Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC Comics give Wonder Woman a makeover.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-10, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: DC Comics give Wonder Woman a makeover.

Originally Posted by RayChuang

2) The estate of William Marston--who DC Comics a special agreement with in regards to the Wonder Woman character--may not want the drastic change to last more than two years at most.
Yup. I also believe DC has to keep her solo title in print so many times a year, to keep her as a character. This is why she has never been canceled.
Old 07-07-10, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I like Jim Lee but that's a pretty weak re-design. It's very much like the 90s Superboy or the bike shorts/jacket 90s Wonder Woman. Kind of reminds me of Anita Black Vampire Hunter.

Storywise, it sounds pretty lame. Typical everything-you-know-is-wrong start off. I thought that after INFINITE CRISIS, FINAL CRISIS, and then BLACKEST NIGHT that finally, DC learned that grim n gritty is not the way to go.

Now Wonder Woman's past has been retconned where her people were slaughtered along with her monther and she grows up on Mean Streets. It's pretty un-spectacular to see Wonder Woman punching and kicking run of the mill street thugs. This is better.

Oh yeah, didn't Geoff Johns do this story last year with Flash? Barry Allen's past was retconned so that his mother was murdered by his father. Using his speed abilities he has to uncover the truth to his retconned history and set it right.

Last edited by brayzie; 07-07-10 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-07-10, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dx23
The problem I see is that these marketing stunts alienate the current fanbase and don't convert many casual readers into regular ones. The big problem with Wonder Woman is that she has the worst set of rogues gallery. The superhero comics that are usually the most popular have amazing villains. Wonder Woman is very limited in that way and for that she works better as part of a team than having her solo comic.
Wonder Woman has just not been handled well. She's a cool character. Old school superheroine who fights evil in a sexy costume and has a Greek mythological background.

But one big hurdle is that female superheroes don't sell as well as the male ones because the genre has a majority of male readers.
Second, everything else about the character sucks: villains, storylines, revamps, everything.

Some great pseudo Wonder Woman comics:

Promethea:

Steve Trevor finds out about Wonder Woman's secret

And she has better villains too.

Glory:

Origin Issue

Both these characters are based on Wonder Woman, especially the latter. I'd recommend skipping WW #600 and getting these instead.

Zsa Zsa Zaturnah:

Cover

^ Good story but there's no english translation for the graphic novel.

Last edited by brayzie; 07-07-10 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-07-10, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do like the cover for 601:

Bigger:

Spoiler:
Old 07-07-10, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
The fact this sold out quick wasn't because of the costume change. It sold out because it is a landmark issue (#600) and those tend to sell quickly just for that. The bad thing is that people's reaction to the change would certainly turn away fans from purchasing issue #601.
How did it get to #600. I haven't been into comics in a while but as i remember the original series went into the 300's and the 80's series lasted around 200 or so. Did they combine all the number of all of her series of the past 60 years like Marvel has done recently?
Old 07-07-10, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
Now Wonder Woman's past has been retconned where her people were slaughtered along with her monther and she grows up on Mean Streets. It's pretty un-spectacular to see Wonder Woman punching and kicking run of the mill street thugs.
Because of how the storyline unfolds, I still contend it is almost an Elseworlds alternate timeline storyline. It's an interesting idea but I think in the end we'll be back to the old costume we're all so familiar with.
Old 07-07-10, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck
I like the cover too. Very Heavy Metal.
I also like it cause it reminds me of Kim Kardashian: here
Old 07-07-10, 11:20 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Why? It's a lame generic pin-up that tells you nothing about the contents of the issue. I mean, it's well-drawn, but I'm sure Don Kramer could draw a good picture of Wonder Woman battling this issue's villain.

I mean, here are the covers to 602 and 603:
Spoiler:

I mean, leaving aside that 601 is
Spoiler:
apparently going to be the only comic to ever feature the much-hyped new costume on the cover
is there anything about any of these covers that makes one stand out from the other? If you walked into a comic shop without a pre-existing intention to buy Wonder Woman, is there anything about any of these covers that would make you want to pick up any of these books? If, six months from now, you're in that comic shop and realize you had missed an issue of Wonder Woman, is there anything about any of these covers that would cue you in on which stories you had read and which you hadn't?
Old 07-07-10, 11:25 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by movieguru
How did it get to #600. I haven't been into comics in a while but as i remember the original series went into the 300's and the 80's series lasted around 200 or so. Did they combine all the number of all of her series of the past 60 years like Marvel has done recently?
That's exactly what they did.

Original series (1942-1986): 329 issues
Post-Crisis series (1987-2006): 226 sequentially numbered issues (plus a "zero" issue and a "one million" issue, but we're not counting those)
One-year-later series (2006-present): 44 issues

So 329+226+44 = 599, and what would have been Wonder Woman 45 became Wonder Woman 600.
Old 07-07-10, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
If you walked into a comic shop without a pre-existing intention to buy Wonder Woman, is there anything about any of these covers that would make you want to pick up any of these books?
No.

Those are some generic covers, especially the pre-600 ones. It pretty much guarantees that only hardcore WW fans will be picking up the issue to flip through it.

I'm a pretty big comic nerd and even I don't feel inclined to check for any of these comics.
Old 07-07-10, 11:52 PM
Suspended

No.

Those are some generic covers, especially the pre-600 ones. It pretty much guarantees that only hardcore WW fans will be picking up the issue to flip through it.

I'm a pretty big comic nerd and even I don't feel inclined to check for any of these comics.
I don't mean to pick on Wonder Woman. Most covers are generic these days. Just a pin-up of whoever the title character is with nothing to distinguish one issue from the next.
Old 07-08-10, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The 601 I posted is a Variant.

Here is the common cover, that is more story centric:

Old 07-08-10, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

True about most covers being generic. I remember at one point DETECTIVE COMICS covers were in black and white paintings. That was one series I never bothered to check out. Too bad because it was Paul Dini writing.

But I'm confused, if WW #600 has the new costume, why are the others with the old costume?
Old 07-08-10, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The 601 I posted is a Variant.

Here is the common cover, that is more story centric:
I like the variant better. It showcases her new costume better. The retail version is a typical Wonder Woman cover.

Didn't Paradise Island get destroyed and Hippolyta, Wonder Woman's mother, die in OUR WORLDS AT WAR?
Then Paradise Island already got destroyed again by the Omac's in INFINITE CRISIS.
Then the amazons exiled themselves into limbo.
Then Hippolyta was brought back to life.
But then Paradise Island got near destroyed in AMAZONS ATTACK!

I'd be more impressed if they retconned Wonder Woman and the amazons as being lesbians. I wouldn't really want that change but I'm always hearing from a gay friend how Wonder Woman is gay, because she grew up on Lesbos and was raised by Sappho. I don't think she ever read a WW comic but it seems quite a few people think that the character is a lesbian.

Last edited by brayzie; 07-08-10 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-08-10, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I do like the cover but that costume still doesn't do it for me. It's like Godzilla 98...cool monster flick...if you don't call it Godzilla. This costume would look great on Wonder Girl or Donna Troy...but not Diana.
Old 07-08-10, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, that does look like Donna on the cover. Still, Donna's Teen Titans costume with the yellow stars and all red was the best. I don't know why they don't put her back in that one. The star field ones were awful.
Old 07-08-10, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I think Donna's black outfit is the best she's ever worn. Different strokes....
Old 02-01-11, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has anyone been following this story? Is it over? Did they ever reveal who the guy was that had WW's mom killed?
Old 02-08-11, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone been following this story? Is it over? Did they ever reveal who the guy was that had WW's mom killed?
It's not over. There are little bits here and there that make it clear that the old Diana still exists, and that this might be a false reality. I think this is tied into the ongoing DC Universe storyline of Max Lord's return to power, and given that Diana killed him before Infinite Crisis, might be an act of revenge on his part.
Old 02-10-11, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Originally Posted by DGibFen
It's not over. There are little bits here and there that make it clear that the old Diana still exists, and that this might be a false reality. I think this is tied into the ongoing DC Universe storyline of Max Lord's return to power, and given that Diana killed him before Infinite Crisis, might be an act of revenge on his part.
I haven't been reading Wonder Woman, but I have been reading Justice League: Generation Lost, which pretty much follows Max Lord. I'm a month behind as usual, but (spoilers for Justice League Generation Lost):

Spoiler:
he's been really frustrated that nobody remembers Wonder Woman because he wants to get revenge on her (of course, in that book he can pretty much create mass hallucinations that affect people all over the world, so you'd think he could really screw over just about anyone he wanted, considering all the crap that happened after the world saw WW snapping his neck). Also, the only ones who do remember Wonder Woman are the same people who remember who Maxwell Lord is. If he's behind it, he certainly doesn't know it.

Isn't JMS also off this title already? Did he plot out the conclusion? Also very confusing is that they're using the new WW design in the JLA/The 99 crossover, which is apparently out of continuity.
Old 02-10-11, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought that they retconned the retcon that Max Lord was evil all along, and instead, it was his cyborg parts that messed up his mind. So he's back to being a villain?

I never liked the Wonder Woman: Murderer storyline and I really wish they'd drop these storylines that you need wikipedia to understand.
Old 02-10-11, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought that they retconned the retcon that Max Lord was evil all along, and instead, it was his cyborg parts that messed up his mind. So he's back to being a villain?
That was in Countdown to Infinite Crisis; where he was retconned a bit. Wonder Woman killed him in The OMAC Project mini-series, which was a run-up to Infinite Crisis. DC tried to explain the changes using the "Superboy punched the continuity wall" excuse (similar to the "Magic!" explanation with Spider-Man: One More Day).

He is subsequently resurrected at the end of the Blackest Night story. Lord then uses his abilities to mind wipe his existance from the world's superheroes.

fujishig, I've yet to read Generation Lost, so I had no idea about
Spoiler:
Wonder Woman's disappearance.
With JMS behind that, all I have to say is "Magic!"
Old 02-10-11, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Countdown to Infinite Crisis was like the biggest middle finger to any Giffen/Demattias JLI fans. And right after two cool Giffen/Demattias/Maguire miniseries that reunited the team, including non-evil Max Lord (the first miniseries even won an Eisner). Basically made Max an evil mastermind who secretly undermined the JLI the whole time, kill off a major character for shock value, made Batman into a paranoid madman who nobody trusted and Wonder Woman into a killer. Then Countdown to Final Crisis, among other things, destroyed Mary Marvel. Now Justice League:Gen Lost is slowly losing my confidence, as they completely obliterate Ice's character.

Okay, sorry for the side-rant.
Old 02-11-11, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember being completely oblivious when various comic forums were in an uproar about Blue Beetle getting shot in the head. I didn't know anything about "Super-buddies." I finally got some back issues of Formerly Known as the Justice League. Wow, really great stuff!
Old 03-22-11, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't know they have a WW tv show coming out! I just saw the costume. I would try posting it but this computer is acting buggy.

It looks kind of cool if the show is going to be like Power Rangers, but supposedly it's not going to be campy or anything, maybe like Smallville so if that's the case, I don't know.

I wouldn't be surprised if the comic WW will end up going with the TV costume.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.