Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

IDW's "Star Trek" titles written by Scott & David Tipton

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 02-21-11, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got into Trek in '91 and quickly began reading DC's stuff. My interest has ebbed and flowed, and I thought I'd take a look at what IDW has been publishing. I picked up all four issues of Spock: Reflections and the trade paperback of Klingons: Blood Will Tell at Half Price Books.

The best thing I can say about these two stories is that David Messina's art looks good. Both of these stories use a present day conversation as a pretext for a series of flashbacks; not necessarily a bad thing by itself, but I find it suspect that both Spock and Klingons would have the same structure.

In Spock, we see several incidents in the life and career of Spock, almost all of which were alluded to or outright shown in an episode or movie. In Klingons, we see their side of the original series episodes in which they appeared ("Errand of Mercy," "The Trouble with Tribbles," etc.). Not necessarily a bad idea, except that there's nothing really important here. Both stories amount to professional fan fiction of the "Oh! You know what I want to see?" variety.

If you've read these, what were your thoughts? Is this the kind of incestuous storytelling I should expect from other IDW Star Trek titles, even by other creative teams? I want Star Trek to be about something other than just Star Trek, and this is the kind of self-referential tripe that put me off the novels more than a decade ago. Is this all there is?
Old 03-01-11, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: IDW's "Star Trek" titles written by Scott & David Tipton

Are these included in the DVD-ROM collection? I admit I haven't read Trek comics in a while, though I did get the DVD-ROM and always meant to pick up Countdown.
Old 03-01-11, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: IDW's "Star Trek" titles written by Scott & David Tipton

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Are these included in the DVD-ROM collection? I admit I haven't read Trek comics in a while, though I did get the DVD-ROM and always meant to pick up Countdown.
According to the menu screen shot shared on Amazon, the DVD-ROM collection stops with Wildstorm's run and does not include any of IDW's publications.