Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC Comics Cancels "Batgirl" Joker Variant Cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-15, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: DC Comics Cancels "Batgirl" Joker Variant Cover

Holy shit, I'm gonna have to track down the darker stuff.
Old 03-20-15, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Preterite
And the Batman cover is not an apt comparison. Batman is still the protagonist, the hero on that cover, crashing through the window and ready to stop the villain. The Batgirl cover reduces her to a simpering wreck, not a hero but a victim. Sure, the Joker has done terrible things to Babs, but he has also done terrible things to Bruce and I doubt we'd ever see him represented on a cover this way.
Bane was shown breaking Batman's back on a cover during the Knightfall crossover. Heroes are shown in peril all the time on covers.
Old 03-20-15, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi
Bane was shown breaking Batman's back on a cover during the Knightfall crossover. Heroes are shown in peril all the time on covers.
Exactly. Ive seen more covers with the Justice League laying down beaten up, then charging the cover.

Someone made a fan edit that really changes the cover tho

Last edited by stingermck; 03-20-15 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-20-15, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

But as others have pointed out, that cover fit the tone of of the contents inside and was reprentative of what happens in the book.

The current run of Batgirl is more in line with Scott Pilgrim than The Killing Joke.
Old 03-20-15, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
But as others have pointed out, that cover fit the tone of of the contents inside and was reprentative of what happens in the book.

The current run of Batgirl is more in line with Scott Pilgrim than The Killing Joke.
Alot of variant covers don't fit the tone of the books. The artist Skottie Young is famous for drawing covers featuring "baby" versions of superheroes. His baby superhero covers have appeared on books that contained non-kiddy content on the inside. I would think this would be more offensive - having a kid-friendly cover on a book with more adult content on the inside, rather than vice versa.
Old 03-20-15, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once again, there's an enormous big huge difference between being shown in peril and being shown as a simpering, cowering wreck. In the first case one can still be a hero, in the second one can only be viewed as a victim.

For example, the KnightFall cover you mentioned showed Batman struggling in defiance, not whimpering in defeat.

Alot of variant covers don't fit the tone of the books. The artist Skottie Young is famous for drawing covers featuring "baby" versions of superheroes. His baby superhero covers have appeared on books that contained non-kiddy content on the inside. I would think this would be more offensive - having a kid-friendly cover on a book with more adult content on the inside, rather than vice versa.
I don't think anyone honestly expects the Young covers to reflect the interior content. If they do, a quick flip through the book will obviously show otherwise.

The pulled Batgirl cover, however, is entirely plausible as an indicator of the interior content.
Old 03-20-15, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Thank you, I had never seen these baby variants before since I guess he does mostly Marvel characters. They are completely adorable.

Old 03-20-15, 07:44 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HE DOES THAT?! ahahahaha. I love those covers.
Old 03-20-15, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He did an awesome Spider-Verse promo poster I would love to own, and I'm not even much of a Spider-Man fan.