Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What comic book character has the most 'official' reboots of their origin/history?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What comic book character has the most 'official' reboots of their origin/history?

Old 02-04-11, 02:26 PM
Banned

Hawkman?

Superman?

Supreme doesn't really count as Moore was just doing what he did as a snotty nosed exercise in how pathetic all of the spazz fanboys were for whining and itching about continuity.
Old 02-04-11, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: What comic book character has the most 'official' reboots of their origin/history

Legion of Super Heroes?
Old 02-04-11, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: What comic book character has the most 'official' reboots of their origin/history

I don't know who he or she is, but I do know that it has to be a DC character.
Old 02-07-11, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Power Girl? Donna Troy / Wonder Girl? Hawkman?

Btw, I feel the need to say that Moore's Supreme is one of the best non-Superman but really about Superman stories (though I am enjoying Irredeemable right now as well).
Old 02-07-11, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
All the suggestions thus far have been DC, or DC analogues...

Pretty much everyone in the DC universe at the time was rebooted in Crisis, with the notable exceptions of those who died and the Legion. Of course, the Legion was rebooted when Superboy ceased to exist shortly thereafter, then they were completely reimagined with Zero Hour, then with the Waid/Kitson run, then with the Johns Crisis. Barry Allen was basically rebooted with Flash Rebirth. Supes had post-Crisis Man of Steel, then whatever pre-Crisis hybrid Loeb had, then Johns. Every long standing superhero gets a retrofit to make the timelines work (WW2, Vietnam, etc.)

I'd have to go with the Legion on this one. The mess with Superboy necessitated some pretty far out concepts, including Valor/Mon-el becoming the replacement and a storyline including a cloned Legion and the destruction of Earth, as well as tying things together with the current-day L.E.G.I.O.N. Then Zero Hour basically wipes that out and starts fresh with something totally different. Then Waid and Kitson come along and create a new reality that's totally different (but that's validated by Supergirl joining them briefly). Then Johns brings them all back, and sticks with a pre-Crisis team. The origin with the original trio saving Brande has basically stayed the same, but nothing else has. They may not have the most reboots, but they certainly have some of the most signficant.

Donna Troy gets an honorable mention because her origin (whichever one is current)still doesn't make any sense to me. At least with Power Girl, you can just forget about all that Atlantean, non Kryptonian garbage and still make some sense of it.
Old 02-07-11, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Supergirl?
1)the original Silver Age version
2)the alien Matrix from the pocket universe
3)then she was a half human/half angel being
4)the current version who may or may not be evil and is more powerful than Superman.

Superman has alot too.
1)The Silver Age version
2)The Byrne reboot
3)The Mark Waid reboot
4)The Geoff Johns reboot

Donna Troy has only 3 I think.
1)WW rescuing her as a young child
2)Then she was retconned as a Titan of Myth
3)Then when Bryne was writing WW, she became WW's cloned, magical playmate.
Old 02-08-11, 08:49 AM

Arrghh. I had a 3-paragraph reply and erased it by mistake. I will try again...

Fushijig, I was about to concede LSH but then I got caught on semantics, since, as you note the basic "origin" has stayed the same (3 kids save R.J. Brande) but the details around it have been changed.

However, then I thought, the same can be said of Superman (rocketing from dying planet, earth's saviour, etc.). So maybe we can just talk details as being reboots.

In theory, there are more reboots of LSH, since the Giffen Bierbaum thing had the "soft reboot" when Glorith replaced the Time Trapper. So arguably the timeline started again at that point as well. Oh wait, maybe that is what you are talking about. Never mind, I'm obviously thinking as I type.....

brayzie, I read the wikipedia entry after I typed my previous response. It looks like Donna has had maybe another origin. I have lost track of her. I thought she was just back to being Diana's adopted sister. I'm confused.

Speaking of being confused, Power Girl is back to being the last survivor of another dimension's Krypton. Is Huntress an alternate Bruce's daughter again? I'm confused.
Old 02-08-11, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Donna's is all messed up. I tried reading the wikipedia article on her and wow. I don't think they reverted her back to just being the adopted sister of Wonder Woman. They keep adding more and more revelations to her origin and it just makes it worse.

For Powergirl, it was revealed in JSA Classified #1-4 and INFINITE CRISIS, that she really is the only other survivor of Krypton but only from the Earth-1 universe, and somehow she got displaced during the original Crisis, and the Atlantean sorcery stuff was all memory implants or something.

Huntress is not back to being Bruce's daughter though. She's still some mafia don's daughter, but Catwoman recently had a daughter that she named Helena, but the father is Slam Bradley's son. That storyline didn't take though, and she gave her daughter up for adoption and had herself mindwiped so she wouldn't miss her.
Old 02-10-11, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
Donna's is all messed up. I tried reading the wikipedia article on her and wow. I don't think they reverted her back to just being the adopted sister of Wonder Woman. They keep adding more and more revelations to her origin and it just makes it worse.

For Powergirl, it was revealed in JSA Classified #1-4 and INFINITE CRISIS, that she really is the only other survivor of Krypton but only from the Earth-1 universe, and somehow she got displaced during the original Crisis, and the Atlantean sorcery stuff was all memory implants or something.

Huntress is not back to being Bruce's daughter though. She's still some mafia don's daughter, but Catwoman recently had a daughter that she named Helena, but the father is Slam Bradley's son. That storyline didn't take though, and she gave her daughter up for adoption and had herself mindwiped so she wouldn't miss her.
This is how messed up Power Girl is. She was the Supergirl analogue in Earth 2 pre-Crisis, then post-Crisis couln't be Kryptonian any more, so they turned her into a descendant of Arion, an Atlantean sorceror who used to have his own title. While in Justice League Europe she cut her hair, turned to a yellow costume, and became, basically, a b*tch, all because of some allergy to diet soda (!). She got pregnant (!!) through mystical means, gave birth, the child mystically grew up and then disappeared, never to be seen or heard from again.

During Infinite Crisis, it's revealed that Kal-L from Earth 2 survived (well, we knew after Crisis he did, but he comes back to the universe as I'm sure Wolfman and Perez and the powers that be at the time never intended), and that Power Girl is indeed his cousin. Post Infinite Crisis, Power Girl returns to Earth 2, only to find ANOTHER Power Girl there, and she finds that after Infinite Crisis Earth 2 was recreated with duplicate heroes (which I guess was necessary to explain why the JSA was still on Earth 1), so she really has no home.

Supergirl is kinda different, though. The original Supergirl who died pre-Crisis never really came back. The Matrix entity that merged with Linda Danvers and became the Angel thing was a totally separate entity. And the new Supergirl is also separate from the pre-Crisis Supergirl (though they are retconning some of the original Supergirl's experiences with the Legion). And then there's the Supergirl replacement, Laurel Gand (Andromeda) for several versions of the Legion.

And Donna Troy is more screwed up than just her multiple origins. Seriously, try reading her wikipedia page. In addition to having all of her origins, it reminds me just how many writers put her through the wringer. Her son is going to become some dictator, so she gives up her powers. She loses her husband and son, ruining all buildup that those Wolfman/Perez issues had. She becomes a Darkstar, she dates Kyle Raynor, she (briefly) becomes Wonder Woman (in a series that, like others DC was running at the time, couldn't keep to a schedule so wrapped up in a special months later), she goes to rescue Ray Palmer, she becomes some kind of monitor for the monitors (which was promptly forgotten, as was most of the rest of the waste-of-time-and-money Countdown), and now she gets to be drawn and written badly in Robinson/Bagley's JLA. Oh, and no Wondergirl analogue in the Young Justice cartoon...

Last edited by fujishig; 02-10-11 at 12:47 PM.