Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What happened to Wizard: The Guide to Comics?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What happened to Wizard: The Guide to Comics?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-11, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: What happened to Wizard: The Guide to Comics?

I just got the latest issue in the mail last night and as i was flipping thru it I was wondering..... hmmm 7 more issues before I let it expire.
Old 01-24-11, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The article says ToyFair is shutting down as well. Dammit.
Old 01-24-11, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DarthVong
The article says ToyFair is shutting down as well. Dammit.

Exactly.
Just got my new issue today.
Old 01-24-11, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I really have nothing to add here, other than to say that I still think a periodical featuring interviews with industry talent and thoughtful criticism of comic stories past and present can still be a viable publication. A thinly veiled product catalog, however, is easily replaced by browsing websites.
Old 01-25-11, 04:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I really have nothing to add here, other than to say that I still think a periodical featuring interviews with industry talent and thoughtful criticism of comic stories past and present can still be a viable publication. A thinly veiled product catalog, however, is easily replaced by browsing websites.

If the Comics Journal may be just what your looking for. I have no idea if they are web only but the magazine did excellent intrerviews and OP-EDs on the state of the industry back in the day.
Old 01-25-11, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Granted I haven't read CBR or Newsarama much recently because, as a trade-waiter, I don't want to happen on any spoilers, but don't those sites have in depth interviews? For criticisms of comic stories past and present, we have lots of message boards, though you have to search through the crud.
Old 01-25-11, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

I was a subscriber after the first issue all the way through the 90s, even after I had stopped regularly reading comics. I eventually gave up on it in the early parts of the 2000s, as the coverage seemed much more geared to everything but comics, like movies and toys.

The print business is dying completely and almost all niche publications will go bankrupt or strictly become websites in the next couple of years. I would hate to be someone working in the magazine business, as the writing is on the wall. The end is very near...
Old 01-26-11, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

I agree with the general consensus here. Used to be a subscriber, let it lapse, feeling sorry for the staff, but not seeing a future for print media.
Old 01-26-11, 04:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The print business is dying completely and almost all niche publications will go bankrupt or strictly become websites in the next couple of years. I would hate to be someone working in the magazine business, as the writing is on the wall. The end is very near...
As someone who works in the newspaper/magazine business, I can confirm that they're throwing everything they can (which is usually just the same old ideas with a fresh coat of paint) at the wall to see what sticks.

We're in the unenviable position of trying to convince people that what we produce is just as much a necessity for them today as it was 5 or 10 years ago, and they should pay us more for it.

And really, it's not.
Old 01-26-11, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So now how am I supposed to keep up on what's happening with Wolverine and how hot Megan Fox is?!
Old 01-27-11, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superfro
So now how am I supposed to keep up on what's happening with Wolverine and how hot Megan Fox is?!

www.newsarama.com

www.wwtdd.com (NSFW - but it's pretty R rated at worst)
Old 01-27-11, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by madcougar
www.newsarama.com

www.wwtdd.com (NSFW - but it's pretty R rated at worst)
Thank you!! Any heads up on how to know how much my CGC graded collection of books I can't read or look at is?! I have to know!
Old 01-27-11, 03:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig
Granted I haven't read CBR or Newsarama much recently because, as a trade-waiter, I don't want to happen on any spoilers, but don't those sites have in depth interviews? For criticisms of comic stories past and present, we have lots of message boards, though you have to search through the crud.
No, their interviews are anything but indepth. For that kind of thing you should look at Comics Jorunal, as I said in my previous post.
Old 02-07-11, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by superfro
Thank you!! Any heads up on how to know how much my CGC graded collection of books I can't read or look at is?! I have to know!
EBay under completed auctions.

No joke. Friend of mine that owns a store checks EBay completed auctions to find the going rate to price shit.
Old 05-14-11, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I've checked out a couple of the digital "issues" of Wizard and oh, my God does it suck. Not one interesting article on any topic to be found. It's essentially just a glorified fan tribute to merchandise, pimping their own conventions. How bad is it? It's free and I don't even want it.