Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the last comic (single issue) you read?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What's the last comic (single issue) you read?

Old 04-18-17, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What's the last comic (single issue) you read?

Today i read the rebirth run of the flash 1-20

Getting ready for the button
Old 04-18-17, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

A few months ago I added some Marvel titles to my pull list to try some floppies out. I don't know why, since I don't seem to be able to get back into a monthly rhythm and just read them in bunches anyway. But I read the first three issues of Nova and USAvengers, and the first five issues of Champions.

I've loved Richard Rider/Nova since i was a kid, since I always found the buckethead design striking. I was a bit confused about the Kid Nova rename but I loved the first iteration of the New Warriors, as I've always been a sucker for team books; then when he regained prominence in Annihilation, I was thrilled.

He was gone for a few years in the cancerverse (though somehow Star Lord got out because hey, he's got a movie likeness to sell), but came back in this series and shares a spotlight with the new Nova, Sam Alexander. I love it. Slice of life stuff, an older hero interacting with and somewhat mentoring a new hero, a mystery behind how Richard Rider came back... all of it is great. The art by Ramon Perez is fantastic, and he shares co scripting duties with Jeff Loveness, a writer for Jimmy Kimmel. So of course this book is on the publishing chopping block.

Alexander is also in the teen team-up book Champions, which has him, Ms. Marvel, Amadeus Cho Hulk, Vision's daughter, and teen Cyclops, written by Mark Waid and drawn by Humberto Ramos, the team who back in the day brought about the amazing Impulse series for DC. I love all the characters, I love the diversity, and I like the interaction but the plotting and the politics just doesn't suit my tastes, I don't think. I'm still desperate enough for a teen heroes book (since I'm not a big fan of the current incarnation of the Teen Titans) that I'll keep it, though. But I think this is on the chopping block too. I'm beginning to remember why I don't collect anything monthly and just wait for trades. It doesn't help that their stupid change in their digital program, then their reactive change back, means that I have a hole in my digital copies as well.

U.S.Avengers, another kinda political book but played mainly for laughs, with a super eclectic group of heroes, half of whom I've never heard of since I didn't follow Ewing's earlier run. I'm still enjoying it, though. Famously the second issue shipped with like 50 variant covers, greatly inflating the print run, and I don't really know how this one is faring in sales. Paco Medina's art has either vastly improved or my tastes have changed, I think it's the former.
Old 04-18-17, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 781 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
^ I'm way behind in reading all the Superman origins. That Geoff Johns series you're reading only came out a few years after the big re-telling of his origin by Mark Waid, right? Superman: Birthright I think it was called. I grew to enjoy Bryne's Man of Steel, but should read those others someday.
I think it came out around 2010 before the New 52, so after the Waid origin. DC got crazy with Superman origins in the 2000s. They seemingly put one out every other year. Most of them are now out of continuity.

I would rather see new Superman stories than rehashes of his origin. That is why I liked All-Star Superman so much.

Originally Posted by terrycloth
Today i read the rebirth run of the flash 1-20

Getting ready for the button
I saw a preview of the next issue that looked awesome concerning that topic.

Originally Posted by fujishig
A few months ago I added some Marvel titles to my pull list to try some floppies out. I don't know why, since I don't seem to be able to get back into a monthly rhythm and just read them in bunches anyway. But I read the first three issues of Nova and USAvengers, and the first five issues of Champions.

I've loved Richard Rider/Nova since i was a kid, since I always found the buckethead design striking. I was a bit confused about the Kid Nova rename but I loved the first iteration of the New Warriors, as I've always been a sucker for team books; then when he regained prominence in Annihilation, I was thrilled.

He was gone for a few years in the cancerverse (though somehow Star Lord got out because hey, he's got a movie likeness to sell), but came back in this series and shares a spotlight with the new Nova, Sam Alexander. I love it. Slice of life stuff, an older hero interacting with and somewhat mentoring a new hero, a mystery behind how Richard Rider came back... all of it is great. The art by Ramon Perez is fantastic, and he shares co scripting duties with Jeff Loveness, a writer for Jimmy Kimmel. So of course this book is on the publishing chopping block.
It's my impression that Nova has been canceled. I think Moon Knight got the axe as well.
Old 04-18-17, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yup, Nova is done.

https://mobile.twitter.com/theramonp...93561076428800

Doesn't even make it to the first trade. Thanks for rebooting and killing the series.

Also Zdarsky's Starlord:

https://mobile.twitter.com/zdarsky/s...70693999472641

Probably Kingpin too.

Screw this, back to trade waiting/Unlimited waiting for me.

Last edited by fujishig; 04-18-17 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-19-17, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Batman 21
Superman 21
Trinity 1
Old 04-19-17, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Super Sons is a fun, light read if you want to see the team of Damian and Superboy together. The first couple of issues have been contrasting their personalities. I like it far more than I expected.

And DC should have given Superman a son like Jonathan years ago. I'm so glad they've put the clone nonsense behind him. I just hope they don't feel pressured to age him into a teenager anytime soon.
Old 04-19-17, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Super Sons is a fun, light read if you want to see the team of Damian and Superboy together. The first couple of issues have been contrasting their personalities. I like it far more than I expected.

And DC should have given Superman a son like Jonathan years ago. I'm so glad they've put the clone nonsense behind him. I just hope they don't feel pressured to age him into a teenager anytime soon.
I love the family aspect a lot of the superman/batman families have in the rebirth titles so far makes them more based in reality from supersons, and superman, and even the first issue of trinity a lot of humor in them
Old 04-24-17, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In my ongoing quest to disappoint myself, I jumped on the new Justice League America book. I didn't read jL vs Suicide Squad or the one shots, but figured I'd start with the Rebirth issue. At the very least it's got Ivan Reis on art which is always awesome, right? And that Orlando guy is supposed to be pretty good. And I like the Ray and the idea of second tier heroes making up a Justice League team.

And it's awful. Batman's entire rationale for this team is that the JL are like gods and unrelatable to the world. So of course he needs Lobo. ??? And the team is just fighting with each other all the time, and the characters even mention this, but no Batman has a plan that somehow involves Killer a Frost, Visen, Choi Atom, Black Canary and the Ray fighting crimes at a street level. Until they have to save the world from superhuman badguys from another dimension. Like the other Justice League.

It's like they wanted to make a Batman and the Outsiders book but were too afraid that it wouldn't sell, so let's slap Justice League on it. Oh and Reis did like two issues then we get like three issues of fill ins. Because this twice monthly garbage is for the fans. Ugh.

Luckily Supersons is next on my list and I have higher hopes for it.
Old 04-24-17, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It does feel more like Batman and the Outsiders than Justice League anything. I think the idea is to throw a bunch of random characters together and see what sticks. Occasionally it helps develop the characters beyond their current c-lister status.

I expect to see a lot of Killer Frost in the coming years. They seem to be taking a page from the Flash TV show.
Old 04-25-17, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Also Zdarsky's Starlord:

https://mobile.twitter.com/zdarsky/s...70693999472641

Probably Kingpin too.

Screw this, back to trade waiting/Unlimited waiting for me.
That sucks. I was really digging both of those books. Just read issue 6 of Starlord this morning, in fact. I guess I just assumed these were limited series partly because of their single digit numbering.
Old 04-25-17, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I expect to see a lot of Killer Frost in the coming years. They seem to be taking a page from the Flash TV show.
Exactly. As someone who actually likes the character on the Flash, and enjoyed the rebirth one shot, the new JLA book is somewhat disappointing.
Old 04-25-17, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is she just "Frost" now?
Old 04-26-17, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Some rumors indicate she may be the villain/frenemy in the Flash movie if it ever happens. The push behind her in the comics seems to confirm the idea.
Old 05-10-17, 07:26 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Starting going back through the collection and re-reading some of the better 80's independent titles of that time.

Dark Horse Presents - what a wild ride.

Starslayer - Mike Grell's personal swan song to space adventures, and what brought the Rocketeer to light.

Concrete - This needs to be a movie one day. And a very well structured one too.

Mister X - Another zany 80's character that deserves at least a TV show.

Grimjack - John Ostrander and Tim Truman amazing series!
Old 05-10-17, 08:06 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

Some great reads there Bosco! Mister X and Concrete are both in my top 5/10 titles of all time.
Old 05-11-17, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Finished up Inhumans vs XMen. A six issue miniseries that basically cost 27 bucks at retail, with a bazillion alternate covers. The first four issues or so you get a decent buildup... the Inhumans terrigen cloud is going to eventually disperse in the atmosphere and wipe out all Mutants on the planet, which the XMen have an issue with, so fisticuffs ensue. It starts with a bunch of tactical strikes on the Inhuman heavy hitters, individuals get the spotlight, the Inhumans regroup, etc. Then for whatever reason it just all falls apart and they just rush to an ending with a bunch of exposition and the character assassination of a major mutant. Did I mention that they couldn't even get one artist to do this, so it'll look horrible collected?

Maybe the tie ins flesh out the story a bit more but man what a waste. You know it's bad when, near the end, a character goes so far as to say "if you told us this from the beginning, we wouldn't have had to fight" which is like the oldest superhero fight cliche. The intent of this story was to relaunch both franchises, but after wasting almost 30 bucks on this, it doesn't really motivate me to pick up a dozen new titles featuring these characters. Did I mention that midway through this series they changed the digital bonus program so I only own half of these digitally?

Luckily (for them, not me) I preorder my comics, so I had already ordered the follow up XMen book, Xmen Prime. My first thought on opening this comic was, they couldn't get someone other than Ken Lashley to do this one shot? He's perfectly serviceable (well, that may be a bit too generous) but it's a one shot that relaunches your XMen brand, go get a heavy hitter to do it.

My second thought is that the book was just unnecessary. Hey Kitty's back! And she's in charge, and you have to get hit over the head with dialogue explaining how she was once the student but is now the teacher. Except hey we kinda did this before. Oh, and Colossus shaved his beard. All that for only five bucks. Oh plus I get digital copies of the first issues of Iron Fist living weapon, spider man miles morales v.2 and guardians of the galaxy treasury edition because who doesn't love random first issues of completely unrelated titles?

Ugh I feel like a bitter old man. On the bright side, Supersons is all kinds of fun, as is Nova, which is cancelled.
Old 05-11-17, 04:49 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Some great reads there Bosco! Mister X and Concrete are both in my top 5/10 titles of all time.
Thank you Trevor!

I'm a nut over the Copper Age period. But especially over the independent books that were making their way into the world at the time.

- The Crow
- The Tick
- Xenozoic Tales (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this series)

Great times!
Old 05-12-17, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by bosco685
Thank you Trevor!

I'm a nut over the Copper Age period. But especially over the independent books that were making their way into the world at the time.

- The Crow
- The Tick
- Xenozoic Tales (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this series)

Great times!
Xenozoic Tales is a book where I loved the first issue I saw, and knew I should add to my must read list, but keep putting it off. Someday.

There is a highly praised podcast about it fwiw.
Old 01-25-19, 01:56 PM

Plan is to binge my way thru every Justice League of America story over the next couple years, trying to average one book a day. These early stories are getting monotonous, and Snapper Carr sorta sucks, but I’m hopeful for some gems to come along soon.
Old 01-25-19, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Been bingeing through the recent Spider-Geddon storyline. Just read Spider-Force #3.
Old 01-29-19, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished the Spider-Geddon storyline. It was okay. Not as fun as Spider-Verse but a decent follow up. They really focused on Spider-Otto and Miles by keeping Peter off on his own storyline. I guess it makes sense since they're pushing the new Superior Spider-Man series and non-Bendis Miles.

Currently reading T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents #8.

Old 01-30-19, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been reading the short Who Is Wonder Woman? trade I picked up at Ollie's for cheap. This actually features Donna Troy more than Diana herself and I'm not sure if it even remains in continuity. It's a fairly recent book going by the art but I am no Wonder Woman expert. It's been pretty interesting and I think it's from the time that Diana disappeared for a year.
Old 01-31-19, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Not in continuity any more. That was the run that started right after Infinite Crisis (back in 2006).
Old 01-31-19, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
^ Not in continuity any more. That was the run that started right after Infinite Crisis (back in 2006).
Maybe it's because I'm liking the art, but it's solid reading. Diana comes back dressed as some sort of agent.
Old 02-19-19, 10:11 AM

Loved the new Conan from Marvel. Mahmud Asrar’s art is always great, but I think it’s going to fit perfectly here. Jason Aaron can do no wrong, from what I’ve read so far of his work. Just one issue in so far, but I see a nice mix of fresh ideas and nods to the past being a part of his run.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.