for it than any conventional screed of righteous indignation could have.
Well worth tracking down.
Old 04-15-15, 08:01 AM

I like Mike Richardson, and found one for $10 shipped, thanks Paul.
Old 08-21-15, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

TwoMorrows is running another sale, 40% off all print editions through midnight Sunday.
Old 08-23-15, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone read The Secret History of Wonder Woman? It looks mildly interesting. I know WW's original creator had all sorts of unusual ideas about life and women that DC has mostly scrubbed from the character.
Old 08-23-15, 09:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Anyone read The Secret History of Wonder Woman? It looks mildly interesting. I know WW's original creator had all sorts of unusual ideas about life and women that DC has mostly scrubbed from the character.
This isn't helpful but I remember coming across something where Mark Waid said the book was a pile of bunk.
Old 08-24-15, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Waid does have a very deep knowledge of DC history, so that is disappointing to hear about. Supposedly he's a terror in DC trivia contests.
Old 08-24-15, 01:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Waid does have a very deep knowledge of DC history, so that is disappointing to hear about. Supposedly he's a terror in DC trivia contests.
Here's the Tweet for whatever it's worth: https://twitter.com/markwaid/status/598351058373517312
Old 12-17-15, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by ytrez
If you're into DC Comics then these books from Taschen are great (Note - only the golden and silver age volumes have been released so far):

Originally Posted by madcougar
Are the other books ever coming out? It's been almost two years since the Silver Age book came out I think.
Amazon has the Bronze Age in stock with a release date of last October. Did anyone pick it up? I'm considering it with one of those Amazon 25% promo codes.
Old 12-18-15, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Amazon has the Bronze Age in stock with a release date of last October. Did anyone pick it up? I'm considering it with one of those Amazon 25% promo codes.
I had the Bronze Age pre-ordered and got it on release. Nice book, just like the others.
Old 12-18-15, 08:32 AM

Is there a new code? The last one I knew of expired the 16th I think. I just tried it on this......

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.