Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What were the first comics you ever read?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What were the first comics you ever read?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-14, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What were the first comics you ever read?

The first one I can remember buying was the Star Wars Super Special, but my older brother's copy of this was the first one I ever read:
Old 03-06-14, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The first comic I ever actually got to read was Detective 608 the first appearance of Anarky. I remember picking it up because I was obsessed with Batman after watching the movie and the Adam West series.

A couple years passed and The Flash series was on and I picked up this issue at the grocery store. I also picked up another issue with Guerrilla Grodd on the cover and Wally with some collar on his neck but don't remember the issue.

I started collecting about two years after getting those two issues but for the life of me I can't remember what caused me to get into collecting after a two year gap.
Old 03-06-14, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Seeing those covers are great, and I had no idea Batman and Sgt Rock got together. I have to find that comic now!
Here's another one. This one has art by Adams.

Old 03-06-14, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
My absolute first comic that I read? I believe it was a late 1970s Legion of Superheroes issue that the cover had been torn off. I don't know the exact issue but remember a few panels of Superboy flying through space. This would have been as a wee child, when I only knew of the characters through Superfriends. I clearly remember not being very interested in it, this was a wordy story with a lot of panels. The colors also seemed fairly dull on the pages.
I bet JasonF can identify that issue.
Old 03-06-14, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
I bet JasonF can identify that issue.
Isn't the Phantom Stranger suppose to know all?
Old 03-06-14, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
Isn't the Phantom Stranger suppose to know all?
Apparently not in this case.
Old 03-06-14, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I have consciously blanked out the issue in my mind. I think it's better not knowing the exact issue, much like no one really knows my origin.
Old 03-06-14, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I have consciously blanked out the issue in my mind. I think it's better not knowing the exact issue, much like no one really knows my origin.
Judas!!!
Old 03-06-14, 05:42 PM
Political Exile

first I remember

Old 03-07-14, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Found it. Fantastic Four #220

Spoiler:
Old 03-07-14, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts

Here's another one. This one has art by Adams.

That's great. Not just for the goofiness of Batman and Sgt Rock together, but also that its another in a long line of "Pieta" covers.

http://comiccoverage.typepad.com/com...book_cove.html
Old 03-07-14, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Couple of my very first comics, around when I first started to learn how to read:

Little bit after that, my first superhero comic was this collection, that got me started in my love of all things Marvel, circa 1976:

And I believe this was the first "floppy" comic I had:

I'm old...

Last edited by slop101; 03-07-14 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-07-14, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

This was the 1st comic I remember buying.
Old 03-07-14, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
This was the 1st comic I remember buying.
It's strange how memory works. I can still remember the exact moment I picked that issue up off the shelf of my local comic shop. I can't remember a single thing about the issue itself, but I can tell you how the shop looked that day and what it smelled like.
Old 03-07-14, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,493 Posts

What age were you when you first went into a comic shop?

I've been thinking about it, and though my daughter can't yet read, I kinda want to go to a comic store and pick some comics up so she can have the experience. I already have a bunch of MLP comics that I've bought and read to her via Comixology on the iPad, and I've bought her a bunch of Tinkerbell tpbs, but seeing this thread makes me nostalgic.

On a side note, one of the benefits of my old online comic place going down and moving the orders over to dcbs is that I got a Previews in my order for the first time in a year or so, and it's also tempting me to start ordering some floppies... even though the reason I stopped in the first place was the lack of room and preference for HCs/tpbs.
Old 03-07-14, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
I think most people can answer this if they recognize what comics were priced at when they first started going. My first memories of going to a comic shop coincide with the changeover from 65¢ to 75¢ comics, which happened around 1986-1988. That many comics in one place blew my mind at the time. I practically had a heart attack when I went to my first con, it was like heaven on Earth.

http://www.mania.com/history-cost-co...le_116449.html
Old 03-07-14, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

It's strange how memory works. I can still remember the exact moment I picked that issue up off the shelf of my local comic shop. I can't remember a single thing about the issue itself, but I can tell you how the shop looked that day and what it smelled like.
I must of been 5 or 6 when I bought the issue but I remember it had some cool action panels involving the batarang. I've since bought the entire run of this story arc. It was pretty grim stuff.
Old 03-07-14, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I didn't have a comic book store within walking (or biking) distance, and my parents were certainly never going to take me to one, so I didn't hit one until I could drive when I turned 16 in 1987 - that's when my real collecting began.
Old 03-07-14, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's great. Not just for the goofiness of Batman and Sgt Rock together, but also that its another in a long line of "Pieta" covers.
This story was based on Earth 2 with the Golden age Batman so it sort of makes more sense than the later ones. There was a couple more with the Earth 2 Batman where he teams up with the Blackhawks.

Originally Posted by fujishig
It was the summer of '77. The Comic Collector Shop in downtown San Jose. So many books for 50 cents or less and they were all 12, 15, 20, and 25 cent covers. They weren't even bagged and boarded....just stacked up in piles.
Old 03-07-14, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

My first memories of going to a comic shop coincide with the changeover from 65¢ to 75¢ comics, which happened around 1986-1988.
My demograph right there.

I think I was 10 when "Comic Castle" first opened up in Victorville, Ca (Right before I moved up north to the boonies) I was told about that place from my friend who I had gotten into comics. Since I missed out on the horror-comic age (And was very curious about it) a Werewolf By Night issue was my 1st purchase there (Issue #22, I think) Made sure to get a Tomb of Dracula on my 2nd visit.
Old 03-07-14, 06:08 PM

I'm guessing my first trip to a shop happened when I was 14. It was back during that time Marvel stopped selling at drug and grocery stores. The closest one was half an hour away, and I suckered my parents into taking me once a month.

I started taking my now 15-year-old nephew when he was five. He's been hooked ever since, and it also evolved into his reading "real books" for pleasure, so double score.
Old 03-07-14, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts

I started hitting the local comic shops around 1988, we had two just a couple blocks from one another, Memory Lane and Len's Odds and Ends. Cooly enough, the Len's is still standing (though with different owners and a different name).

As I get older, I find myself yearning more and more for the days when so many stores were real mom and pop outfits. Now every store tries to look franchised and "professional", but wind up feeling sterile and souless. Why must everything be so brightly lit? I miss the old dingy comic shops with cheap wooden shelves you might get a splinter on and the smell of the owner's second hand smoke as he watched a hockey game on a black and white TV set with a coat hanger for an antenna.

The first books I bought regularly were GI Joe and Groo. I was super attracted to the horror comics but depending on who was behind the counter, it was a crapshoot whether or not they'd sell me Hellraiser or Beautiful Stories For Ugly Children (which was an illustrated short story, not really a comic). I remember trying to smooth talk the clerk who refused to sell me a comic with the "Suggested For Mature Readers" label, pointing out it said "Suggested" not "Mandatory".
Old 03-08-14, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

As I get older, I find myself yearning more and more for the days when so many stores were real mom and pop outfits. Now every store tries to look franchised and "professional", but wind up feeling sterile and souless. Why must everything be so brightly lit? I miss the old dingy comic shops with cheap wooden shelves you might get a splinter on and the smell of the owner's second hand smoke as he watched a hockey game on a black and white TV set with a coat hanger for an antenna.
This place, near my work, is exactly the kind of old-school CBS you're looking for. There's not that much traffic, and he doesn't even bother turning on the lights most times. But it's a great store and the owner's a good time.
Old 03-08-14, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There are still a few shops around left like that, if you look hard enough. Mostly ones that have been hanging on since the industry crash in the 1990s.

New shops are as you describe them, lit as brightly as Target.
Old 03-08-14, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

This story was based on Earth 2 with the Golden age Batman so it sort of makes more sense than the later ones. There was a couple more with the Earth 2 Batman where he teams up with the Blackhawks.

A lot of the Sgt. Rock and WWII Batman stories were set on Earth B.

This alternate universe of Earth-B was never specifically depicted, but was suggested to exist in a letters column by DC editor/writer Bob Rozakis as a possible explanation for certain non-continuity stories or character traits (for example, stories that showed Catwoman committing murder with no qualms, despite being established that she did not engage in that kind of activity).

Every time a fan would knit-pick continuity in a story, the answer was "It took place on Earth B." Example: Earth B is where Bruce Wayne had a brother (Thomas Wayne, Jr).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.