Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the last TPB/collection you read?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What's the last TPB/collection you read?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-15, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,934 Likes on 1,496 Posts
Re: What's the last TPB/Graphic Novel you read?

I loved Planet Hulk, but was lukewarm on World War Hulk... the only good thing to come out of that, IMHO, was that they changed they gave a series to Hercules and Amadeus Cho.

The plot point you mention does get resolve in WWH, though. But then the arrogance of the Illuminati comes back to bite them in the butt in the next series of crossovers.

I got the latest Bru Cap omnibus, but I'm going to wait until I re-read the rest of his run first. And that's gotta wait because I finally picked up the Annihilation omni and I want to re-read that.
Old 02-19-15, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
And that's gotta wait because I finally picked up the Annihilation omni and I want to re-read that.
I was going to move onto Annihilation next, but I made the decision to instead go back to the very beginning of "cosmic Marvel" and start with the original Jim Starlin Captain Marvel/Warlock/Thanos stories. I ordered the Avengers vs. Thanos tpb, the Infinity Guantlet Omnibus, and the Infinity Guantlet aftermath tpb. While I wait for those I'm re-reading the Kree/Skrull war. This all will of course not only set me up nicely for Annihilation, but also serve as a lead in for Secret Invasion.
Old 02-19-15, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I was going to move onto Annihilation next, but I made the decision to instead go back to the very beginning of "cosmic Marvel" and start with the original Jim Starlin Captain Marvel/Warlock/Thanos stories. I ordered the Avengers vs. Thanos tpb, the Infinity Guantlet Omnibus, and the Infinity Guantlet aftermath tpb. While I wait for those I'm re-reading the Kree/Skrull war. This all will of course not only set me up nicely for Annihilation, but also serve as a lead in for Secret Invasion.
I recently read Avengers vs Thanos and the Warlock collection and am working on the IG Omni. Need to post about those at some point.
Old 02-20-15, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

There are good comments in this thread, it was fun reading some of the reactions to Marvel's recent stories.

I will say the one thing I haven't liked about Marvel's recent revisionism is turning Tony Stark into the world's smartest man. We have a pretty good grasp of the world's most intelligent people and none of them would fit Tony's character as depicted in comics.

Reed Richards was always a much better fit for that title in Marvel and they have taken it away since the Fantastic Four aren't very popular anymore.
Old 02-20-15, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As smart as Tony's become, I still think Reed is considered smarter, isn't he? But comic book scientists are like magicians, they just do (or make) whatever the story calls for. Pym, Richards or Stark are always coming up with stuff out of nowhere to make the story work.
Old 02-23-15, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So my journey through Marvel's last decade has taken a detour as I gear up for Annihilation and Secret Invasion. I decided to go back to the beginning, so to speak, and read (or re-read in some cases) the early days of Marvel cosmic. I started with the issue #'s 17-21 of the original Captain Marvel series which lead directly into the Kree Skrull War.

Captain Marvel #17 was Marvel's attempt to revamp the struggling character so that they could continue publishing his book and keep the Captain Marvel copyright out of DC's hands. It's both the debut of the now familiar red and blue costume and the beginning of his connection with Rick Jones (which was a blatant rip-off of the Billy Batson/Captain Marvel relationship). The first issue starts of promisingly enough, but after an issue or two I wanted to strangle Rick Jones. Apparently I was not alone as the title was basically canceled after issue #21. Still, it's required reading for anyone with an interest in the character.

After Captain Marvel was canceled, Roy Thomas (the writer behind the revamp) took the story to the pages of the Avengers. The Kree Skrull War is often considered to be ground zero for Marvel 'event' comics. The storyline runs for 9 issues, but it doesn't play out the way one would expect a similar story to play out today. Each issue is more or less a self-contained story, as one would expect from comics written in 1971. In fact it's a little frustrating because a couple of issues in we're given a pretty good idea of the scope of what's going on and yet the Avengers are arguing over whether or not they should save the galaxy from impending doom or track down Black Bolt, whose wandering the streets, lost in San Francisco (or something). While the Inhumans thread actually ends up being somewhat relevant, it wasn't tied in so smoothly.

The other problem I had with the story is that some of the characters are woefully underwritten. While the 'second tier' Avengers like Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and Vision are given some personality, Captain America, Iron Man and Thor might as well have been faceless automatons. They're totally bland and pretty much just exist to give orders to the others. Maybe this is what they were like in all of these early Avengers stories, but I haven't read much from this era.

All that said, by the time the story reaches it's climax and the various threads start coming together, things get pretty good. Although, I did feel like the climax was a little rushed. While I get tired of modern comics and their decompression, this thing could have used one more issue. Overall it's a fun slice of early Marvel and absolutely relevant to the Marvel Universe for decades to come. It should be required reading for anyone interested in a quick history of Marvel. It's also got Neal Adams art, which is always a good thing.

And now for something completely different, I decided to read Kraven's Last Hunt, because why not. I had never read this before and really knew nothing about it other than it was considered one of the great Spider-Man stories. Holy moly was I not ready for this! This has got to be one of the darkest, if not the darkest Spider-Man storylines ever. It felt more like a Batman story than a Spider-Man story. And wouldn't you know it, come to find out that J.M. DeMatteis actually conceived of it as a Batman story, but DC wouldn't allow it. It really isn't like any Spider-Man story that I've ever read. It's a great read with dark and moody art, but I can't say this is how I prefer my Spider-Man. Still, kudos for doing something different. I'm certainly not going to shake some of the imagery from this for a while. Not being a big Spidey fan, can I assume that Marvel actually stuck with the ending as it relates to Kraven? Or was it all retconned like 2 years later?

Last edited by rocket1312; 02-24-15 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-23-15, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did you read Peter David's Captain Marvel run? Basically Mar-vell's son, Genis, also ends up being bonded with Rick Jones, with trademark David humor.

I remember re-reading Kree/Skrull war many years later, and being a bit shocked at how short it was. I think it was shortly after the longish Avengers crossover Galactic Storm, (and even that pales in comparison to modern day crossovers.)

I also felt the treatment of the Kree and other Galactic civilizations and their technology changed with the winds. On one hand, they created the Inhumans, on the other hand, when it comes down to battling with earthlings they're basically blue skinned aliens with laser guns. You look at Grant Morrison's Noh Varr and the technology he deals with is basically on a completely different level than even Richards or Stark.
Old 02-23-15, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The other problem I had with the story is that some of the characters are woefully underwritten. While the 'second tier' Avengers like Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and Vision are given some personality, Captain America, Iron Man and Thor might as well have been faceless automatons. They're totally bland and pretty much just exist to give orders to the others. Maybe this is what they were like in all of these early Avengers stories, but I haven't read much from this era.
My impression from that era (and it's a little earlier than when I started reading regularly so I had to catch up with Kree-Skrull War and the John Buscema Avengers later) is that the big characters already had their own books and so were in less need of fleshing out than someone like the Vision, who only appeared in The Avengers..
Old 02-23-15, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Did you read Peter David's Captain Marvel run? Basically Mar-vell's son, Genis, also ends up being bonded with Rick Jones, with trademark David humor.
I have not read that yet. I'll get to it eventually.

I remember re-reading Kree/Skrull war many years later, and being a bit shocked at how short it was. I think it was shortly after the longish Avengers crossover Galactic Storm, (and even that pales in comparison to modern day crossovers.)
It takes a long time to get going, but then it's over just as it starts to get really interesting.

Originally Posted by davidh777
My impression from that era (and it's a little earlier than when I started reading regularly so I had to catch up with Kree-Skrull War and the John Buscema Avengers later) is that the big characters already had their own books and so were in less need of fleshing out than someone like the Vision, who only appeared in The Avengers..
Yeah, that was my assumption as well. I just assume Roy Thomas and whoever else was writing the book found the less popular characters to be a little fresher.
Old 02-24-15, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, that was my assumption as well. I just assume Roy Thomas and whoever else was writing the book found the less popular characters to be a little fresher.
I as a reader found them fresher. One of my favorite eras for the Avengers was the early days when it was just Captain America, Hawkeye, Quicksilver, and the Scarlet Witch. Not as much raw power, of course, but I found it interesting.

It's kind of like focusing on Red Tornado (not as interesting as the Vision) and Black Canary in the Justice League of that same (or nearly the same) era.
Old 02-25-15, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I finished up Parker: The Hunter last night. Such a wonderful adaptation. I love, love, love the era-appropriate art.

Today I'll be starting The Score.

Originally Posted by davidh777
When I think of Criminal, I think of the stink Brubaker was putting up for people to buy floppies instead of trades, and now we're talking about borrowing them from the library.
Hey, I'm well within my rights. Having been out of the scene for so long, I'm not aware of what he said, but one of the reasons I got out of comics in the early '90s was that issues were getting too expensive. I now look at how high they've climbed and I can't imagine shelling out $4 a pop across multiple titles each month.

http://www.comichron.com/vitalstatis...verprices.html

The audience for comics is aging, right? I think I heard that somewhere. I can't help but think that kids are being priced out of them. Of course, I haven't been a kid for decades. Maybe their amount of disposable income has grown, too. (I saw on the news last night that a study shows that "the tooth fairy" now doles out close to an average $5 per tooth, which blew my mind.)
Old 02-25-15, 12:17 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Yeah, but when I was a kid my $1 from the tooth fairy would buy me five comics. Today's $5 buys only one.
Old 02-25-15, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Brubaker included a bunch of extras in the Criminal issues that weren't reprinted in the collections, I think.

We've had this discussion before, but it's all about value as well. You spend four bucks for a single comic, and you don't even get a complete story; with decompression, you probably spend less than 10 minutes on it. And then you have to store it. Aside from that, even when I give my kids comics, which they consider free, they would rather play with the ipad or whatever, unless we have "reading time."
Old 02-25-15, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Next stop on the Marvel cosmic train: Warlock. I was going to jump ahead to the Jim Starlin revamp, but I figured why not just start at the beginning. The first issue started out well enough with the High Evolutionary setting the table for lots of cosmic goodness, but things quickly turn into a pretty bizarre Jesus allegory. I knew that this was the case, but I was surprised to see just how blatant it was. I get what Roy Thomas was going for, and there are kernels of interesting ideas here (I think the idea of a superhero inspiring a sort of cult following is a legitimate hook for a series), but he never does anything much with the concept beyond telling Bible stories with comic book characters. Still, over the course of 13 issues (2 Marvel Premiere, 8 Warlock, 3 Hulk) a fairly coherent and self contained story is told. The Bible allegories ease up after the first couple of issues (although it comes back with a vengeance in the finale) and what we're left with is a nice slice of something a little different from the typical Marvel fare. It's not required reading or anything, but I'm glad I didn't just skip it.
Old 02-25-15, 08:47 PM

^ I now own pretty much every Marvel 'cosmic' book digitally and plan to do a massive marathon some July.

Right now, I'm alternating Nexus and Bone collections.
Old 02-26-15, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

And now for something completely different, I decided to read Kraven's Last Hunt, because why not. I had never read this before and really knew nothing about it other than it was considered one of the great Spider-Man stories. Holy moly was I not ready for this! This has got to be one of the darkest, if not the darkest Spider-Man storylines ever. It felt more like a Batman story than a Spider-Man story. And wouldn't you know it, come to find out that J.M. DeMatteis actually conceived of it as a Batman story, but DC wouldn't allow it. It really isn't like any Spider-Man story that I've ever read. It's a great read with dark and moody art, but I can't say this is how I prefer my Spider-Man. Still, kudos for doing something different. I'm certainly not going to shake some of the imagery from this for a while. Not being a big Spidey fan, can I assume that Marvel actually stuck with the ending as it relates to Kraven? Or was it all retconned like 2 years later?
It is one of the best Spider-Man stories exactly because it doesn't feel like any other Spider-Man story. I remember reading Kraven's Last Hunt when it first came out and thinking, "This would be an excellent Batman tale."

I am pretty sure it loosely exists in Spider-Man's official history with some alterations to how it read and its impact on Kraven.
Old 02-26-15, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It is one of the best Spider-Man stories exactly because it doesn't feel like any other Spider-Man story. I remember reading Kraven's Last Hunt when it first came out and thinking, "This would be an excellent Batman tale."

I am pretty sure it loosely exists in Spider-Man's official history with some alterations to how it read and its impact on Kraven.
I've never been a huge Spider-man fan, but I loved this story.

It had to win an award right? I'm walking to my bookshelves to read it now...
Old 02-27-15, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read the entire Locke & Key series over the past few days.

About to finally start Preacher after planning to do so for so long.
Old 02-27-15, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

It exists in official Marvel canon as is. Kraven actually remained dead until they finally brought him back in 2010's Grim Hunt storyline. So they actually kept him dead for about 23 years, a pretty surprising level of restraint honestly.
Old 03-02-15, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The X-Files: Season 10 vols. 1, 2 & 3, The X-Files: Year Zero, The X-Files: Conspiracy

Thanks to Scribd, I went on an IDW binge this weekend. First up was X-Files. For those who aren't familiar, IDW's new series is branded 'season 10' and picks up the continuity from the show starting in present day. In other words, it's been 10+ years since Mulder and Scully left the FBI and the 2012 alien invasion CSM warned them about in the series finale never happened. Right off the bat it is obvious for whom this series is written. Absolutely no attempt is made to introduce these characters to a new audience. Absolutely no attempt is made to recap even the major bullet points of the ridiculous mythology despite the fact that the show ended so long ago that most fans probably don't even remember what happened. Absolutely no attempt is made to learn from the mistakes of the show and keep said mythology streamlined and followable. Nope, this series is for hardcore X-Philes only. I wasn't even done with the first arc and already I was having a hard time keeping everything straight. The whole thing is so fan-servicey that at a certain point I just started expecting every character that ever appeared on the show to make appearance no matter whether they were dead or alive the last time we saw them. Even the handful of stand alone, monster-of-the-week issues reference old episodes. And you know what? I loved every single second of it. I haven't had this much fun reading a comic in a long time. I didn't realize how much I missed the X-Files until I started reading these. Scribd doesn't have the two most recent issues and who knows when they will be added, so I might even subscribe on Comixology. At the very least I'll pick up the digital collections next time there is an IDW sale.

The spin-off miniseries were a little bit more hit or miss for me. The Year Zero series, which looks back at the very first x-file the FBI ever investigated (and even gives an explanation for the term 'x-file') was pretty good. It was one of the few stories they've done so far that had little to tie it into the tv show, so it makes a for a nice standalone read. The Conspiracy series, on the other hand, which has the lone gunmen meeting up with other IDW properties like the Ghostbusters, the Transformers, the Ninja Turtles, and the Crow can easily be skipped. In fact, I couldn't find the Crow issue on Scribd (finding stuff of Scribd is like going a wild goose chase sometimes, but that's a discussion for another thread) and decided to do just that and skip it. The whole thing is sort of fun in a goofy lone gunmen way, but the story, which seems like a decent story if you ask me, is undermined by the crossover gimmick. Sure, seeing Frohike hit on Janine the secretary or Langly become "ninja buddies" with Bumblebee is kind of fun in the geekiest of ways, but a lot of it was just eye-rolling. Unless the events of this series end up having some sort of impact on the main series going forward, I can't imagine adding this to my collection.

I'll post my thoughts on the current IDW Ninja Turtles series, which I also read a good chunk of, when I get the chance.
Old 03-02-15, 09:43 AM

Thanks for the review Rocket! I used to be hardcore into X-Files and plan to get into the comics someday.
Old 03-02-15, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I was a big X-fan back in the day and read some of the comics. A bunch were in the IDW IST sale but I resisted as I believe I still have some on my shelf.

I just finished Saga vol. 4. It's one of the only series I'm current with but it's starting to lose me a bit. Maybe it's because the multiple storylines are more conducive to monthly reading than trades. I still like it, and it would've helped to reread the previous volume before starting. I liked the look and feel of the hardcover volume so much I might switch to that in the future, though it'd be even more waiting.
Old 03-02-15, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Batman Dark Knight, Dark City. Even better than I remember as a kid.
Old 03-02-15, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chew Volume 9: Chicken Tenders

Loved this one, but was furious about the last panel...that better be a good pay off John Layman!
Old 03-11-15, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Girl Genius Volume 10: Agatha Heterodyne and the Guardian Muse TP

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.