Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

X-Men Age of Apocalypse: what a letdown

Old 08-04-10, 04:45 PM
Banned

X-Men Age of Apocalypse: what a letdown

Never read it when it first came out, but got the 4 tp's a few years ago and read it a couple times since then and, well, underwhelming is a kind way to say how I felt about the endgame. We get this semi-huge buildup to the final fight between Magneto and Apocalypse and then... ... ...nothing. It's over in less then ten pages. Hell bane breaking Batman at least took up an entire issue. And the characters or rather the characterization of the characters was beyond shallow and one dimensional, it was almost zero dimensional.

That being said I sometimes have the whim to pick the Onslaught Tp's, but rather then shell out the $50 it take I'll ask for opinions on it, worthy of a buy or better off sitting and reading it in Borders/Barnes & Noble or just skip it entirely?
Old 08-04-10, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: X-Men Age of Apocalypse: what a letdown

I think this is one case where it read better at the time, when for something like four months all the X-titles were replaced with this alternate reality, and you could read the various issues interleaving between the different stories and trying to figure out what was going on, and how they were going to get back to the normal reality. When I read it in trade a few years ago, which pretty much clumped series together, it didn't have that same impact. If you want a real letdown, read the followup series.

I haven't read it in a long time, but I don't remember the Onslaught issues all that fondly, so I'm going to go with a "skip it."
Old 08-04-10, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I think this is one case where it read better at the time
Exactly. The art, hell the creative teams as a whole were all close to perfect on the books at the time. Mad Dog, Andy and Adam Kubert, Tony Daniel, Steve Skorce, Bachelo, Steve Epting, all working on X-Books at one time, Wow.

Avoid Onslaught like the plague. It's convoluted and just doesn't work. Not only does it not work but they took an X-Men storyline and tried to bring the whole Marvel Universe into it and that just compounded the issue. They built up Onslaught for close to a year but somewhere along the lines changed who it was supposed to be and the reveal failed miserably

Last edited by Timber; 08-04-10 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-04-10, 09:46 PM
Banned

The only good thing about Onslaught was the battle with the character had with the Avengers, Hulk, the Fantastic Four and the X-men, but everything else was crap. Still, worse than Onslaught was Heroes Reborn, which to me showed that Jim Lee is not that talented as a writer.
Old 08-05-10, 11:45 AM
Banned

Thanks for the info, I'm going to pass on the Onslaught series.
Old 08-05-10, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait, they pulled an Armageddon 2001 on Onslaught? Who was it supposed to be?
Old 08-05-10, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait, they pulled an Armageddon 2001 on Onslaught? Who was it supposed to be?
From what I remember it was just supposed to be
Spoiler:
Xavier but they were afraid that they wouldn't be able to redeem him afterward so they did that whole silly Magneto consciousness thing and then compounded it even further with Nate Grey and Franklin Richards.
Old 08-05-10, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
From what I remember it was just supposed to be
Spoiler:
Xavier but they were afraid that they wouldn't be able to redeem him afterward so they did that whole silly Magneto consciousness thing and then compounded it even further with Nate Grey and Franklin Richards.
Wow, that event must've been totally forgettable, I actually thought Onslaught was the guy you just said it wasn't. I only remember the involvement of one of the other characters you mentioned.
Old 08-05-10, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, that event must've been totally forgettable, I actually thought Onslaught was the guy you just said it wasn't. I only remember the involvement of one of the other characters you mentioned.
It was him to an extant but it was supposed to be just him.
Old 08-05-10, 10:40 PM

This was the last series I read before I stopped picking up 'new' comics. Mostly let down and the cost to keep up with it all wasn't worth it. I've been picking the tpbs up when I can get them cheap. I was hoping I might enjoy them more when I can read through them without waiting a month at a time. But by reading these it reminds me of how it was a let down.
Old 08-07-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I blind-bought the first TPB because I used to read earlier X-titles. Really enjoyed the first part but got lost during the last part. Bought the second TPB but it's still gathering dust.