Reload this Page >

Promotional Comics - cereal boxes, etc

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 03-16-14, 02:16 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

General Mills is running a promotion with DC, putting five different miniature Justice League comics in specially branded cereal boxes. It follows up on their similar 2011 promotion.

Here's a current article on the promo.

Here's a pic of one I just opened.

The 2011 books, now apparently going for $10 or more each on ebay, were numbered 1-4 of 4, but these books are numbered 5-9 of 9, with the 9th issue only available at Target in special Cheerios boxes.

I bought about 9 boxes of Cheerios the other day thanks to some coupons and this promo, and didn't get any of issue 6 of course.
Old 03-16-14, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 781 Likes on 655 Posts
Re: Promotional Comics - cereal boxes, etc

I know some of the older promo comics are very collectible, mostly because they usually printed less of them than normal runs and collectors ignored them for years.

There's a huge market for the original art from promotional comics, because they often used name artists for the work.
Old 03-18-14, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Meh. I've collected tons of crap from cereal boxes and other food items and they never seem to increase in value much. I had some mini comics that came with a video I got from Pizza Hut that I recently tossed in the trash because no one wanted them on eBay. Seriously I was going to make zero money at the .99 I posted the mini comic, but I figured I'd post it in case someone out there really wanted it. No takers. That goes for a set of hologram cards I got from Chef-Boy-Ardee cans, Crunch & Munch, and a few other things I've acquired over the years.
Old 03-18-14, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

I think I had a comic like this or Green Arrow from a cereal box back in the '80s.
Old 03-18-14, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by madcougar
Meh. I've collected tons of crap from cereal boxes and other food items and they never seem to increase in value much. I had some mini comics that came with a video I got from Pizza Hut that I recently tossed in the trash because no one wanted them on eBay. Seriously I was going to make zero money at the .99 I posted the mini comic, but I figured I'd post it in case someone out there really wanted it. No takers. That goes for a set of hologram cards I got from Chef-Boy-Ardee cans, Crunch & Munch, and a few other things I've acquired over the years.
Dude! Don't throw cool stuff like that away please! Someone here would have paid at least a couple bucks. I know I would have!
Old 03-18-14, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Dude! Don't throw cool stuff like that away please! Someone here would have paid at least a couple bucks. I know I would have!
Fair enough! Next time I clean house, I'll see if I have any takers here in DVDTalk.
Old 03-18-14, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I only had a couple of 2011's cereal offerings but could never get the full set. I had like a ton of Issue 3 or 4.

Back in 2010, while I was living in Macau, some cereal brand had 4 mini Marvel comics I managed to track down. Macau of all places!

Originally Posted by madcougar
Dude! I love promotional shit like that!

Originally Posted by wishbone

I think I had a comic like this or Green Arrow from a cereal box back in the '80s.
I have a whole set of those featuring various DC characters. I wonder if I ended up with the whole collection?
Old 03-18-14, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

I'm surprised these aren't just reprints with new covers and even more surprised that they have what seem like decent creative teams. And pre-new-52 costumes, it's a win all around!
Old 03-19-14, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'm surprised these aren't just reprints with new covers and even more surprised that they have what seem like decent creative teams. And pre-new-52 costumes, it's a win all around!
I end up buying cereal and DC again.
Old 03-19-14, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I only had a couple of 2011's cereal offerings but could never get the full set. I had like a ton of Issue 3 or 4.

Dude! I love promotional shit like that!
I'll trade you or anyone here my current extras for anything I'm missing like those 2011 editions.
Old 02-20-16, 06:38 PM

General Mills and DC are at it again. Looks like 4 different mini comics, perhaps all based on Batman vs Superman.
Old 02-23-16, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 451 Likes on 270 Posts

I'll trade you or anyone here my current extras for anything I'm missing like those 2011 editions.
Well, not just anyone, apparently.

General Mills and DC are at it again. Looks like 4 different mini comics, perhaps all based on Batman vs Superman.
I was thinking about staying home today, but I might go to the grocery store and see if these are out already. I got some Dr Peppers last week, and I saw Doritos and a couple other tie-ins in a weekly circular the other day, so I'd say chances are good.

EDIT: This blog just shows cereal boxes. No comics. I'll still buy at least one of each (more if I find them on sale).

Found one site talking about a BvS comic in cereal.

Looking at "superman batman general mills cereal" on Google turns up several pics that include a comic, and you can clearly see "of 4" on the cover of at least one, so

Here's a pic of the comics & boxes:

Last edited by Dimension X; 02-23-16 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-23-16, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That Bat symbol looks chunkier and chunkier everytime I see it.
Old 02-23-16, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Well, not just anyone, apparently.
Doh! I really want to trade with you, it's just about getting off my ass and seeing which of these 500 bankers boxes I put them in.
Old 02-23-16, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Found one site talking about a BvS comic in cereal.

I dunno....just wanted to say that pic looks weird.
Old 02-24-16, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That has to be fan art?! Tune in next week for As the Superhero World Turns...
Old 02-25-16, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw those boxes at the store today and there isn't any info on them about the comics so I didn't buy them. The boxes themselves are sort of cool though. The Bat and S insignias are embossed. I might just get them to cut them out and paste them on comic boxes.
Old 02-25-16, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 354 Likes on 227 Posts

This seemed to be the best place to post this. You'll have to forgive me if it's been included elsewhere, but I'm not the comic book guy that others in this thread are.

There was a display of Doritos chips set up at my local Dollar General just inside the door. They were 10 oz bags for $2.95. Once you purchase a bag, you use the code that prints out on the receipt to redeem for one of 3 Superman comic books. Here's the link: https://dollargeneral.doritos.com/

Offer good until 4/28 or while supplies last. I bought a bag and just submitted the code tonight for one. As an extra feel-good measure, it indicated my redemption resulted in a $1 donation to the Dollar General Literacy Fund.
Old 02-26-16, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
This seemed to be the best place to post this. You'll have to forgive me if it's been included elsewhere, but I'm not the comic book guy that others in this thread are.

There was a display of Doritos chips set up at my local Dollar General just inside the door. They were 10 oz bags for $2.95. Once you purchase a bag, you use the code that prints out on the receipt to redeem for one of 3 Superman comic books. Here's the link: https://dollargeneral.doritos.com/

Offer good until 4/28 or while supplies last. I bought a bag and just submitted the code tonight for one. As an extra feel-good measure, it indicated my redemption resulted in a $1 donation to the Dollar General Literacy Fund.
Nice, thanks Cards!
Old 02-27-16, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like that red Superman cover.

So... For the BvS cereal comics, are they definitely in the Batman/Superman cereal boxes? I saw a bunch on the shelves today but nothing on the boxes about comics.
Old 02-27-16, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I like that red Superman cover.

So... For the BvS cereal comics, are they definitely in the Batman/Superman cereal boxes? I saw a bunch on the shelves today but nothing on the boxes about comics.
No, oddly, they are not in the BvS boxes.
Old 02-27-16, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-27-16, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 451 Likes on 270 Posts

No, oddly, they are not in the BvS boxes.
So, they're in regular General Mills cereals? That's actually better, since the regular cereals are more likely to go on sale than the 2 BvS cereals, so it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to buy enough boxes to get all four comics.
Old 02-27-16, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mrhan
I saw those boxes at the store today and there isn't any info on them about the comics so I didn't buy them. The boxes themselves are sort of cool though. The Bat and S insignias are embossed. I might just get them to cut them out and paste them on comic boxes.
They don't come with comics. What do you get is one of the coolest embossed, foil logos I've ever seen on a cereal box. The Superman symbol shines like a crazy diamond.

There are separate regular boxes of cereals marked with the comics, you can't miss them.
Old 02-28-16, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^^^I guess I'm to have to look again. I did look up and down the cereal isle and all I saw were the embossed boxes.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.