Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC UNIVERSE Reboots in September, Same Day Digital Linewide

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-11, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 700 Likes on 431 Posts
Re: DC UNIVERSE Reboots in September, Same Day Digital Linewide

That was ONLY on Smallville. And a rather dumb conceit at that, but I suppose it worked for the show...
Old 10-03-11, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Originally Posted by reubs82
Killing Joke, though, was a one-shot Joker "origin", right? In some ways, couldn't it work as long as there's no reference to Barbara Gordon as Oracle? I know there were LOTS of Killing Joke referrals in "Batgirl' (which was a really great read, BTW), so I can understand that.

Also, where are you finding out what's in continuity and not?
I'm assuming Killing Joke still happened in nuDC because there are references to it.

Also assuming that Dick, Jason, and Tim were all Robins because they're still active as Nightwing, Red Hood, and Red Robin.

And I read in interviews with creators and editors that the death of Superman and Blackest Night still happened in the nu continuity.
Old 10-03-11, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'm assuming Killing Joke still happened in nuDC because there are references to it.

Also assuming that Dick, Jason, and Tim were all Robins because they're still active as Nightwing, Red Hood, and Red Robin.

And I read in interviews with creators and editors that the death of Superman and Blackest Night still happened in the nu continuity.
I see. And as a new reader, that's where I'm kind of confused with all of the different characters in different titles. I know how Superman varies between Action and Superman, but is the one in Superman the same as Justice League? And what about Batman? At least four different 5 different titles with that character, but where do they all stand with one another?

That's where my confusion comes in, but I can put that aside for a good story.
Old 10-03-11, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
I thought Metropolis technically was in Kansas? Or was that just on Smallville?
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
That was ONLY on Smallville. And a rather dumb conceit at that, but I suppose it worked for the show...
WAS it in Kansas? One of the weakest cheats to me was the fact that ANY car in a Metropolis scene had "Metropolis" license plates on it. To me this was always done so that you wouldn't exactly know where it was. Of course, it had to be sorta close as Clark was always running back and forth.

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Looks like Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis have been wiped away. Probably Zero Hour too.

Meh... I'll live.
Old 10-03-11, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
WAS it in Kansas? One of the weakest cheats to me was the fact that ANY car in a Metropolis scene had "Metropolis" license plates on it. To me this was always done so that you wouldn't exactly know where it was. Of course, it had to be sorta close as Clark was always running back and forth.

Meh... I'll live.
He "commuted" from Smallville to Metropolis for a little while and Lois and others knew he was still living in Smallville so I'm thinking it wasn't far from Smallville at all.
Old 10-03-11, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He "commuted" from Smallville to Metropolis for a little while and Lois and others knew he was still living in Smallville so I'm thinking it wasn't far from Smallville at all.
I'm pretty sure, early in the series, it was like a 6 hour trip. I think at one point they even give a travel time for like field trip or something...but in the later seasons, when he was going more frequently, they made it out to be a much shorter commute, so they could explain how Lois could live in smallville and work at the daily planet.
Old 10-03-11, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Just read that Perez is off Superman as of #7 and Giffen and Jurgens are taking over
Old 10-03-11, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
I'm pretty sure, early in the series, it was like a 6 hour trip. I think at one point they even give a travel time for like field trip or something...but in the later seasons, when he was going more frequently, they made it out to be a much shorter commute, so they could explain how Lois could live in smallville and work at the daily planet.
I thought in one of the episodes you could see Metropolis from the Smallville water tower or something.
Old 10-03-11, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Dido back peddles, makes even less sense:

For those in crisis over Crisis, let me clarify. The topic of Crisis was much discussed among the editors and talent working on The New 52. With so many characters and histories restarting, major events like Crisis are harder to place when they work for some and not for others. (that was one of the problems coming out of the original Crisis). While we are starting aprx five years into our heroes’ lives, we are focused on the characters present and future, and past histories will be revealed as the stories dictate. Yes, there have been “crisis” in our characters lives, but they aren’t exactly the Crisis you read before, they can’t be. Now, what this means for characters seen and unseen…… well, that’s the fun of The New 52, infinite stories, infinite possibilities, with the best yet to come. [...] P.S. that’s the last time I try and answer a Facebook question before rushing out for dinner.”
Old 10-03-11, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I thought in one of the episodes you could see Metropolis from the Smallville water tower or something.
looks like we are both right. from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_(comics)

On the popular Smallville television series, Metropolis is located in Kansas (a six hour round trip quoted by Lana about Clark going for hot dogs at the stadium). Smallville was also the 2nd (the first being in "Lois & Clark:The New Adventures Of Superman" Episode 10 "The Man Of Steel Bars") Superman TV Show or movie to mention a sports team in Metropolis.[citation needed] In the Pilot episode, Whitney Fordman, Lana's jock boyfriend, mentions that Lionel Luthor is the owner of the Metropolis Sharks football team in which Victor Stone played for during high school. In an interview, the creators of Smallville have stated that Metropolis is approximately 100 miles (160 kilometers) from Smallville, however beginning in the show's fifth season characters are shown routinely travelling back and forth between Smallville and Metropolis for work, Lois Lane and Clark Kent live in Smallville but work at the Daily Planet in Metropolis. In one episode, a letter is shown with the address "Metropolis, KA", suggesting the city is located in Kansas; however, the United States postal abbreviation for Kansas is "KS", not "KA." In another episode ("Fallout"), a map is shown with "Metropolis, KS" clearly labeled; it's in the southwest quadrant of Kansas, somewhere near the real-world location of Dodge City, while Smallville on the same map (marked with a star) appears to be a couple hundred miles to the east, near real-world Wichita. The zip code for Metropolis, Kansas is given at different times as 66632 or 66624. In another episode, it is shown that the Metropolis skyline can be seen from the top of a windmill in Smallville. Another possibility for Metropolis is Kansas City, which sits on the Kansas/Missouri border (a map shown during season 7 puts Metropolis in the same location as Kansas City). However scenes from Smallville show Metropolis as being near a large body of water (see image above), possibly the Kansas or Missouri Rivers. In the third season episode, "Phoenix", Lex is given an office with a "river view" implying that Metropolis is situated on a river; maps of Metropolis shown in the ninth season episode "Rabid" match satellite maps of Chicago, adjacent to Lake Michigan. In the ninth season episode "Crossfire," Lois lists her location as Metropolis, KS for her online dating profile. In the tenth season episode "Shield", Clark purchases an airplane ticket from Metropolis, Kansas to Cairo, Egypt. This clearly identifies Metropolis as being in Kansas in the Smallville mythos.
not that that settles anything for hte purpose of the DCnU...
Old 10-03-11, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 822 Likes on 694 Posts

Who is referencing Smallville the television series? The writers on it did not care one bit for continuity and only had vague ideas about Superman and his past background. They made everything up as they went along, taking a few elements from the Donner movies and general knowledge about Superman. Siegel and Shuster clearly modeled Metropolis after Chicago, which would have been the "it" city in the Mid-West during the 30s and 40s. A kid coming from Kansas would not relocate all the way to the East Coast for his career, particularly when the character was first created.
Old 10-03-11, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Who is referencing Smallville the television series?

I thought Metropolis technically was in Kansas? Or was that just on Smallville?
think that was just Smallville
Originally Posted by HokeyBoy
Originally Posted by madcougar
Originally Posted by majorjoe23
looks like we are both right. from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_(comics)

...Metropolis is located in Kansas (a six hour round trip quoted by Lana about Clark going for hot dogs at the stadium)...In another episode, it is shown that the Metropolis skyline can be seen from the top of a windmill in Smallville...
not that that settles anything for the purpose of the DCnU...

So, it was definitely off topic, but there was a chain of discussion that led us there...
Old 10-03-11, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 700 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Siegel and Shuster clearly modeled Metropolis after Chicago, which would have been the "it" city in the Mid-West during the 30s and 40s.
Not quite. It was Cleveland, actually, in Action Comics #1, that was the home of The Daily Star, Clark Kent's first metro newspaper. Also the hometown of Siegel and Schuster.
Old 10-04-11, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Comicvine has reported on a forthcoming animated series, Beware the Batman. I'll leave it to the TV forum to discuss that but the pertinent information for this thread is at the very end in an addendum:

UPDATE: According to footage from the DC Nation keynote, WB animation, DC Comics and Cartoon Network are creating a one-hour block, a destination for their superhero programming. The two half hours they are currently working on (Green Lantern and Young Justice) will be returning and be in this block. In between there will be "interstitials and shorts," meaning three content blocks: episodic, shorts, and interstitials are live action news segments to demonstrate what's happening around DC Nation. Every week on Cartoon Network you will see something new. Thanks for the tip, Doordoor123.
We've heard they were planning to boost their exposure on Cartoon Network, and this seems to be it. Sounds like a lot of potential reach. Of course, by the time this goes into effect, there may be nothing left by 13 year old fetishes being published but hope springs eternal, right?
Old 10-04-11, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,981 Likes on 1,533 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Comicvine has reported on a forthcoming animated series, Beware the Batman. I'll leave it to the TV forum to discuss that but the pertinent information for this thread is at the very end in an addendum:

We've heard they were planning to boost their exposure on Cartoon Network, and this seems to be it. Sounds like a lot of potential reach. Of course, by the time this goes into effect, there may be nothing left by 13 year old fetishes being published but hope springs eternal, right?
This does sound like a good idea. One because they actually plan to air these in a block, because CN has been terrible at scheduling these things (I still have no idea when Brave and the Bold's last ep is, or if it already aired). Two because this seems to be the audience that they want to go after.
Old 10-04-11, 11:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With the #2s starting tomorrow, I'm curious what you guys are going to stay with. Also, because I know Hokeyboy read them all too, I hope he gives a final rating of his take of the #1s.

I think I am going to continue to buy the rest of the first story of several of the Dark and Edge books. I plan to keep up with this thread to see which other titles are good reads for future TPB buys. It was an exciting, though expensive, month!
Old 10-04-11, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Imprint
With the #2s starting tomorrow, I'm curious what you guys are going to stay with.
I have so far only snagged four books: Action Comics, Batgirl, Batwoman and Detective Comics. If I can get Superman (and if I like it well enough), I'll probably bail on Action but I plan to continue with the other three--though Batwoman is on a short leash. I expect more content than 13 splash pages in a 32 page comic. I'd still like to get All-Star Western, too, and I'm interested in Voodoo enough that if I find it I'll probably pick it up.

Also, I'm interested in The Huntress and Penguin: Pain and Prejudice mini-series that will begin this month. If I get both of those, I could conceivably be up to as many as eight titles, at least for the six months it takes The Huntress to run its course. It's fairly unlikely I'll keep up with that many for that long, though.
Old 10-05-11, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read all 52 #1s and have fallen into the below....(spoilerized for size)

Staying with:
Spoiler:
ACTION COMICS
ANIMAL MAN
BATGIRL
BATWING
DETECTIVE COMICS
SWAMP THING
BATMAN AND ROBIN
DEATHSTROKE
DEMON KNIGHTS
FRANKENSTEIN, AGENT OF S.H.A.D.E.
GREEN LANTERN
GRIFTER
RESURRECTION MAN
SUICIDE SQUAD
SUPERBOY
BATMAN
BIRDS OF PREY
CATWOMAN
WONDER WOMAN
ALL-STAR WESTERN
AQUAMAN
BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT
THE FLASH
GREEN LANTERN: NEW GUARDIANS
I, VAMPIRE
JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK
SUPERMAN
VOODOO

Staying with....for now:
Spoiler:
O.M.A.C.
BATWOMAN
STORMWATCH
DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS
GREEN LANTERN CORPS
NIGHTWING
SUPERGIRL
BLACKHAWKS
THE SAVAGE HAWKMAN
TEEN TITANS

Dropping:
Spoiler:
GREEN ARROW
HAWK AND DOVE (#2 was even more terribler)
JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL
MEN OF WAR
STATIC SHOCK
MISTER TERRIFIC
LEGION LOST
RED LANTERNS
BLUE BEETLE
CAPTAIN ATOM
RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS
LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES
THE FURY OF FIRESTORM
Old 10-05-11, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,035 Likes on 853 Posts

I finally made it into my LCS and saw a few of the New 52 but didn't end up getting any. I probably would have picked up Animal Man because of the talk here, but they didn't have it. A few of the others (I referred to this thread while I was there) probably would have been good, but $3.99 is still a bitter pill to swallow.
Old 10-05-11, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by superfro
I read all 52 #1s and have fallen into the below....(spoilerized for size)

Dropping:
HAWK AND DOVE (#2 was even more terribler)
Old 10-05-11, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah... I didn't pick them all up, but I won't be buying Hawk and Dove, Grifter or Red Lanterns. They didn't do a thing for me. Have yet to find DC Presents or Aquaman.
Old 10-06-11, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finally found Aquaman #1. Probably my favorite read so far. Really excellent job.
Old 10-07-11, 01:59 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I picked up the #2's of Action Comics, Animal Man, Detective Comics, and Swamp Thing. I also grabbed the #1's of Nightwing, Batman and Robin, and Batman: The Dark Knight. Debating grabbing Superman #1. I tend to not like Superman comics, but since much of this reboot seems to affect him I was considering giving it a shot (Action Comics is a separate case as it's Grant Morrison and I like the early years idea).

So far, I've read Action Comics #2. It felt a bit skimpy compared to #1, but Morrison is clearly setting up some stuff to play out in the long term, so I'm sticking with it.

Edit: Batman and Robin was eh. Damian is a little shit, it would seem. Batman: The Dark Knight was wholly indistinguishable from any other Bat-title, which is disappointing because I had read it was going to be about Batman going after some of the weirder, darker stuff Gotham has to offer. I think I'll drop them both and stick with the main Batman title and Detective Comics for my Batman fix.

On the other hand, Detective Comics #2 is the best Batman issue of this reboot so far.

Edit 2: Still on the fence about Swamp Thing. There was more to this issue than #1, but I'm not sure I'm loving the direction they're going. I'll give it a few more issues.

Superman was actually really good. I'll definitely be sticking with that title for a while.

Last edited by Supermallet; 10-07-11 at 03:39 AM.
Old 10-07-11, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Debating grabbing Superman #1. I tend to not like Superman comics, but since much of this reboot seems to affect him I was considering giving it a shot (Action Comics is a separate case as it's Grant Morrison and I like the early years idea).
Edit:
Superman was actually really good. I'll definitely be sticking with that title for a while.
Im still behind on the last week of #1's and this week of #2's, but i felt the same way about Superman. Never really collected him, didn't find him that interesting, but I did enjoy some of John's stuff...I almost passed on it. After reading it, i REALLY enjoyed it, and it will be one of the few i stick with monthly.
Old 10-08-11, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

EW has a sneak preview of Batwoman #2.

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2011/10/05/...o-2-exclusive/

I wasn't terribly impressed with the first issue but I'll stay for a couple of issues more.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.