Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC UNIVERSE Reboots in September, Same Day Digital Linewide

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-13, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: DC UNIVERSE Reboots in September, Same Day Digital Linewide

So Tony Daniel will (allegedly) be writing Action Comics for a while? That tempts me. I liked what he did on Detective Comics.
Old 03-20-13, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
So Tony Daniel will (allegedly) be writing Action Comics for a while? That tempts me. I liked what he did on Detective Comics.
Andy had 2 story arcs planned out. So I assume Tony will finish those.
Old 03-20-13, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Andy had 2 story arcs planned out. So I assume Tony will finish those.
That may even be better. I liked his characterization and dialog in 'Tec, but after that first arc with Dollmaker, it seemed like there wasn't as much a strong sense of structure to the book. Working from pre-planned arcs like this could negate that issue entirely.
Old 03-20-13, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe DC will do the right thing, drop the idea of Superman: Unchained, and just put Snyder and Lee on as the new creative team for Superman. (that was James Robinson's idea in his most recent ComicVine podcast)
Old 03-20-13, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Josh Fialkov is also off of Green Lantern Corps and Red Lanterns.

Shit's burning up at DC.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=44391
Old 03-20-13, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Who needs writers when you have editors, right? Just have Lobdell write all the books.

edited to add: oops!

Last edited by fujishig; 03-20-13 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-20-13, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Who needs writers when you have editors, right? Just have Lobdell right all the books.

Looks like a DC editor got to your post.
Old 03-20-13, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by reubs82
Maybe DC will do the right thing, drop the idea of Superman: Unchained, and just put Snyder and Lee on as the new creative team for Superman. (that was James Robinson's idea in his most recent ComicVine podcast)
I wish. With Morrison leaving, Supes needs a flagship, and frankly it needs to be Action or Superman. Not a new title.
Old 03-21-13, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup, editorial strikes again

Venditti, Jensen & Soule Replace Fialkov On "Green Lantern" Titles

Today after the surprise news hit that two writers would be leaving high profile gigs at DC Comics before their first issues shipped, the publisher has responded with the teams that will step in to continue the books.

CBR News learned earlier today that artist Tony Daniel would take over the writing duties of "Action Comics" from Andy Diggle, and we can now confirm both Joshua Hale Fialkov's exit from "Green Lantern Corps" and "Red Lanterns" and the writers who replace him.

On "Green Lantern Corps," DC will welcome "Pinocchio Vampire Slayer" writer Van Jensen who will get a co-plotting assist from regular "Green Lantern" writer Robert Venditti. Meanwhile, "Red Lanterns" will soon be under the guidance of new "Swamp Thing" scribe Charles Soule.

The publisher offered no other comment on the reasons for the switch, though Fialkov gave the reason for his departure on his blog, stating, "There were editorial decisions about the direction of the book that conflicted with the story I was hired to tell, and I felt that it was better to let DC tell their story the way they want. I’m grateful for the opportunity and I’ll miss working with the entire Green Lantern team.

"This was not an easy decision to make emotionally or financially, but, I’m sure it was the right decision for both me, and for the Green Lantern books. The outpouring of support, your kind words and well wishes means so much to me and my family."

Stay tuned for more on CBR as it develops.
Old 03-21-13, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nick Spencer's "New Young Justice" That Never Was

by the amazing Amy Reeder— the unpublished cover for SUPERGIRL 62.

Would’ve been fun.

Actually, figure it’s way past time I told you what the plan was, right?

The idea for the story was pretty simple: Kara learns how to be a leader. She had, to that point, been almost exclusively used as either a solo character, or in a supporting role on a team. I felt like someone wearing that ‘S’ on their chest would find people looking to them for answers when things got bad.

The villain was intended to be the Luthor-Brainiac hybrid clone that Geoff Johns seeded in Adventure Comics. That scene in the one issue I did half of, with Lois running into the Planet offices, the original line was “Who here knew Lex Luthor had a son?”

The original hope had been to use Aqualad here, too.

The story beats that really stand out, to me:

I know I wanted to have a scene where the fight gets really hectic, and Impulse runs away, with Kara really calmly and sympathetically talking to her about it, just the two of them, in the aftermath. That was supposed to be the big moment that Kara comes into her own.

The entire team (except for Kara) were gonna get captured, and Kara would go to Superman, Batman, & Wonder Woman for advice— and from there, putting together ANOTHER team to rescue them (I forget who all was on that one- Black Alice, Klarion, Shining Knight, Arrowette, I think).

The whole thing would climax at the launch party for the Flyover app, and the last scene was Impulse pulling Damian onto the dancefloor.

My secret hope was that the whole thing could work as a back-door pilot of sorts for a new Young Justice series.

That obviously didn’t happen
Old 03-21-13, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

CBR has independently confirmed that, as reported on Bleeding Cool, Joshua Fialkov's resignation from his Green Lantern titles was due in large part to an editorial edict to kill off John Stewart.
Old 03-21-13, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Aside from a small handful of writing mega-stars for the Big Two, it's clear that Marvel and DC are running their comics business now like mini-Hollywood studios, where the corporate/editorial executives are really running the major creative decisions. Most of the writers now are there simply to fill in lines of dialogue, for arcs plotted out by the higher ups.

Why else did everyone think that DC hired so many artists with little writing experience, for the New 52?
Old 03-21-13, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What's interesting is that Peaty must have taken some queues from Reeder's plot, because inexplicably for a few issues pre-nu52 Supergirl teamed up and led a group consisting of Damian, Miss Martian, and Blue Beetle in some Cadmus storyarc that I've otherwise completely forgotten.

I kinda miss that book, Bryan Q. Miller's Steph Batgirl title, and Lemire's Superboy. And especially Krul and Nicola Scott's Teen Titans, given the sorry state that team is in post Flashpoint.

Stranger, what makes you think Marvel does this too? They seem far more likely to emphasize their writers, in fact, it's the Marvel writers that have been featured in the past decade or so. Besides the inane crossovers, they seem to allow free reign to guys like Peter David on X-Factor, who is occasionally forced into a big X-event but otherwise largely does his own thing... and Bru even worked out the death of Captain America. They basically gave Morrison free reign to do what he wanted on New X-men and the same to Whedon on Astonishing, and I haven't heard of many creators leaving because of creative differences or editorial interference beyond the norm. They allowed Hickman to redefine the FF, Bendis to run Avengers, etc. Compare that to James Robinson's ill-fated run on pre Flashpoint Justice League, where he assembled a lineup than had them pretty much all taken away from him by the next issue, or the pulling the rug from under all the pre-Flashpoint series (even though they publicly stated that it was carefully planned for a while).

Note that DC allows some creators free reign (Morrison and Johns) but most of the time if they hand the reigns over it's an Elseworlds.

Last edited by fujishig; 03-21-13 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-21-13, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like DC is backing off of killing Stewart now.

Bleeding Cool
Old 03-21-13, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 452 Likes on 310 Posts

Man, WTF. DC needs to let the creators create!
Old 03-21-13, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,890 Posts

DC is a fucking mess right now.

It's like Marvel in the 90s, under Harras...

...hmm...
Old 04-08-13, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Time for Trinity War

Spoiler for size:

Spoiler:

DC Comics today released new information about its long-awaited "Trinity War" crossover, which will explode across the publisher's line of Justice League titles in July and August. The six-issue storyline takes place in the pages of "Justice League, " Justice League of America" and "Justice League Dark," pitting the three teams against each other in a story designed to define the League's places in the New 52.

"We really want to find and carve out the Justice League corner of the DC Universe," DC CCO Geoff Johns told USA Today. "It is a universe all itself with these three teams, and it feels big enough to be worthy of a Justice League story."

As many fans have guessed since word of the event first broke last year, the Trinity War not only involves three factions of Leaguers, but also DC Comics' Trinity of Sin: Pandora, the Phantom Stranger and the Question, a trio of characters whose New 52 origins were revealed in DC's 2012 Free Comic Book Day offering. Pandora, in particular, takes center stage in the proceedings, which is in keeping with the character since her introduction during DC's "Flashpoint" event, the final storyline of the publisher's previous DC Universe, and her subsequent appearances in all 52 first issues of the New 52's first round of titles.

"In a lot of ways, she's been a pawn for most of her existence," Johns said. "She was tricked into using the box and she's being tricked into doing something now, in a way. The Justice League, that becomes another part of it."

"Trinity War" kicks off in "Justice League" #22 by Johns and artists Ivan Reis and Joe Prado before spilling into "Justice League of America, co-written by Johns and Jeff Lemire with Doug Mahnke on art and "Justice League Dark" by Lemire with art by Mikel Janin.
Old 04-09-13, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Meh. My excitement for the New 52 has dropped drastically.
Old 04-11-13, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Looks like CARRIE KELLEY will be the new ROBIN.

http://www.themarysue.com/carrie-kelley-dc-intro/
Old 04-11-13, 01:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by will travel

Or not.
Old 04-11-13, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

DC back in the news, now with the first transgender character in mainstream comics. No idea if this is just for publicity, though, since this got to the news outlets pretty quick.
Old 04-11-13, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Link?

Found it: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3061268.html

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/...girl/?pid=9875

Featured in Batgirl and written by Gail
Old 04-11-13, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by will travel

Just read it:

Spoiler:
Carrie is a college student who has been tutoring Damien. When Bruce goes to her place to confront her about it, she is having a costume party and is dressed like Robin. She was barely in the issue at all. But, she did have a young blonde roommate, that I will jump to conclusions and say was Stephanie.
Old 04-11-13, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

A transgendered character? I thought Judd Winnick stopped writing for DC...?
Old 04-11-13, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
A transgendered character? I thought Judd Winnick stopped writing for DC...?
What is Jude Winnick doing these days?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.