Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Green Lantern question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-14, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Green Lantern question

I was able to acquire all the New 52 issues of the Green Lantern titles (GL, GLC, New Guardians, Red Lanterns). Since there seems to be a whole lot of characters in these books, do I need to read through the GL and GLC series by Geoff Johns that ran about 60 issues each before the New 52 to get an understanding (introduction) of all these characters?

Haven't read a GL issue in about 15+ years so I'm thinking I have to start with GL rebirth and then move to the 60 issue runs of GL and GLC. Is this a cosmic/space book now with no storylines on earth? I seem to remember that the first few issues after GL rebirth had Hal Jordan in an earth setting.
Old 02-10-14, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Green Lantern question

I don't have every answer though I do know the New 52 Green Lantern picks up right where the last series ended so that would will fill things in nicely.
Old 02-10-14, 04:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't absolutely have to read all of the Geoff Johns run, but you will get much more out of the story if you do. The only thing you really need to know to start in the New 52 Green Lantern is that
Spoiler:
Hal Jordan has been kicked out of the Corps and Sinestro is a Green Lantern again.

You'll still appreciate it more having read the previous issues, but that's all you really need to know.

The best parts of Geoff Johns run was before the New 52. If you don't want to read the entire run, and just want to read the highlights, then I would suggest reading:

Rebirth
Sinestro Corps War
Blackest Night
War of the Lanterns

Those are the more important and best parts. Everything in between is most filler setting up the events. The filler issues are good too, but not as important as the actual events. You might want to read Secret Origin too, depending on how much you know about Hal Jordan, but its not as important as the events above.
Old 02-10-14, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks. Maybe I'll try to just get those storylines as it may not be easy to get the entire Geoff Johns run. I'll check Amazon and InStockTrades to see what are available.

Seems that there are so many new characters now (Red, Blue, Purple(?) teams), when were they exactly introduced in the GL universe? The only ones I know from before are Hal Jordan, John Stewart, Guy Gardner, Gnort and Kilowog.
Old 02-10-14, 11:13 AM
Banned

I love G'nort.

Do you know Kyle Rayner? He's the fourth main Earth-based GL other than Hal, Guy, and John. Kyle was introduced in the mid 90s after Hal turned into Parallax.

The multi-color Corps was introduced in the Sinestro Corps War storyarc.
Old 02-10-14, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I haven't read much of the new 52 stuff (just what Comixology has put on sale), but I'd say the pre new 52 Johns (and the non Johns Corps) stuff is worth reading; Blackest Night also plays a part. You can see the build up of the multi colored lanterns there, and like others have said while it's not required reading, it fills in the gaps (for instance... Black Hand's situation).

It's mainly in space, though like you said it starts off on Earth. Corps stuff is basically all in space. You do get a little rainbow fatigue later on, but I think it still holds up.

Heck, I'd say most of the pre new-52 Johns stuff in general is worth reading... Legion of 3 worlds, Teen Titans, (especially) JSA, his early Flash stuff, maybe even Infinite Crisis.
Old 02-10-14, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig

Heck, I'd say most of the pre new-52 Johns stuff in general is worth reading... Legion of 3 worlds, Teen Titans, (especially) JSA, his early Flash stuff, maybe even Infinite Crisis.
I'd second this. I think it is worthwhile to read Johns' GL and JSA. the JSA series is some of my favorite DC stuff in the last 20 years. I was never a Legion fan, but i really enjoyed Johns' book. I'm sure these trades can be found used at a LCBS.

The only other pre 52 stuff you might want to read if you are getting into the 52 stuff is Morrison's Batman and Robin. I never understand Morrison's stuff, but Dick and Damien as Batman and Robin is some of my favorite Batman stuff ever and that is still in continuity.
Old 02-10-14, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Is the Dick and Damian stuff really still in continuity?

I know when they did the new 52, only John's GL and Morrison's Batman were selling well enough to justify continuing their stories into the new continuity, but did Dick really still take Batman's place? I realize this is getting into the "well GL's continuity is still around, so he must have been taken over by Parallax and destroyed Coast City, which means that Superman must have still been killed by Doomsday and we still had Reign of the Supermen, and and and" stuff, but I was sure they cut it out along with Tim Drake being Robin.

Not that it matters that much, in or out of continuity I agree with you that the Dick as Batman stuff was great.
Old 02-10-14, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I think it still is. Damian is still in continuity, Morrison's Batman story continued from the old continuity to New 52.

Batman/Green Lantern stuff is pretty much the same minus some small, sometimes stupid (Tim Drake) changes.
Old 02-10-14, 01:31 PM
Banned

Continuity is a mess, but yes all of Morrison's Batman run is still in continuity. However, Final Crisis never happened, so nobody really knows why Dick took over as Batman. Tim was never Robin; he was always Red Robin.

Regarding Green Lantern continuity, Hal did still go all Parallax, but neither Death of Superman nor Reign of the Supermen are still in continuity. Superboy, Steel, and Cyborg Superman have all new unrelated origins in the New 52. Cyborg Superman isn't even Hank Henshaw anymore. The New 52 Cyborg Superman is Supergirl's father. So, Sinestro Corps War is still in continuity despite Henshaw not even existing anymore.

Continuity is just a huge freaking mess.
Old 02-10-14, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want to keep repeating Sinestro Corps War over and over.
Old 02-11-14, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I see the New 52 reboot has failed.
Old 02-13-14, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
So I see the New 52 reboot has failed.
It was basically an excuse to allow Jim Lee to re-design the bigger heroes' costumes and alter Superman's history. I suspect if Superman wasn't so integral to DC history, they would have simply rebooted his character and left everything else the same.
Old 02-13-14, 04:49 AM
Banned

How has the New 52 failed? Sales were abysmally low before the New 52, and it's my understanding that the WB board of directors basically mandated that DC increase sales by any means necessary or else. Sales have consistently been higher ever since the New 52 launched. I would count that as a success, not a failure. Yes, a lot of the story quality is pretty crappy, but that's not a business failure if it keeps on selling, which it does. Money talks.
Old 02-13-14, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It failed in the fact that it has split the fans into two camps and as the OP has demonstrated didn't make a clear path for new readers. GL and Bat titles specifically.