Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Return of the BatGod (Very recent Batman SPOILERS)

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-14, 10:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone reading the new Batman storyarc by Scott Snyder? His Zero Year arc finally ended after 12 freaking issues, and now his new arc is called EndGame.

Spoiler:
Joker is back again. Seriously what the fuck. This makes three out of four arcs Snyder has written in the New 52 that has featured Joker.

Snyder's New 52 Batman run consists of the following:

1. Court of Owls
2. Death of the Family
3. Zero Year
4. EndGame

The Court of Owls storyarc is the only one that hasn't featured Joker.

Anyway, that's not even the worst thing about EndGame. This storyarc is just fucking stupid. It's on the second issue of the arc now, and I am really hating it already. I sorta kinda liked Snyder's previous three arcs, but EndGame is just really really bad. It takes the whole BatGod thing to the EXTREME baby!

The plot of EndGame in a nutshell:

Joker is back and he has somehow poisoned/mind controlled the Justice League to fight Batman. The first issue featured Batman easily taking down the whole League: Flash, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, all the big hitters he takes down with ease (except Superman who doesn't appear until the last page). It was stupid watching Batman take them all down so easily. (Aquaman was kinda funny though because it played on the whole "Aquaman is lame" thing.)

The second issue is the next big Batman versus Superman fight. Oh my god, this was just pure stupid. Batman had a fucking miniaturized red sun in his gauntlet. Seriously what the hell. Comic science is fucked, but this is just retarded. A miniaturized red sun in Batman's gauntlet?? How does Batman even lift a sun, even a "miniature" one? Next up, Batman has some chewing gum made out of kryptonite that he spits in Superman's eye when Superman gets him in a chokehold. Kryptonite chewing gum...

Reading this issue reminds me so much of that infamous Billy Madison quote, "We are now dumber for having listened to it..."
Old 11-22-14, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Return of the BatGod (Very recent Batman SPOILERS)

Originally Posted by taffer
Spoiler:
The second issue is the next big Batman versus Superman fight. Oh my god, this was just pure stupid. Batman had a fucking miniaturized red sun in his gauntlet. Seriously what the hell. Comic science is fucked, but this is just retarded. A miniaturized red sun in Batman's gauntlet?? How does Batman even lift a sun, even a "miniature" one? Next up, Batman has some chewing gum made out of kryptonite that he spits in Superman's eye when Superman gets him in a chokehold. Kryptonite chewing gum...

Reading this issue reminds me so much of that infamous Billy Madison quote, "We are now dumber for having listened to it..."
That's hilarious. Reminds me of the dumb ass stories they did in the 50's with all the sci fi shit.
Old 11-22-14, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Actually that sounds kinda awesome to me
Old 11-22-14, 02:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't read Zero Year yet, nor this current arc, but I couldn't believe Snyder is already turning back to the Joker after the ridiculousness that was Death of the Family. There's only a million Batman rogues and we're back to Joker right away.

I wonder if this is another mandate from DC (like Zero Year was) to use more Joker, or if Snyder is just out of ideas. Because this just sounds like the same concept as Tower of Babel. And just like Batman was a dummy in that book for allowing the Batcave to get infiltrated, Batman sounds like a dummy here for allowing Joker to live once again. The more extreme they continue to push Joker, the harder it is to justify anyone allowing him to live. How does the Justice League not demand Joker's death at this point? There's no ambiguity with the character. He's just chaotic evil that has proven he can't be contained by anything society or Batman can think of. There's hardly a slippery slope if anyone kills him.
Old 11-22-14, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

That sounds...bad. I am always a year or two behind most current issues, so I haven't read it. It sounds like he's taking a page from Morrison's wacky Silver Age playbook. Which I don't have a real problem with, as long as it fits the story and overall tone. The problem being that mainstream Batman is so far removed from that kind of storytelling these days. It creates huge consistency issues.
Old 11-24-14, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Actually that sounds kinda awesome to me
I actually enjoyed the fight. I don't read comic books for the "science." I read them for the spectacle as it were.

Spoiler:
And Batman in crazy armor pounding Superman to the ground with big-ass gauntlets powered by mini-red suns qualifies as "spectacle" to me.
Old 11-24-14, 10:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by madcougar
I actually enjoyed the fight. I don't read comic books for the "science." I read them for the spectacle as it were.

Spoiler:
And Batman in crazy armor pounding Superman to the ground with big-ass gauntlets powered by mini-red suns qualifies as "spectacle" to me.
I read comics for entertainment too. I don't read them for the "science" since the science is as wrong as wrong can be. There still needs to be an adequate suspension of disbelief though. A spider-bite will never give a person spider-powers, but I can suspend disbelief enough to go along with it.
Spoiler:
However, I cannot suspend disbelief enough for Batman having red suns inside his gauntlets and being strong enough to actually lift a sun. Since when has Batman ever had sun-lifting super-strength? Are his gauntlets like Mjolnir? You just have to be worthy to lift them? "Whosoever holds this gauntlet, if he be worthy, shall possess the POWER OF THE BAT!"
Old 11-24-14, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I think the current storyline is a lot of fun. The reveal at the end of the first part was great as was the recent reveal

Spoiler:
that the Joker has been working at Arkham as orderly Eric Morder.

I have no issues with the over-the-top storytelling and when you get down to it, most people just want to see Batman kick ass using everything in his arsenal. The red sun gauntlets didn't bug me (especially if they've been Palmer-ized) but I did laugh out loud at the Kryptonite chewing gum. I was like "Really? Doesn't Batman know he'll get cancer from that?"

I loved Court of Owls but Snyder lost me with Zero Year. It was a lot of nothing. Death of the Family was okay but it went on too long with too many filler crossovers. Also timing Damian Wayne's death so soon after the DotF conclusion didn't help. It made the whole purpose of DotF irrelevant.

Looking forward to the 3rd part of Endgame.
Old 12-19-14, 05:38 PM
Banned

Batman #37 spoilers

Spoiler:
This is the third part of the Endgame storyarc, which just came out this week.

The whole BatGod vs Justice League is done now thankfully, and this issue was an improvement because of that.

Some very interesting things happened this issue.

Gordon was looking through old newspaper clippings and he noticed Joker in the background of a few of them. The very strange thing? One clipping was from 1910 and the other from 1940. So is Joker some kind of immortal supernatural boogeyman who has been haunting Gotham for at least a century? That seems to imply so...

Also, Joker definitively knows that Batman is Bruce Wayne now. It has been hinted at for a very long time, but it was never definitive until now. The issue ends with Joker blatantly saying "Hello Bruce" to Batman.
Old 12-22-14, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
Spoiler:
Some very interesting things happened this issue.

Gordon was looking through old newspaper clippings and he noticed Joker in the background of a few of them. The very strange thing? One clipping was from 1910 and the other from 1940. So is Joker some kind of immortal supernatural boogeyman who has been haunting Gotham for at least a century? That seems to imply so...

Also, Joker definitively knows that Batman is Bruce Wayne now. It has been hinted at for a very long time, but it was never definitive until now. The issue ends with Joker blatantly saying "Hello Bruce" to Batman.
Spoiler:
I haven't been reading this recently but not really sure how I feel about the implied notion that The Joker is immortal. Seems kind of cheesy to me.

I don't mind that The Joker knows that Bruce is Batman though. It sort of makes sense that he'd eventually figure it out.
Old 02-03-15, 05:58 AM
Banned

Batman #38 SPOILERS

Spoiler:
Crazy Quilt returns! OMG! They never actually call him by the name Crazy Quilt, but you can tell that is who it is meant to be.

Last issue we saw Gordon finding those newspaper clippings from 1910 and 1940 with Joker in the background. This issue Batman finds a picture of what looks like a 1600's Mayflower type ship with Joker. WTF. So Joker is 400+ years old?

Joker is shot, and it should have been fatal. He regenerates from the shot.

It is revealed the virus that Joker has been infecting everyone with came from Joker's spine. It is this virus that basically makes him an immortal regenerating Wolverine-wannabe, but it doesn't work on anyone else. Everyone else infected by it becomes like a zombie.

This storyarc has been some really bizarre stuff. I'm not really sure what to make of the whole thing with Joker being some eternal boogeyman. On one hand, it makes him far creepier than he has ever been since he has been literally haunting Gotham forever. On the other hand, I don't like Joker having a definitive origin or a supernatural origin.
Old 02-03-15, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why not just create a new character with that origin? You'd get the creep factor, without destroying an established character.
Old 02-03-15, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, he's now connected to
Spoiler:
Ra's Al Ghul & Vandal Savage.
Old 02-03-15, 12:18 PM
Banned

I read an interesting theory on another message board.

Spoiler:
Someone posted that this may not actually be happening at all. It may be a Scarecrow story. Maybe Batman was dosed with fear gas and this whole thing of an immortal Joker is just a fear playing out in Batman's head. Maybe none of this is actually real.

That would be an interesting twist. There haven't been any clues to indicate that this is actually a Scarecrow story though, other than that it is all so incredibly bizarre and seems like it may be fear-induced rather than reality.
Old 02-04-15, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
The Scarecrow idea would be a way better twist than suggesting that The Joker is immortal somehow. Not that storylines like this don't get retconned all the time in comics, but still I hate adding some goofy unneeded element to a character.

Last edited by Mike86; 02-04-15 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-05-15, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It sounds like a storyline Marvel would do with one of their established characters. Is it possible this is a prelude to realities leaking over from a parallel universe? On first blush, it's a cool alternative to the traditional story, one that would make a good one-off in some Elseworlds.
Old 02-05-15, 10:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It sounds like a storyline Marvel would do with one of their established characters. Is it possible this is a prelude to realities leaking over from a parallel universe? On first blush, it's a cool alternative to the traditional story, one that would make a good one-off in some Elseworlds.
Well, Convergence is coming in a few months, but I seriously doubt this Batman storyarc is connected to it in anyway.

Another thing I just recently thought of is
Spoiler:
remember when Joker had his face cut off Face/Off style earlier in the New 52? I always hated that idea because 1) it is just stupid and 2) because realistically he would die from massive infection very quickly. Well maybe this whole immortal regenerating thing will explain why he didn't die from infection. He simply can't die. It would also explain his origin about how his acid bath didn't kill him but just bleached his skin white and hair green.
Old 02-06-15, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Check out the just-announced FCBD book from DC - DIVERGENCE. The cover features a robo-inspired Batman. Supposedly, it's the Post-Convergence Batman. He's the one with the bunny ears.

Spoiler:
Old 02-06-15, 11:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Check out the just-announced FCBD book from DC - DIVERGENCE. The cover features a robo-inspired Batman. Supposedly, it's the Post-Convergence Batman. He's the one with the bunny ears.

Spoiler:
Is that seriously the new Post-Convergence Batman? That will be what he looks like in the main Batman title by Snyder and Capullo?

It looks really stupid. It's worse than the AzBats design of the 90s Knightfall era.

I do like the "Hellbat" armor that was used in the most recent Batman & Robin storyarc. I wish they would have used that instead of this stupid bunny ear contraption.
Old 02-06-15, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That post-Convergence Batsuit looks terrible. I wouldn't have wanted it permanently but I actually didn't mind the Azrael Batsuit for a while when Jean Paul was Batman.
Old 02-06-15, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

The suit could be part of the Darksied war. Like anything with comics I refuse to have nerd rage, because its comics and constantly changes

DC has also revealed the first details of its previously top-secret Free Comic Book Day offering. Titled "DC Comics: Divergence," it will feature three eight-page previews of upcoming stories: from Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo's "Batman," the launch of "Darkseid War" in Geoff Johns and Jason Fabok's "Justice League," and Gene Luen Yang's first "Superman" story with John Romita Jr. Free Comic Book Day 2015 happens Saturday, May 2.
Old 02-06-15, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stingermck
The suit could be part of the Darksied war. Like anything with comics I refuse to have nerd rage, because its comics and constantly changes
These kind of drastic changes were more upsetting 20 or 30 years ago, simply because Marvel and DC would stick with them for a few years out of spite. Now the changes usually don't last much longer than 18-24 months, a far more tolerable length of time.

They have already started tweaking New 52's Superman outfit away from Jim Lee's design and closer to the original, classic look:

This one would have been more accepted by fans from the start.
Old 02-06-15, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They did the same thing with Steel during the Doomed story arc. He went from the one that popped up during Morrison's Action Comics run to a version closer to the pre-New52.
Old 02-06-15, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I dunno why, but out of context with the comic that panel seems kinda creepy to me. I think it's the lack of underpants on the outside of the super suit...

There is no way that the bunny-eared robot is the new Batman.

I wonder if this Joker storyline, which I'm not reading, is just a throw-everything-up-on-the-wall-because-continuity-won't-matter-in-a-few-months-anyway sort of thing.
Old 02-06-15, 01:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
They have already started tweaking New 52's Superman outfit away from Jim Lee's design and closer to the original, classic look:

This one would have been more accepted by fans from the start.
It doesn't really look that different to me. Just the gloves and collar are really the only major differences. It still lacks the red trunks so it's still more Jim Lee design than "classic" design.

Superman is also getting a new superpower called "solar flare" which I think is supposed to tie in somehow to this new costume design.

Originally Posted by fujishig
I wonder if this Joker storyline, which I'm not reading, is just a throw-everything-up-on-the-wall-because-continuity-won't-matter-in-a-few-months-anyway sort of thing.
Maybe I am wrong, but it seems like the 25 existing comics will still have continuity. It's the new 24 titles that will be lighter on continuity.

Most of the creative teams on the existing books are staying the same. Snyder and Capullo are still on Batman for example. So I imagine nothing continuity-wise is going to change there. Darkseid War is coming in the Justice League title as well, and that has been building up since Forever Evil, so I imagine it's going to have continuity as well.

Last edited by taffer; 02-06-15 at 01:35 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.