Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What are the gems of your collection?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-15, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: What are the gems of your collection?

Originally Posted by kahuna
Yes that little comic shop closed down in the middle 1990's. I found them on day when I came back home & was station at Schofield Barracks & worked at Kunia Tunnel.

Not into comics anymore put I have spent my fair share of time at Jelly's. There was one in Pearl Kai & I believe moved behind Cutter Ford in Aiea. Which I think is still there.
The one behind Ford is still there. I met the owner Perry a few years ago; cool guy. I was surprised to find out he's from Ca. I thought he was a local.

Originally Posted by davidh777
Which one moved? The one at Ward Warehouse? I have a soft spot for that one, because dropping in there on a vacation introduced me to the world of trade paperback collections, rekindling my interest in comics.
Yeah, the one at the Ward Center; down the street from Ala Moana mall moved. I haven't been to the new location yet.

If your looking for just TPBs; I suggest Collector's Maniacs. They have tons. The place is a mess and it looks like stuff has been sitting there for awhile but most of the TPBs are 50% off. It's in a seedy part of town. A lot of the buildings are run down and still looks like the 40's.
Old 09-28-15, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 363 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Which one moved? The one at Ward Warehouse? I have a soft spot for that one, because dropping in there on a vacation introduced me to the world of trade paperback collections, rekindling my interest in comics.
Never knew there was one in the Ward Warehouse. I think there are only 2 locations now. Jelly's Honolulu ( 670 Auahi St. #A-6) & Jelly's Aiea (98-023 Hekaha St., ste. 9).

I use to always visit the one on 404 Piikoi St. when I was down that way. As well the one across from Kaimuki High School as well as the one in Mililani. Use to be a regular at the Pearl Kai store until they moved to the Hekaha St. location. Only because they were closer to where I lived. Norm the owner has had a # of locations. My favorite was the 404 Piikoi St. location which had Records Hawaii next door to Jelly's.
Old 09-28-15, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
Yeah, the one at the Ward Center; down the street from Ala Moana mall moved. I haven't been to the new location yet.

If your looking for just TPBs; I suggest Collector's Maniacs. They have tons. The place is a mess and it looks like stuff has been sitting there for awhile but most of the TPBs are 50% off. It's in a seedy part of town. A lot of the buildings are run down and still looks like the 40's.
Never knew there was one in the Ward Warehouse. I think there are only 2 locations now. Jelly's Honolulu ( 670 Auahi St. #A-6) & Jelly's Aiea (98-023 Hekaha St., ste. 9).

I use to always visit the one on 404 Piikoi St. when I was down that way. As well the one across from Kaimuki High School as well as the one in Mililani. Use to be a regular at the Pearl Kai store until they moved to the Hekaha St. location. Only because they were closer to where I lived. Norm the owner has had a # of locations. My favorite was the 404 Piikoi St. location which had Records Hawaii next door to Jelly's.
The comic place in Ward Warehouse was Other Realms, and it looks like that one has moved to Nimitz Center. Since I'm not local, I only ran across Other Realms during one of my family's shopping trips to Ward, but I would hit it on all subsequent vacations every couple years. I went to a Jelly's for the first time on my last vacation.
Old 09-28-15, 05:36 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Moving to Hawaii Talk....
Old 09-28-15, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In Mililani on Meheula Pkwy exit off of H2 there's a new comic store called Dragon's Lair. It's behind McDonald's. I haven't gone there yet but I see it when I go to my brother's house.
Old 09-28-15, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok...back to topic. Not gems but they are mint and worth something. Best part is I got them for free.

Old 09-28-15, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

That Batgirl costume
Old 09-28-15, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Ah, the days when an annual was only 1.25. I loved that Annual, with Claremont and Alan Davis. In fact, I fondly remember a lot of the (non-event-related) X-annuals in those years, including the Art Adams ones.

And man, I miss Mike Parobeck...
Old 09-28-15, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

That is a great Batgirl cover.
Old 09-29-15, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Dark Horse Godzilla #1 Second run
Old 09-30-15, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Mine are two huge runs:

Chris Claremont's entire X-Men run from Giant-sized, up until the early '90s (and a good chunk afterwards)

Peter David's entire run on Incredible Hulk

I have more, but those are the big ones.
Old 10-01-15, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Probably a signed hardcover edition of Astro City with Alex Ross and Kurt Busiek's signatures.
Old 10-05-15, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I used to have the entire run of The Incredible Hulk excpet for #1, I stopped collecting a few years ago when there were like 4 different Hulk comics a month. I still have my run, it's just not up to date.

In college around 2000 I bought the Dark Knight Returns set for like $20 on ebay, and the entire V for Vendetta for about the same.
Old 10-07-15, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I got a book personally signed to me by Paul Dini. They ran out of all of his stuff but he was a nice guy and said he'd sign anything, so he signed the paperback version of Kingdom Come for me, which was cool. This was last week during the Batman day thing.

Swell guy. What's funny is that I had gifted one of my sisters the Batman animated series that is now OOP on DVD years ago (the fancy set) and Dini signed that box for her, as well.
Old 10-08-15, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

My new gem:

Old 10-08-15, 09:29 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

^ That's sweet, but comics shouldn't be in plastic slabs!
Old 10-08-15, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to think that, but then I started getting bigger and bigger books. Besides, I already read it in the Superman Omnibus
Old 10-08-15, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 609 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
My new gem:

I'm insanely envious!! Why is it rated at .5?? It looks darn nice. Pages missing?
Old 10-08-15, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Bronkster
I'm insanely envious!! Why is it rated at .5?? It looks darn nice. Pages missing?
Yeah, I was sort of wondering about that myself. Just looking at the cover, and I'd probably grade it conservatively as a low fine or high very good. No major creases or tears, just a bit of wear at the corners, looks clean and sharp.
Old 10-08-15, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the past few years I've come around Im not that much of a collector. When asked at the shop if i want bags and boards my reply is normally "Nah they all end up in a pile/basket next to the toilet." But I do still cherish my DD run of 1-44 v1 and my Miller run of DD.
Old 10-09-15, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bronkster
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, I was sort of wondering about that myself. Just looking at the cover, and I'd probably grade it conservatively as a low fine or high very good. No major creases or tears, just a bit of wear at the corners, looks clean and sharp.
No back cover, which is an automatic .5

But I was able to afford it
Old 10-09-15, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That cover does look very clean. Was the tear right on the crease? Still nice, though.

Here's pics of the back in case your interested.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Last edited by mrhan; 10-09-15 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-10-15, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 363 Likes on 215 Posts

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Limited Edition Hardcover Book Signed by Frank Miller (1st printing). Only 4000 books were printed & have #1308 of 4000. Still in shipping carton.

Finally after many years of posting on CL. I have a buyer for the Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Limited Edition Hardcover Book to someone on the mainland. They have a friend who lives on Oahu & they will be stopping by later in the week.
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (02-28-24)
Old 10-11-15, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,213 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Very nice! I was wondering why it rated a poor, but yeah, no back cover would do it. It displays very well at least.
Old 10-11-15, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrhan
That cover does look very clean. Was the tear right on the crease? Still nice, though.

Here's pics of the back in case your interested.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Yeah I started looking for other books that came out that month for a back cover. Nothing really cheap and Detective 38 came out that month

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.