Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

iPad for comics

Old 04-04-10, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

iPad for comics

I had brought up the topic before, and people have mentioned it in the Tech forum, but was wondering if anyone had more specific discussions about these comic apps. Pretty good selling point for me, though maybe not enough to make me actually get one right now.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2010/...mics-ipad-app/

What will Iron Man, Captain America and the rest of Marvel Comics’ characters look like on the iPad? Marvel offered a first look at its app for the upcoming touchscreen device Friday, promising a slew of superhero stories, all “optimized for the iPad through painstaking recoloring and redigitizing of select content.”

“We’re excited to introduce an unparalleled digital comic experience to our fans with the Marvel Comics App for iPad,” said Dan Buckley, publisher and CEO of Marvel Publishing, in a press release Friday. “The iPad is the first device that offers us a chance to present digital comics that are even close to replicating the experience of reading a print comic.”

The free app will let fans dive into more than 500 comics from Marvel’s library, with “launch titles ranging from the first appearances of characters such as Spider-Man and the X-Men to modern classics like the debut of Red Hulk, Jonathan Hickman’s acclaimed Fantastic Four run, Joss Whedon and John Cassaday’s Astonishing X-Men and lots more,” Marvel said. “The Marvel Comics App features multiple viewing modes, taking readers panel-by-panel through the comic book in a smooth, action-packed progression using just the swipe of a finger.”

Readers can preview three pages from each available comic before purchasing individual issues, which will cost $2. The app, created by Marvel and ComiXology, includes a recommendation engine and a comic shop locator, and also works with the iPhone and iPod Touch. You can see the app in action in Boing Boing’s hands-on video review, embedded above.

Several landmark titles will be available free for a limited time, including first editions of New Avengers, Captain America, Invincible Iron Man, Thor and Super Hero Squad, Marvel said.
Old 04-04-10, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: iPad for comics

OK, I still don't have an ipad but I have a Touch so I downloaded the free Marvel app. From the app I downloaded a free comic, then to get a second one I had to register, which seemed reasonable. From there I downloaded five more. I tried to sample reading one and got the message "Looks like you're reading your first comic!" and something about reading tips. Not in the mood, I canceled out of that. But then when I went in to read again, I didn't get that help screen and I felt like I needed it because it didn't seem complete somehow. So now I have to figure out how best to read these things. But set-up and everything was pretty easy, and I know Touch isn't supposed to be the optimum experience here so I'm still intriquged.

The freebies:
Amazing Spider-Man 1999 #546 and 547
Fantastic Four 19997 #570
Hulk 2008 #1
New Avengers 2004 #1 and 2
Old 04-05-10, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

2 bucks an issue? I guess it's good that they're not just charging cover price, but are there discounts if you buy a bunch, or do they sell in sets?
Old 04-05-10, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It would feel weird to bring an iPad with me into the bathroom, as I usually read my comics during deuce time.
Old 04-10-10, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah, I figured out how to work it, by finger-swiping. Too bad I didn't read my above quote that mentioned "with the swipe of a finger."

A guy on the bus next to me was reading Tintin on his ipad. Looked very nice...
Old 04-12-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually downloaded this for the iphone (since I'm waiting for the 3G ipad) and the interface is actually pretty nice there, too, with zoomed in panels. Still not excited about paying 2 bucks an issue.

Anyone try that comic reader mobi? I tried the demo version and, while not as nice as the customized comics in the Marvel and Comixology reader, seems fine. A bit pricey, though. Anyone have it for ipad or iphone?
Old 04-12-10, 01:49 PM
Banned

The only stupid thing about this is the fact that the app doesn't read the Digital Comics. That sucks for people that have Digital Comics subs with Marvel and can't use them on the iPad.
Old 05-09-10, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This Marvel app offers new freebies every month Sure, I know they're trying to hook me on a series, but I appreciate anything free. This month was a 2010 Black Widow, plus three Iron Mans, including two from 1968.
Old 06-01-10, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Anyone try that comic reader mobi? I tried the demo version and, while not as nice as the customized comics in the Marvel and Comixology reader, seems fine. A bit pricey, though. Anyone have it for ipad or iphone?
Seems like comic reader mobi got delisted. Since I bought it before it got delisted, I've been using it on my ipad, but cloudreader also works well and is free.

I guess the Marvel online sub site uses Flash? I'd love a subscription service that works with the ipad.
Old 06-01-10, 01:08 PM

I havent read comics for years but downloaded these apps to the iPad a couple weeks ago - have to say I'm hooked! The way the transitions work (full-page, single panel mode) is fantastic. I prefer the content in the Comixology app (Comics) - spent about $20 so far on it!

Only complaint would be that sometimes scaling a single-panel to full-page mode makes is way too pixelated. They need higher resolution artwork.

For $0.99 (most of the comics I bought), the price is definitely right! Just wish more publishers had content on it. I'd LOVE to pick up Sin City on this thing!
Old 06-04-10, 09:36 PM

For anyone using the "Comics" app (comixology) - they've added an online portal to view your content from a PC: http://comics.comixology.com
You can also view some free samples on there. You can tell its still a work-in-progress (it's listed as a Beta), but it's kind of neat to be able to view your collection from any PC!
Old 06-05-10, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by SPIDERone View Post
For anyone using the "Comics" app (comixology) - they've added an online portal to view your content from a PC: http://comics.comixology.com
You can also view some free samples on there. You can tell its still a work-in-progress (it's listed as a Beta), but it's kind of neat to be able to view your collection from any PC!
^ Sweet!, I been getting into Comics since I got my ipad. I love reading comics on it, they look amazing on the device.
Old 06-05-10, 01:56 PM
Banned

Is there any app that reads .cbz for iPad?

Last edited by dx23; 06-05-10 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-05-10, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
Is there any app that reads .cbz for iPad?
As I said above, try cloud reader, which is free. I'm open to other suggestions, I really like comic reader mobi but it's banned for a year.
Old 10-09-11, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not sure where to report this story (store forum? tech forum? another comics thread?), but I'll try resurrecting this thread:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/10/...dle-fire-deal/

Barnes & Noble Pulls Watchmen, Sandman And 100 DC Graphic Novels From Their Shelves Over Amazon Kindle Fire Deal

Submitted by Rich Johnston on October 7, 2011 – 2:13 am (68) comments

Last week, Bleeding Cool reported on DC Comics’ plans to release 100 graphic novels exclusively on the Amazon Kindle Fire.

Well now the other shoe has dropped. I understand that Barnes & Noble executives are furious over this, specifically citing DC’s reluctance to release any of their graphic novels on the Nook Color, Barnes & Noble’s own colour E-reading device.

They contacted DC to express their displeasure, but hit a brick wall. And as a result, they’ve gone for a scorched earth policy. An email sent to stores yesterday instructs them to remove all of the 100 graphic novels listed from the shelves, including Watchmen, The Dark Knight Returns, Sandman, Fables, Blackest Night, All Star Superman, Y The Last Man, V For Vendetta, all strong sellers for the company. You will still be able to order the books on the website, but in bookstores you won’t even be able to special order a copy – unless you request it delievered to your home. Copies will not be allowed to enter Barnes & Noble premises.

Staff have contacted me to say they feel the decision is a bit short-sighted and reactionary, as it not only prevents Barnes & Noble from offering product to the new DC readers brought in by the reboot coming in to check out past trades, but also with the recent closing of chief competitor Borders, it leaves no mass market bookstore selling this work.

Instead, DC will have their Barnes & Noble shelves full of the likes of Superman: Grounded… and all four trades of Countdown.
Old 10-09-11, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I read this too. I'll just say, the last time I went looking for Graphic Novels at my local B&N, the selection was small, unorganized, and much more expensive than Amazon. I didn't bother. If I'm going to pay full price, I'll go to my small LCBS.
Old 10-09-11, 01:07 PM
Banned by request

B&N are shooting themselves in the foot with that one, methinks.

Also, someone else asked in the thread for a good comic app that reads .cbz. ComicZeal is far and away the best comic book reader on the iPad. It reads pretty much anything. I can't recommend it enough.
Old 10-09-11, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the last time I regularly bought comics at Barnes & Noble was when they had the exclusive on softcover Marvel Masterworks.
Old 10-09-11, 05:09 PM
Banned by request

This is what Neil Gaiman had to say about the B&N decision:

it seems that Barnes and Nobles across the US are removing 100 DC Comics Graphic Novels from their shelves (literally removing them and sending them back to the warehouses) in response to DC's deal with Amazon.com to make these 100 Graphic Novels available as digital exclusives to the Kindle Flame.

I mentioned this on Twitter, and wound up getting a strange deluge of hate mail. Here's a polite one:

"I never thought I would have to tell you that myself, my children and several of my friends are extremely disappointed with you. I can't believe that you would let your Sandman fans down by letting DC/Warner Bros release your books on the Kindle and not all e-readers.

I was very excited when I heard that Sandman was coming out as an e-book but was heartbroken when it was announced that *I* and my kids won't have it on our readers.

Thanks."

And I wonder why on earth people assume that I, or Alan Moore, or Frank Miller, have any say at all in DC Comics's marketing decisions. Do they think that someone at DC calls us up and gets our permission before they do such deals, or that we have any ability to stop it? The first I heard about the exclusive, was hearing that Barnes and Noble staff were having to take their graphic novels off the shelves.

I think that Barnes and Noble's reasons for doing this are pretty obvious. It's to intimidate other publishers and make it clear that exclusives with Amazon will not be tolerated. But, following the death of Borders, Barnes and Noble's position as the US's sole huge bricks and mortar shop chain is something that it's very easy to abuse. I hope that this is a negotiating tactic, because otherwise it does bad things for customer choice all around, digitally and otherwise. (It's also publicised the upcoming Flame, that DC's basic graphic novels are available there, and that they are no longer in Barnes and Nobles, in a way that must make Amazon the happiest company on the block this morning.)

There's a beautiful leatherbound edition of American Gods and Anansi Boys that's only available from Barnes and Noble. I'd hate to see this considered justification by Amazon for removing those books from the Kindle.

On the good side, I hope that it means that local comic shops (http://comicshoplocator.com/ for your nearest) will stock and sell more copies of that basic 100 Graphic novel list.

If there's any more news on this, I'll post it. Otherwise, I'm just waiting, and remembering how long and how much effort it took to get the books into bookstores, and being sad that they aren't there, and knowing that it's not the fault of the people who work there and had to take them off the shelves (or explain to customers that they don't sell them any longer, but you can still order them from Barnes and Noble's website).
Old 10-10-11, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for passing on the Gaiman blog. I went to his site and he's corrected "Amazon Flame" to "Fire."

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2011/1...mn-leaves.html

But yeah, I can't imagine this being popular at the local level if these really are strong sellers. They have to lose their sales and deal with customer questions because of a corporate pissing match.

While I generally don't shop for comics at B&N, I can imagine certain situations (e.g., if I need something to read while traveling and can't find an LCS) in which it'd be nice to have the option available.
Old 10-10-11, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
I read this too. I'll just say, the last time I went looking for Graphic Novels at my local B&N, the selection was small, unorganized, and much more expensive than Amazon. I didn't bother. If I'm going to pay full price, I'll go to my small LCBS.
I've gone DCBS for my floppy fix (thank you very much DC), but I've also got quite the hard on for The Walking Dead these days. I've been buying them as fast as I can read them. I was in a Barnes and Noble the other day and almost picked up on of the trades when I realized that I was about two blocks away from my favorite LCBS. I drove there and gave them my business.
Old 10-10-11, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Kindle editions had some big discounts too, IIRC. I think Watchmen was 9.99 as opposed to the graphic novel's 19.99 price point.

If we're turning this into a "comics on tablets" thread instead, I do wonder what the lower pricepoint of the Fire will do for tablet comics. The Kindle will NOT use comixology, right? If they still get day and date release for the nu DC universe, and if the Fire reaches more first-time tablet purchasers, that would be great.
Old 10-10-11, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
The Kindle will NOT use comixology, right? If they still get day and date release for the nu DC universe, and if the Fire reaches more first-time tablet purchasers, that would be great.
I'm pretty sure that it will use comixology. Some of the promo pics for the fire contain the comixology app logo.
Old 10-10-11, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obey The D View Post
I'm pretty sure that it will use comixology. Some of the promo pics for the fire contain the comixology app logo.
At least the exclusive graphic novels are directly through the kindle ebook store (you can preorder on the kindle store now). But If the Kindle supports comixology for single issues, that's good too, at least there's portability between devices there (even though I'm still not sold on the third party themselves)
Old 10-24-11, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, bought my first few books off of comixology after a year or so of just reading freebies. There was a 2 day 99c sale on Superman/Batman, and I started with the annuals and convinced myself to get much of Loebs run and some misc. issues.

I had never actually tried the app on the ipad before, and I'm relieved that unlike the iphone version, there was at least a swipe mechanic to get between pages, and a pinch to zoom. I realize the iphone is probably a bit too small to get this to feel natural, but it's much more intuitive than poking at the borders. But as I bought these issues, which were a pretty good deal at 99c, there was a psychological barrier where I'd be comparing these purchases to apps. I bought something like 30+ issues, and I don't think I've ever spent that much at one time on the app store before... with most games coming it at 99c or free. In those terms, the comparative costs of even a 99c comic book just don't seem worth it... I can't imagine shelling out four bucks for even a new issue.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.