Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

New York Post spoils Batman Inc #8

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-13, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: New York Post spoils Batman Inc #8

at people spoiler-tagging their comments in a spoiler thread.

The DC 52 Robin situation is quite retarded. Four Robins in 5 years? They really didn't think this through did they? And now probahly a fifth? Being Robin is like being the drummer in Spinal Tap...
Old 02-28-13, 05:49 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
at people spoiler-tagging their comments in a spoiler thread.

The DC 52 Robin situation is quite retarded. Four Robins in 5 years? They really didn't think this through did they? And now probahly a fifth? Being Robin is like being the drummer in Spinal Tap...
Yeah, they didn't think it through at all. Even worse than four Robins in five years is the whole impossibility of Damian's existence. If superheroes have only been around for five years that means Bruce would have met and knocked up Talia before he ever even became Batman. Yet the whole reason Bruce was ever of interest to Ra's in the first place was because he was such a great detective as Batman.
Old 02-28-13, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Ive given up on the 5 year thing when it comes to Batman, since nothing really changed post 52.

Seems like the only drastic changes in the whole 52 were Superman. Hawkman simply shifted back to Silver Age origin. Firestorm had a soft boot, instead of exploding after Brightest Day.

Oracle to Batgirl could have been done at anytime.
Wonder Woman could have found out about Zeus at anytime.
Teen Titans, JL and other teams have cast changes anyway.
Swamp Thing's changes could easily have been done after Brightest Day.
Aquaman was already doing well in Brightest Day, and his series is just a continuation of that.

You know the more I think about it, Brightest Day, given some time to develop afterwards could have been a good soft boot. Look at Marvel, they released a few #1's shook up the creative and basically achieved the same effect.

Last edited by stingermck; 02-28-13 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-28-13, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Yeah, they didn't think it through at all. Even worse than four Robins in five years is the whole impossibility of Damian's existence. If superheroes have only been around for five years that means Bruce would have met and knocked up Talia before he ever even became Batman. Yet the whole reason Bruce was ever of interest to Ra's in the first place was because he was such a great detective as Batman.
This is obviously the stuff that can drive someone completely batty (pun intended!). As the DC universe doesn't function in real time anyway (ie Damien didn't age almost two years since the launch of the New 52), I don't much care about the timeline not making sense. The only Batman retcon that bugs me is Tim Drake's origin.
Old 02-28-13, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

Spoiler:
What really confuses me about the Harper Row character is if DC did want a female Robin, then this would be the perfect opportunity for them to bring Stephanie Brown back. It doesn't make sense why they would create a brand new character instead of bringing back a fan-favorite.

Also, as I mentioned before, why would Bruce even want a new Robin so soon after his own biological son was just brutally murdered? It goes completely against his character. It took him seemingly forever* to allow Tim to officially become Robin after Jason was murdered, and Damian being murdered should hit him a heck of a lot harder.

*Yeah, I know it was only about 1.5 real-time years from when Tim was introduced in late 1989 in A Lonely Place of Dying to early 1991 when he officially became Robin, but when you are a young kid reading these comics month-to-month as they are published that 1.5 years seemed like forever.
Still spoilerized speculation...

Spoiler:
I believe DC's brass thinks Stephanie Brown is nothing but a character with very limited marketing potential. You have to remember that everything in comics now from DC and Marvel is done with an eye for film and television. Her name alone sounds plucked out of the '60s. Teenage girls will gravitate towards a modern name like Harper Row. It's better in their thinking to start over than use a character a few diehard fans care about.

As for DC overall, the Batman books sell so well that it is too tempting to introduce new characters as a Robin, even if the character is not going to stick around in that role. I don't think new Robins will last very long in the role, going forward. It's going to become a way to introduce new characters and make them instantly popular.
Old 02-28-13, 12:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by madcougar
The only Batman retcon that bugs me is Tim Drake's origin.
Oh good god, that is by far the worse. As far as I am concerned, the new 52 Tim isn't even the same character as the Tim from 1989-2011. (And he really kind of isn't since it was revealed his real name isn't actually even Tim Drake at all.)

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
As for DC overall, the Batman books sell so well that it is too tempting to introduce new characters as a Robin, even if the character is not going to stick around in that role. I don't think new Robins will last very long in the role, going forward. It's going to become a way to introduce new characters and make them instantly popular.
So then when DC does the next relaunch in another 20 years they will have the problem of fitting 10 Robins into a 5 year timeline.

Spoiler:
Maybe not bringing Stephanie Brown back as Robin, but what about Cassandra Cain? She was a badass ninja, so she could fill in Damian's badass ninja role quite well. Although it might be awkward seeing Cass as Robin.

Last edited by kgrogers1979; 02-28-13 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-01-13, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

So then when DC does the next relaunch in another 20 years they will have the problem of fitting 10 Robins into a 5 year timeline.

Spoiler:
Maybe not bringing Stephanie Brown back as Robin, but what about Cassandra Cain? She was a badass ninja, so she could fill in Damian's badass ninja role quite well. Although it might be awkward seeing Cass as Robin.
I think that DC wants an entirely new character for Robin this time.
Old 03-01-13, 03:23 PM
Banned

The new Robin confirmed:

Spoiler:
Old 03-11-13, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I got Batman Inc #8 from Comixology. It wasn't a bad issue but I was disappointed with it overall. I've also recently come across some pages from "Leviathan Strikes" and the Morrison-less "Batman & Robin."

Damien murdered a criminal in his original introductory story arc. Then he murders another villain trying to do a martial arts move that Batman wouldn't teach him. Then he murders again trying to save his father. It's hard to have sympathy for Robin ver. 5 and hard to believe that Batman would continue to allow him to be fighting crime at his side.

Then I also saw that Jason Todd was one of Batman's agents, the former a multiple murderer.

Pretty disappointed with Grant Morrison's portrayal of Batman.
Old 03-11-13, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The new Robin confirmed:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I wonder if we can expect some sort of Abed as Batman and the new Robin on Community.
Old 03-14-13, 02:31 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
The second the East Coast sold out, some West Coast stores started upping their prices before they opened. Some of the dealers at Frank & Sons (a local show out here) have already said they're pricing the book at $5 when they open at 3pm today.
I fucking hate that shit. Singles are already expensive enough without dealers jacking up the prices the moment they hear an issue might be more popular than normal. People love to talk about their LCBS, but then they pull shit like this. Ugh.
Old 03-14-13, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Well, Frank and Sons is a scalpers paradise, so no surprise there... a lot of dealers there will troll the local toy stores and Targets to get all the hot collectibles. Heck, when I was in college the nearest LCBS used to do the same thing.

I actually don't have that much of a problem if they jack up the price of these kinds of issues every once in a while, if they sell it for normal price to their regular customers and people with pull lists. They might as well make money off of it then getting some guy from Frank & Sons in who wipes them out just to resell it themselves.
Old 03-14-13, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I fucking hate that shit. Singles are already expensive enough without dealers jacking up the prices the moment they hear an issue might be more popular than normal. People love to talk about their LCBS, but then they pull shit like this. Ugh.
I'm sure many places are run by scumbags, but my LCBS (Bedrock Comics) put my name on a list when I asked for a copy the day the book hit the stands since it was sold out, called me when it came in a week later, and charged me $2.99 for the book when I showed up to pay for it. If we're going to call out the sucky places, let's call out the good ones, too.
Old 03-14-13, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

DJ's Universal Comics in Studio City had it for regular price all week even after it started getting scarce. My copy was waiting for me the night it was released.
Old 03-14-13, 11:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
I'm sure many places are run by scumbags, but my LCBS (Bedrock Comics) put my name on a list when I asked for a copy the day the book hit the stands since it was sold out, called me when it came in a week later, and charged me $2.99 for the book when I showed up to pay for it. If we're going to call out the sucky places, let's call out the good ones, too.
Fair enough.