Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

TPB/Omnibuses and time

Old 01-06-12, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

TPB/Omnibuses and time

As I continue to read my latest Marvel Omnibus purchase, John Bynre's FF, I sit back and think about how many years are contained between the covers. I was in high school when those issues came out, from Marvel Team Up #61 all the way up to FF #262, they represent 1977 to 1983. It seems so different now to be able to read them one after the other instantly instead of having to wait a month between issues. Sometimes I try to recreate those times by putting on music I listened to then, but in an eyeblink I can skip months or years to where what I'm listening to is no longer relevant.

It's just an odd feeling when re-reading those books bring back vivid memories of those times and where/who/when I was.
Old 01-06-12, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: TPB/Omnibuses and time

i can totally relate when reading the X-Men collections.
The Dark Phoenix Saga, which is shorter always makes me feel like a kid, because it was my first book, my grandfather got the collection for a dime at a Thrift shop in the early 80's and I never stopped reading X-men.
Another one is the Fall fo the Mutants tpb...again, it isnt nearly as large, but it always brings back memories of being a kid to me.
Old 01-07-12, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fall of The Mutants was where I really started reading X-Men and it is hugely nostalgic to me. Inferno as well.
Old 01-07-12, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Classic GI Joe collection for me. Joe was the first comic I bought monthly and those really take me back.
Old 01-07-12, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Story arcs are almost unbelievably small if you just go by issue count. Days of Future Past was only 3 issues long, but the story is much larger than that, and that was three months in high school for me. Even the Dark Phoenix Saga was only 9 issues! I am loving the new resurgence of story arc TPBs - just ordered an Avengers/Dr. Doom run from 1976 that I remember fondly.

I'm glad folks here appreciate the nostalgia bug as well!
Old 01-07-12, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I started reading comics during Knightfall and Death of Superman/Return of Superman. Reading those trades always take me back. I still love reading Death of Superman trade.
Old 01-07-12, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When reading an omnibus or trade, I kind of miss the ads from the original comics. Some older comics have great ads that are a huge nostalgia trip for me. Would it really hurt Marvel or DC to include everything from the original comics? Letter columns and sometimes even covers get left out now.
Old 01-08-12, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
When reading an omnibus or trade, I kind of miss the ads from the original comics. Some older comics have great ads that are a huge nostalgia trip for me. Would it really hurt Marvel or DC to include everything from the original comics? Letter columns and sometimes even covers get left out now.
Most people don't pay for over-sized and even in some cases re-colored collections to get the ads for toys and other junk included too. While seeing them in old floppies can definitely be a nostalgia kick, I certainly don't want ads in my trades.

Letters make for easy addition content/back matter and probably would be welcome if they were all relegated to the back of the trade. But that's extra pages to print, so theoretically a higher cost, and are the letters pages really going to sell any extra books? Probably not. So they get left out.

One option, if you'd like ads and letters, would be to collect all the singles, then have them custom bound. There are some amazing custom bound collections out there.
Old 01-08-12, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I like trades from my two periods of reading as a kid: Mid-'70s like Defenders and Avengers, and mid-late '80s like Byrne FF and Miller Daredevil.

It's always a revelation to read an arc in a trade and realize I'm reading an issue that I had somehow missed during the original run.
Old 01-08-12, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jrsl76 View Post
Fall of The Mutants was where I really started reading X-Men and it is hugely nostalgic to me. Inferno as well.
That Alan Davis "Fall of The Mutants" shot gets me every time - in my mind I immediately go back to the excitement of that 10-minute bike ride to my local used book store each Friday (they happened to sell comics, as well). Riding as fast as I could so I could get there and go to the back room where the comics guy (a high school kid) always had the new releases spread out on the tables. I don't think I ever got up there faster than that week that X-Men #225 came out
Old 01-09-12, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nice stories here! I can remember where and when I bought many of my comics - one significant place was a little newsstand/shop called Farrell's on 88th and Lexington in NYC. When I was a teen in NYC in the 70s and 80s I bought many a book from them, along with a Yoo-Hoo for a buck! The store was near my high school on 94th and Park, so it'd be a little hike to go there at lunchtime. When the new books came out, they would lay them out in stacks on a shelf in the rear of the store, so it was easy to get good copies.

There were tons of comic book shops in the area (Supersnipe was on 84th and 2nd, and West Side Comics was on 86th and Columbus) but some of these little places stand out because of the convenience. Many of those shops are gone, but I think Farrell's is still there!

UPDATE: Farrell's is gone - I think it's a UPS store now! Thanks Google Maps and Street View!

Last edited by RockyMtnBri; 01-09-12 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-09-12, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I believe those DVD-Rom collections of PDFs had the ads in them, if you can still track those down.

It is odd reading them all at once, especially if you're used to the current decompressed/write-for-the-trade style of superhero comicbook writing. I also fondly remember the Dark Phoenix saga, mainly because it was one of the few trades that came out at the time. While my mom was a huge comics fan and so I had been reading comics before that, I liked that I could read and re-read the compilation without having to dig through bags of comics to get them in order. Yes, we were comic readers, not collectors, and we had no comic boxes... just stacks of comics outside (!) unbagged on the porch.

I also fondly remember Crisis, though I had no idea what a big shakeup it was at the time, only that the Teen Titans were barely affected and the Legion was basically overhauled (pretty much opposite of what just happened in the DCnU). I also fondly remember the digest collections of old Brave and the Bold, JSA, and Shazam stories. I guess even then I was a wait-for-the-trade kinda guy.

But I don't remember many of the ads... the only ones I really liked were the Hostess ones because they were mini-comics.
Old 01-09-12, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My favorite story arcs are from the 70s, when I started collecting. I am glad that Marvel is unearthing these bit by bit, and so far I've been impressed with the offerings. One arc that needs to be represented is Avengers 164-166 (I know, really brief) where Count Nefaria gains the abilities of three super-villains (Whirlwind, Power Man (later the Smuggler, then Goliath), and the Living Laser) and becomes a force to be reckoned with. One frame I remember is Nefaria hitting the Vision so hard that he shuts down and is out of commission for a few issues (or so I think)! Maybe Marvel can pull together a Count Nefaria TPB that would show his Avengers, X-Men (94 and 95), and Iron Man appearances.

Last edited by RockyMtnBri; 01-09-12 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-10-12, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I find this to be the case with comics and TV shows, with DVDs and Trades you can compress things you watched and/or read over a period of months into hours, it's odd, but ultimately kind of great.

I bought my first comic when I was 2 years old, it was an issue of The Defenders at a convenience store near my grandparent's house. They babysat me two days a week so I'd get to spend $5 (big spender) in the store and I'd basically buy a copy each of just about all the comics they had, it was a really odd mixture. There was the usual Marvel and DC, but they also carried Now comics and some other weird stuff.

The first big arc I remember buying every issue of and all the cross overs was Inferno, but that time I'd discovered the comic shops in my area. I also first started getting into specific back issues because Marvel used to reference plot lines in their comics (I don't know if they still do) but would have foot notes like "see Amazing Spider-Man 225" so I'd write those down and go hunt them down.
Old 01-10-12, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain View Post

The first big arc I remember buying every issue of and all the cross overs was Inferno, but that time I'd discovered the comic shops in my area. I also first started getting into specific back issues because Marvel used to reference plot lines in their comics (I don't know if they still do) but would have foot notes like "see Amazing Spider-Man 225" so I'd write those down and go hunt them down.
I have no idea why they stopped doing this, as that's what got me into other comics back in the day as well. You'd think with all the crossovers that it would be a good idea to reference what other comics events happened in, but they don't.
Old 01-10-12, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I have no idea why they stopped doing this, as that's what got me into other comics back in the day as well. You'd think with all the crossovers that it would be a good idea to reference what other comics events happened in, but they don't.
It could be that the information has become so convoluted and complex that they just leave it up to fans to do it. It is a lazy thing, and hyperlinks would be perfect for online versions of these books.
Old 01-11-12, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I bought my first comic when I was 2 years old, it was an issue of The Defenders at a convenience store near my grandparent's house. They babysat me two days a week so I'd get to spend $5 (big spender) in the store and I'd basically buy a copy each of just about all the comics they had, it was a really odd mixture. There was the usual Marvel and DC, but they also carried Now comics and some other weird stuff.

I'd always gotten the sense that those footnotes were a house-established system to cross-sell as well as entertain. E.g., after a flurry of footnotes, the last would be signed by "--Exhausted Roy." I always liked to see the progression though I rarely sought out an issue referred to.

I find this to be the case with comics and TV shows, with DVDs and Trades you can compress things you watched and/or read over a period of months into hours, it's odd, but ultimately kind of great.
I love big trades but it depends a lot on the title. Bronze Age Marvel I can read over a whole plane flight. DC I find tougher, a lot more stand-alone. I guess I'm thinking more '60s Superman and JLA. '70s Brave and the Bold and Warlord (more arc-based) are fine. One of the worst is war comics. Too much repetition in something like Sgt Rock, and while I used to read Haunted Tank, I only read a small part of the Showcase Presents volume and never went back.