Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Need help with Captain America reading

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-10, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with Captain America reading

So I just started getting into comic books and I have to say I've had some wonderfully lucky finds at half price books near me (the entire planet hulk and world war hulk run for $14 as well as Brubakers Immortal iron first for about $1 an issue.) So needless to say I've been really digging Brubaker after Iron fist and when I saw his run of cap america issues 1-24 for $1 a piece I snagged it in an instant. Now I know that brubaker did the death of captain america in his run and I'm completely new to captain america so is there anything I really need to know before going into this series? I'm extremely excited to start reading but I don't want to have a great story be ruined by my not knowing of any of the characters background.
Old 09-29-10, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: Need help with Captain America reading

Hmm. What do you need to know? That's tough 'cause I don't know what you do know or don't. So I'll wing it.

Frail & scrawny Steve Rogers was selected to be to be the first of USA's "super soldiers" before the US entered WWII and eventually partnered with "Bucky" Barnes, a teenaged army mascot (who was the son of a deceased officer, which explained his presance on an army base) to fight primarily fifth columnists in the states and eventually our overseas enemies. The scientist who knew the super soldier formula was killed immediately after Cap's creation thus making Cap the first and last super soldier. Cap trained Bucky in the ways of combat/war and they served together in the WWII superhero group the Invaders until, towards the end of the war, Cap was blown off of a plane/bomb that he was trying to defuse with Bucky. Cap plunged into the ocean and was frozen in a state of suspended animation until he was discovered by the Avengers. Bucky was on the plane when it exploded and presumed dead.

Cap became an Avenger and worked closely with S.H.I.E.L.D. (Supreme Headquarters International Espionage Law-Enforcement Division) for many years under Nick Fury. During that time he met and developed a romantic relationship with SHIELD agent Sharon Carter that was on and off for many years. He also partnered with Sam Wilson, the Falcon, and they fought crime together for a time.

Throughout the War and Cap's modern superheroing, he encounters his arch enemy, the Red Skull, a nazi agent personally trained by Hitler. During one (or more) or their encounters, the Skull obtains the Cosmic Cube, one of the most powerful weapons in the Marvel universe, which is capable of bending reality to the its holders wishes. Another important Cap enemy is Arnim Zola, a nazi biochemist, genetic scientist, and general mad scientist.

Eventually the Marvel Universe heroes become divided into two groups. One, led by Iron Man, believes that all superheroes should be required to register with and work for the government. Cap, standing up for personal freedom, leads the opposition group (as an aside, Spider-Man hops between groups). This becomes known as Marvel's Civil War and set up a confrontation between Cap & Iron Man.

I think that's everything you need to know to enjoy Brubaker's run.

Enjoy!
Old 09-29-10, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ytrez
Hmm. What do you need to know? That's tough 'cause I don't know what you do know or don't. So I'll wing it.

Frail & scrawny Steve Rogers was selected to be to be the first of USA's "super soldiers" before the US entered WWII and eventually partnered with "Bucky" Barnes, a teenaged army mascot (who was the son of a deceased officer, which explained his presance on an army base) to fight primarily fifth columnists in the states and eventually our overseas enemies. The scientist who knew the super soldier formula was killed immediately after Cap's creation thus making Cap the first and last super soldier. Cap trained Bucky in the ways of combat/war and they served together in the WWII superhero group the Invaders until, towards the end of the war, Cap was blown off of a plane/bomb that he was trying to defuse with Bucky. Cap plunged into the ocean and was frozen in a state of suspended animation until he was discovered by the Avengers. Bucky was on the plane when it exploded and presumed dead.

Cap became an Avenger and worked closely with S.H.I.E.L.D. (Supreme Headquarters International Espionage Law-Enforcement Division) for many years under Nick Fury. During that time he met and developed a romantic relationship with SHIELD agent Sharon Carter that was on and off for many years. He also partnered with Sam Wilson, the Falcon, and they fought crime together for a time.

Throughout the War and Cap's modern superheroing, he encounters his arch enemy, the Red Skull, a nazi agent personally trained by Hitler. During one (or more) or their encounters, the Skull obtains the Cosmic Cube, one of the most powerful weapons in the Marvel universe, which is capable of bending reality to the its holders wishes. Another important Cap enemy is Arnim Zola, a nazi biochemist, genetic scientist, and general mad scientist.

Eventually the Marvel Universe heroes become divided into two groups. One, led by Iron Man, believes that all superheroes should be required to register with and work for the government. Cap, standing up for personal freedom, leads the opposition group (as an aside, Spider-Man hops between groups). This becomes known as Marvel's Civil War and set up a confrontation between Cap & Iron Man.

Enjoy!
That was a great re-cap (no pun intended!) of almost 70 years of storytelling! BTW, don't forget about Baron Zemo (he's the one that created the situation where Bucky was "killed") and his son, the new Baron Zemo.
Old 09-29-10, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ytrez

Enjoy!
Words cannot describe how awesome you are. Thank you so much for the amazing recap on Cap history, just reading this has got me even more excited to get reading on brubakers cap. Since you seem to know your stuff, are the civil war tie ins worth reading? I got issues 1-7 of the civil war miniseries but I'm wondering if those tie ins are worth my time or if the civil war miniseries is good enough.
Old 09-30-10, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Happy to help.

I don't like company-wide crossovers like Civil War on general principle so I didn't read them all. I'm sure I read some of them through collected versions of the Avengers and other titles so my advice would be to give 'em a try and if you like them, keep reading. Other advice, when you get to any Cap tie-ins written by Brubaker, read them.

Last edited by ytrez; 09-30-10 at 07:32 AM.