Thinking of getting back into comics...

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Thinking of getting back into comics...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-12, 01:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Thinking of getting back into comics...

Originally Posted by innocentfreak
cool I will check them out.

I am also trying to find a hot deal type site like cheapassgamer for comics and comic book trades paperbacks/hardcovers, but no such luck yet.
There isn't such a site.

I wish there were.

I monitor a handful of comic book forums and honestly, most comic book fans seem perfectly happy to pay cover price from their LCSes or the 35% to 50% discounts from sites like Amazon, BN, CheapGraphicNovels, InStockTrades, etc.

But to me, those prices aren't "deals." Even if its a 50% discount off cover price, if that's their every day price, then thats the new baseline price and I'm looking for deals below that. Obviously 50% isn't many if any stores/sites everyday price though, just an example.

I guess paying more for comics isn't any different than someone who walks into GameStop and pays $60 cash for a new game, or someone who walks into Best Buy and pays $40 for a single season of a TV show on DVD, when both will be much cheaper in a short amount of time.

But the number of people looking for deals on comics seems to be much lower than say the number of people looking for deals on games like over at CAG. I don't know of any DVD deal websites other than the DVD forum here, and I'd say people searching for comic deals are less in number than the same people I see frequenting the DVD Bargains forum here.

If you don't mind remainder marks, there are a lot of discount sellers on eBay and Amazon Marketplace that sell trades for low prices which are Prime/FSSS eligible. There are sites like BargainGraphicNovels selling publisher overstock but shipping kills most of the deals. TFAW also has good base prices, but shipping kills their deals.

For new releases, I find that eBay is the best resource as people who have buyer's remorse or think they're flipping it often have books that sell for well below any site/store's prices if they do an auction. Of course, you'll find a ton of BIN listings for prices over Amazon, etc. which makes me wonder why they bother.
Old 02-17-12, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least with DVDs they are posted on slickdeals and you can create alerts for them.

Yeah everytime I found a decent price shipping killed it.

I do agree it is odd there isn't one. Maybe we need to all agree on a site like SD or CAG or even a comic book forum and start our own. Of course maybe with so many sites having the 40-50% off there really aren't any great deals beyond that.
Old 02-18-12, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Well, there are a lot fewer people shopping for comics than for DVDs, sorry to say. And a lot of them are nerdy, er, loyal enough to want to support their LCS, which I agree with in principle, but just can't get myself to pay those prices.

Lately I've been dipping a lot more into the Amazon remainders (Prime helps) and have only gotten one that I think showed enough wear that I wouldn't have picked it off a bookstore shelf. I've placed some orders at bargaingraphicnovels and not really broken down the shipping costs, but I always order at least four books at a time. The cheapgraphicnovels shipping was pretty cheap (5.99) because I was ordering four omniboo.

In general, I think 35% off is a fair price for new, but I do love a bargain...
Old 02-18-12, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have an iPad too. And was wanting to read comics on it but can't really justify the price. The inflation on monthly comics is just rediculous these days. I mainly just buy omnibus' and oversized hardcovers which are expensive but they look so good. Maybe one of these days Marvel will come to their senses and notice their not making much money on the app and make it a rental service.