Make a bold statement about comics

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Make a bold statement about comics

Old 11-05-14, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 835 Likes on 704 Posts
Re: Make a bold statement about comics

Originally Posted by John Pannozzi
Erik Larsen's Savage Dragon is the best superhero comic book series ever.
That series needs to be released as an omnibus.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (05-19-22)
Old 11-05-14, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by John Pannozzi
Erik Larsen's Savage Dragon is the best superhero comic book series ever.
I agree. It's the only comic I've been reading consistently for the last 22 years.
John Pannozzi (05-19-22)
Old 11-05-14, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Wait, did you say Jim Aparo? Are those available in trades?
Those stories were good but I can't stand Breyfogle and Aparo's art was in a serious decline. It wasn't the inker's fault, either. If you look at the Outsider art it was just as bad and he inked a few of those. His best work was in the late 60's and 70's on BB, Batman and Detective. I am a huge Aparo fan but at the end it really was bad.

His best work was compiled in the Legends of the Dark Knight Jim Aparo Vol. 1 and 2. I thought if Neal Adams never came around Aparo's version of Batman would have been the definitive one...or maybe Marshall Rogers version. All other artists versions pale in comparison.
Old 11-05-14, 08:38 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
I can't stand Breyfogle
Breyfogle is my favorite artist of all time.
Old 11-05-14, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
Breyfogle is my favorite artist of all time.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I do own most of his Batman work. They were good stories.
Old 11-05-14, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Those stories were good but I can't stand Breyfogle and Aparo's art was in a serious decline. It wasn't the inker's fault, either. If you look at the Outsider art it was just as bad and he inked a few of those. His best work was in the late 60's and 70's on BB, Batman and Detective. I am a huge Aparo fan but at the end it really was bad.

His best work was compiled in the Legends of the Dark Knight Jim Aparo Vol. 1 and 2. I thought if Neal Adams never came around Aparo's version of Batman would have been the definitive one...or maybe Marshall Rogers version. All other artists versions pale in comparison.
I largely agree, Aparo's Batman would have been definitive if not for Neal Adams.
Old 11-05-14, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,042 Likes on 859 Posts

Yeah, I grew up on Aparo's mid-'70s B&B run, but I've seen some of his later stuff, and it really does pale in comparison. Not sure if it was the Knightfall arc or what, but it was something I'd read fairly recently.
Old 11-05-14, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I agree. It's the only comic I've been reading consistently for the last 22 years.
It sorely needs an omnibus collection/hc. And not the Essentials-style black and white ones that are currently out.

Are his letter pages still awesome? I've kinda fallen out of collecting SD monthly,but his interaction with the fans in the book was always great.
Old 11-05-14, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
It sorely needs an omnibus collection/hc. And not the Essentials-style black and white ones that are currently out.

Are his letter pages still awesome? I've kinda fallen out of collecting SD monthly,but his interaction with the fans in the book was always great.
The letter column is still good, but the quality of letter hacks is down from 15 years ago or so. A lot of times I'll skip the letters and just read Larsen's answers.

He should probably got with the 50-issue phone book reprints that Walking Dead and some Top Cow books have done. Even in 24 issue chunks it would take too long to catch up. But my understanding is the early issues would need to be recolored, which seems to be the hold up.
Old 11-19-14, 06:03 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Phantom comic series was the most boring ever. Don't know what they were trying to depict him as, a superhero or some alien.
Old 12-31-15, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by ytrez
Worst comic book artist: Jim Lee

Worst comic book writer: Jeph Loeb
I was just browsing old threads and did a search on Loeb as I just picked up two of his books today. Have to say I disagree quite a bit. In all honesty Loeb is probably one of my favorite writers and he and Tim Sale make a great duo. Love his Batman stuff (The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Haunted Knight, Hush) and also the Marvel Color books he's done.
Old 01-01-16, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grant Morrison ruins everything he touches.
Old 01-01-16, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by sven
Grant Morrison ruins everything he touches.
The Defense offers up Morrison's late '80s take on Animal Man and immediately requests dismissal of all charges.

Seriously, that could one of the finest comic book runs ever.
Old 01-01-16, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts

I would say Morrison used to be better. A lot of his new work such as the RIP storyline for Batman was just convoluted and seemed like he was making it intentionally confusing just for the sake of it.
Old 01-01-16, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
I was just browsing old threads and did a search on Loeb as I just picked up two of his books today. Have to say I disagree quite a bit. In all honesty Loeb is probably one of my favorite writers and he and Tim Sale make a great duo. Love his Batman stuff (The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Haunted Knight, Hush) and also the Marvel Color books he's done.
The Long Halloween is definitely a great Batman story, it is his best work. I despised his take on Superman and most point to Loeb changing as a writer for the worse once his son passed away around a decade ago.
Old 01-01-16, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,808 Likes on 1,930 Posts

I find that Morrison does his best work when he's writing for his own creations, or when he's playing with established characters in his own sandbox (Animal Man, Doom Patrol, All Star Superman).

His sensibilities don't really transfer well into a shared universe (New X-Men).
John Pannozzi (05-19-22)
Old 01-01-16, 08:08 PM
Banned

Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts

Geoff Johns is completely overrated, mostly to his obnoxious love for the silver age and Super Friends
Old 05-19-22, 03:38 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Bleu L. Finnegan is the greatest comic book character of all time.
Old 05-20-22, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 431 Likes on 293 Posts

DC writes for headlines because they are desperate
Old 05-26-22, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Received 1,077 Likes on 627 Posts

The comics industry should drop monthly books almost entirely and switch to "graphic novel" format. Make each book an event and reboot continuity every 5-10 years. Let creators run relatively free and keep fresh iterations of each character/concept every "cycle".

Stop appealing to older fans and move forward permanently, leaving older characters behind or in a niche "classic" imprint.
-------
Also, unrelated, but DC should stop focusing on making their characters relatable and make them more aspirational.
Old 05-26-22, 06:16 PM
Banned

Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
The comics industry should drop monthly books almost entirely and switch to "graphic novel" format. Make each book an event and reboot continuity every 5-10 years. Let creators run relatively free and keep fresh iterations of each character/concept every "cycle".

They already do both more or less. I mentioned this before, but DC has been big doing graphic novels for the kids and young adult crowd and they are selling millions of copies with those books, but mostly outside the the LCS market.

As for the reboot, theyíve been doing that in shorter cycles since Infinite Crisis.

I donít think they need to stop doing weekly books. That would kill the industry potential as fewer artists and writers would have opportunities in the field. Thatís one thing people outside of the business donít see about sequential art. A lot of these weekly books are try outs and opportunities for artists and writers to hone their skills. Shooting unproven talent to a graphic novel that may fail is not ideal in any business situation
The following 2 users liked this post by Red Hood:
John Pannozzi (05-26-22), PhantomStranger (05-27-22)
Old 05-26-22, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts

You will probably also lose a significant number of people who are otherwise "addicted" to the monthly drip that will realize just how much money they're spending and how much or little they're really getting out of it. There's no way they cancel monthly comics while they're still viable.