Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Green Lantern Omnibus?

Old 11-22-10, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Green Lantern Omnibus?

This is suppose to be released this Friday according to Amazon.com. Anyone else buying this? Think its the first 21 Green Lantern Issues. I wish they would do likewise with Batman and Superman. The way they are releasing The Chronicles -I will be 100 yrs old before they are completed.
Old 11-22-10, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Green Lantern Omnibus?

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
This is suppose to be released this Friday according to Amazon.com. Anyone else buying this? Think its the first 21 Green Lantern Issues. I wish they would do likewise with Batman and Superman. The way they are releasing The Chronicles -I will be 100 yrs old before they are completed.
i ordered it from DCBS, it should be coming sometime next week...
Old 11-23-10, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Aren't the DC omnibus questionable in quality? I remember a huge stink about the New Gods one, did they improve them?
Old 11-23-10, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't pre-order this because the solicits did not provide any info about the book - the size, quality of paper, etc. After getting burned with the Death of Superman Omnibus, I'll never again make a blind buy on a DC Omnibus.
Old 11-24-10, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I can see why people don't like the New Gods Omniboo, but I like the readability and don't mind the quality
Old 11-25-10, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I realize I'm in the minority, but as far as I'm concerned the Jack Kirby Omni's represent the gold standard as far as reprints of pre-mid 80's material goes.

My fondest memories of comic book collecting/reading/trading are from the early 70's to the early 80's- when comics were printed on cheap newsprint, frequently off register, and only the covers were slick and glossy. The form factor used on the Kirby Omni's, as well as new library series of collected stories (which I can't recall the name of now), are like the best of all possible worlds for someone like me. You get a more permanent edition with hardcover boards, and at the same time tactile and sensual qualities of the material the way I remember them. The smell of the pulpier paper alone is a HUGE nostalgia kick. And yet, the reproduction on these is magnitudes better than we ever had back in the day.

I don't have anything against the slick glossy stocks used today. I like 'em just fine for reproducing today's over-laboured, photshop colored fare. But seeing those same techniques applied to vintage material, and then packaged like newer product just leaves me cold.

I took a gander at the GL Omni in the LCS yesterday. Glued binding and bright, color laser copy white paper- Yeeech. I'll take the cheap chronicles any day over that.