Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic Book Sheep 2: Crisis on Infinite Sheep

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-09, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Comic Book Sheep 2: Crisis on Infinite Sheep

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
#14: what is BPRD? If I google that but don't need to google an answer, does that count against me?
Hello? Is this thing on?
Old 08-03-09, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
It was answered but then the poster deleted it...you can still see the post though
That doesn't help me at all

Guess I'll be googling this one.
Old 08-03-09, 04:10 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Is there a rush to get in? I'm going to send my answers in, but I want to research a couple of questions - so it might not be until later on today if I do that.

I also had a question about "legacy" characters. Is having a different name required ... or is just two clearly distinct characters (but still using the same name) good enough.
Originally Posted by RKillgore
I'll go along with your judgment (you are the Sheepmaster), but I'd like a little more clarification. Is it necessary for both the original and legacy to have their own self-titled comic? Or is one or the other sufficient?
Regarding the legacy characters -- what I had in mind is that there is a hero named Captain Whatever, and he has his own comic -- called Captain Whatever, or Captain Whatever Adventures, or The Stupendous Captain Whatever, or so on -- and then he dies or retires or otherwise goes away. And then the same comic book company creates a new character, acknowledges that the new Captain Whatever is an all new character, and gives the new Captain Whatever his/her own book.

Things I would not count:
  • If there is a Captain Whatever who has his own book and a Kid Whatever who has his own book. Regardless of whether Kid Whatever is Captain Whatever when he was a kid, or a totally different character.
  • If there is a Whatever Man who has his own book and a Whatever Woman who has her own book. Those are two separate characters.
  • If one of the Captain Whatevers never had his own book -- he was a feature in an anthology, or a backup, or a supporting character, or only appeared as a member of a team.

As with all things Sheep, this is subject to debate by the players, and I am open to being persuaded. But again, what I had in mind was two distinct characters from the same company with the exact same superhero name, each of which had his own book.
Old 08-03-09, 04:14 PM
Suspended

Just for Tracer: The BPRD is the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense. It was created by Mike Mignola and appears in many of the comics he has done for the past 15 years, as well as in a certain series of movies adapted from some of those comics starring Ron Perlman and directed by Guillermo del Toro.
Old 08-03-09, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
Regarding the legacy characters -- what I had in mind is that there is a hero named Captain Whatever, and he has his own comic -- called Captain Whatever, or Captain Whatever Adventures, or The Stupendous Captain Whatever, or so on -- and then he dies or retires or otherwise goes away. And then the same comic book company creates a new character, acknowledges that the new Captain Whatever is an all new character, and gives the new Captain Whatever his/her own book.

• If there is a Captain Whatever who has his own book and a Kid Whatever who has his own book. Regardless of whether Kid Whatever is Captain Whatever when he was a kid, or a totally different character.
  • If there is a Whatever Man who has his own book and a Whatever Woman who has her own book. Those are two separate characters.
  • If one of the Captain Whatevers never had his own book -- he was a feature in an anthology, or a backup, or a supporting character, or only appeared as a member of a team.

As with all things Sheep, this is subject to debate by the players, and I am open to being persuaded. But again, what I had in mind was two distinct characters from the same company with the exact same superhero name, each of which had his own book.
Well, this is a Reverse Sheep question ... where you get penalized for being "wrong", right? But your answer helps The one that I had in mind should qualify.

I'll be sending in my answers. I used googles liberally. Even though I could come up with an answer for everything, the cost of a bad answer seemed to outweigh the penalty.
Old 08-03-09, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Answers are submitted. Didn't use Google, should have though, there's a few I have no idea on, so I guessed.
Old 08-03-09, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Submitted revised answer.

Last edited by RKillgore; 08-04-09 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-03-09, 10:49 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Once I submit my answers, can I re-PM you and make changes?
Old 08-04-09, 12:20 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Trevor
Once I submit my answers, can I re-PM you and make changes?
Sure. I'll take changes any time up until the closing.

However, if people start to abuse the right to make changes, I reserve the right to change my mind.
Old 08-04-09, 12:22 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RKillgore
DISCUSSION OF DR. FATE REMOVED
Without getting into specifics (some people are still submitting answers, you know!), don't be confident that you've identified all of the series that starred Dr. Fate and all of the versions of the character. But were their versions you missed that match up with "Dr. Fate" titled serieses that you missed? That is the question for those considering their answers.
Old 08-04-09, 12:24 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Sure. I'll take changes any time up until the closing.

However, if people start to abuse the right to make changes, I reserve the right to change my mind.
I'm just thinking of putting in my answers quickly now, in case I forget. But then possibly making one change if I make the time to really put on my thinking cap before the closing.

PM enroute in 5 minutes, work willing.
Old 08-04-09, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Sent you my answers. If I come in anything but last, this is a victory.

Hat-eating may ensue in the Maus question.
Old 08-04-09, 05:18 PM

Sent my answers. Glad I didn't miss it this time. Like The Bus said if I don't finish dead last I'll be happy.
Old 08-04-09, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

If you'll take it, I sent in a revision. A much sheepier answer came to mind - which probably means my original answer will end up being the sheepiest
Old 08-04-09, 09:14 PM
Suspended

Revision accepted, brainee.
Old 08-05-09, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

When is this running?
Old 08-05-09, 05:28 PM
Suspended

I'm not sure. I said I'd take submissions through Friday. Then I need time to organize the responses. Also, I've only had a chance to pull pics for the first five questions. Best case scenario, we start rolling the results Monday, but it might be later in the week.
Old 08-06-09, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You people pull pics before you start the game?
Old 08-06-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I still do it right before each question.
Old 08-06-09, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I just did quick Google image searches. Although someone kept saying I was slow
Old 08-06-09, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Sent mine, plenty of Googling to be had.
Old 08-06-09, 01:08 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
You people pull pics before you start the game?
I pull all the pics I think I'll need and load them into my photobucket account so they are all in one place and organized.
Old 08-06-09, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I pull all the pics I think I'll need and load them into my photobucket account so they are all in one place and organized.

Wow.
Old 08-06-09, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,976 Likes on 1,528 Posts

For this question:
Which character who has never been adapted to a live action TV show or movie should be?

if one is planned but not out yet, does that count? What about guest appearances where the character is not the main character of the movie/tv show?
Old 08-06-09, 04:37 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by fujishig
For this question:
Which character who has never been adapted to a live action TV show or movie should be?

if one is planned but not out yet, does that count? What about guest appearances where the character is not the main character of the movie/tv show?
I'm not going to mark it wrong unless it's someone who has been the title character in a movie or live-action TV series. But it is a sheep question, so if you think the fact that Captain Whatever appeared in one episode of Smallville will make people shy away from giving him as an answer, it's your call.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.