Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC Comics give Wonder Woman a makeover.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-11, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,558 Posts
Re: DC Comics give Wonder Woman a makeover.

You should read the concept behind the tv series before you get too excited: see the TV forum. From what I remember, she's more of an urban vigilante with an alter ego that's a corporate type. I have no idea what either of those has to do with Wonder Woman, but we'll see.
Old 03-26-11, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I just read it. Doesn't sound very good at all. People were saying it's like superhero Ally McBeal.

I feel bad for the WW character. Aside from the popular TV show with Lynda Carter and the original Marston/Peters version, every other interpretation is not really very good.
Old 03-26-11, 08:37 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I like the Perez version, and the Kanigher stuff from the 60s has a certain charm ...
Old 03-27-11, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,147 Posts

Darwin Cooke (The New Frontier) had an awesome version of WW.
Old 04-07-11, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So anybody actually picking up the series? In the latest JL: Generation Lost I read:

Spoiler:

the team finds Wonder Woman, in her new costume, in the "real" universe, though most still don't remember who she is and she doesn't recognize or have any familiarity with any of the superheroes that show up.

Old 04-07-11, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
I like the Perez version, and the Kanigher stuff from the 60s has a certain charm ...
I've read most of everything up to the post-Crisis Perez version but everything after that confused the shit out of me. I haven't read anything WW for the last twenty plus years. All this revisionist/reboot stuff about her history is terrible and when I read that her mother was WW also I just dropped it. It seems none of it is even remotely connected to the WW I remember reading as a kid. I seriously miss the simplicity of multiple earths.
Old 04-07-11, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

To be fair, the Hippolyta-was-the-Golden-Age-WW thing was a product of Byrnes' run, after he had somehow lost his mind and forgotten how to write or draw. He also further destroyed Donna Troy's already-muddled origin.

Also, you're going to get some terrible stories when you're contractually obligated to put out a Wonder Woman comic month after month, no matter what the sales figures are like, or else risk having the property revert back to the original creator's estate. At times they basically just published it to keep the rights to the character.
Old 04-07-11, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
To be fair, the Hippolyta-was-the-Golden-Age-WW thing was a product of Byrnes' run, after he had somehow lost his mind and forgotten how to write or draw. He also further destroyed Donna Troy's already-muddled origin.
Yeah, when I picked up the TPB of his WW work I couldn't even get through it. His artwork was just shit compared to his X-Men run. As for Donna's origin I think Wolfman/Perez sort of fucked that up in the TT Baxter series when they already had it right in the previous series with issue #38.