Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

June/July/August General Comic Discussion (Summer Fun Edition)

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

June/July/August General Comic Discussion (Summer Fun Edition)

Old 08-11-09, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts
Re: June/July/August General Comic Discussion (Summer Fun Edition)

Originally Posted by fujishig
That last one is ridiculous... issue 10 may be oversized (it contained two stories), but 4 issues retailing for 20 bucks is too much. I'm also a little miffed that at the same time they're releasing the newer Runaways HCs, they are also re-releasing the original series, and already twice I've ordered the originals by mistake.
That's almost floppy price
Old 08-11-09, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by davidh777
Am now onto #3. Crushing on Atom Eve....
Interruping the sheep game to mention I'm onto Invincible #4. After this, I'll have to wait to catch up
Old 08-12-09, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

5 comes out soon... I think end of next month. After that, it's at least a year...

As far as the Marvel trade pricing... I guess I'll drop some series, just like some here have dropped the floppies recently. Runaways hasn't really been great since way back when Vaughn left, anyway. At the very least, I can wait a month or two for the non-hc to come out.
Old 08-12-09, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got caught up on a couple of books last night.

Madame Xanadue which is officially the most underrated Vertigo title being published, b/c I see no talk of it anywhere, even on comic book sites. The art is amazing & a love a good fantasy series of which there are very few nowadays.

Old Man Logan, just read this story, wish I waited for the upcoming Hardcover in the new previews, but I'm not a huge Wolverine fan, & I just read the last 20 issues of the series. This was such a fun "what-if/future" story, I just loved seeing what Millar did with every Marvel character as they popped up throughout the series & the idea that
Spoiler:
Wolverine gave up violence b/c he killed all the X-men by accident
was awesome. The best Wolverine story by far since Darwyn Cooke's Wolvie/Doop one-shot.
Old 08-12-09, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I just loved [...] the idea that
Spoiler:
Wolverine gave up violence b/c he killed all the X-men by accident
was awesome.
Which I call shenanigans on since Wolverine is
Spoiler:
supposed to have super-heightened senses, or good enough to be able to detect who's who, even with his eyes closed
[/comic-nerd talk]
Old 08-12-09, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Which I call shenanigans on since Wolverine is
Spoiler:
supposed to have super-heightened senses, or good enough to be able to detect who's who, even with his eyes closed
[/comic-nerd talk]
[continues comic nerd talk] There have been several times where villains have tried masking themselves as innocents or friends & Wolvie detected them but this one
Spoiler:
it was all mental, his mind was messed with so in his own brain he couldn't tell the difference
. Like I said, I've never really been a Wolverine fan, one of the most boring characters in comics, so I'm not expected many good Wolvie stories, I just thought this one was a lot of fun.
Old 08-12-09, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Yeah, I enjoyed it as a fun "future of the Marvel universe" storyline. I wish the final issue would come out already!
Old 08-12-09, 10:04 PM
Banned

Today was Marvel's 70th Anniversary. I picked up the Marvel Comics #1 reprint they released for the occasion and found it pretty neat.
Old 08-13-09, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

5 comes out soon... I think end of next month. After that, it's at least a year...

Though from the talk here, maybe I'll be unhooked by then
Old 08-13-09, 09:20 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
Today was Marvel's 70th Anniversary. I picked up the Marvel Comics #1 reprint they released for the occasion and found it pretty neat.
What was the deal with that? It was clearly the original scripts and layouts, but I couldn't tell what was going on with the art. Was it simply recolored? Re-inked? Completely new pencils? Does anyone know?
Old 08-13-09, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone pick up the new adventure comics with superboy?
Did the last page of the Legion back-up story confuse anyone?

I haven't read the FC: Legion mini yet, I'm waiting on it to come, so maybe something in that would have helped but...
Old 08-13-09, 05:58 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
Anyone pick up the new adventure comics with superboy?
Did the last page of the Legion back-up story confuse anyone?

I haven't read the FC: Legion mini yet, I'm waiting on it to come, so maybe something in that would have helped but...
I think it was just a flash forward to scenes that will appear in the book over the coming issues. Although, at 8 pages a month or whatever, it seems like it will be quite some time before we see them all.

I will say that Legion of 3 Worlds was probably my favorite Legion story in over a decade, and one of my top five of all time, so I have high hopes for where he'll take the team.
Old 08-13-09, 08:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JasonF
What was the deal with that? It was clearly the original scripts and layouts, but I couldn't tell what was going on with the art. Was it simply recolored? Re-inked? Completely new pencils? Does anyone know?
I think it was just recolored. It is actually the first time I read the comic. I've seen the cover thousands of time, but was never able to get a reprint and read the comic.
Old 08-14-09, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
I've read all the Scott Pilgrim that's out. This is probably my favorite comic. In fact, it's the only one I started re-reading almost as soon as I finished the last one.
Between this post of yours and seeing the 8,000th nod to it on Chris' Invincible Super-Blog and Comics Should Be Good, I finally picked up the first volume of 'Scott Pilgrim' not even two weeks ago, and since then, I've already picked up the other four and have lent the first book to a friend of mine. I've even bought three t-shirts off Oni's website!

There have only been a couple of times when I've fallen this hard, this quickly for anything. It's like when I watched the second season of The Venture Bros. that first time: it's exactly what I wish I could make if I had any talent at all, and it feels so intensely tied to my sense of humor, my sensibilites, etc., etc., etc. that it just feels like it was made expressly for me and no one else. I mean, my dream instrument is a Rickenbacker bass, and what does Scott play...? There's a nondescript Moog in volume 2, and I have two of those synths. "Clash at Demonhead" was one of my favorite NES games, I remember having long conversations with a friend of mine about "Kid Chameleon"... There are those sorts of nerdgasms, sure, but I'm really drawn into the characters too and how complex and realistic their relationships are. I could seriously write a thoughtful essay about it if I were bored enough.

I've been reading comics for closing in one 30 years now, so I'm hesitant to say that Scott Pilgrim is my favorite book I've ever read in case it's honeymoon hyperbole , but...I'm really, really tempted.
Old 08-14-09, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Great... I just ordered Asterios Polyp and Parker the Hunter because of this forum, and now I have to go seek out Scott Pilgrim...
Old 08-14-09, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's great to see the Scott Pilgrim love. I was skeptical, but that book really is just a bucket of love. It's so quirky and random and fun, you just can't help but come away from it feeling good. I've only read the first 2 volumes (I own 3 and 4, I just need to get on it).

Adam, I know that feeling about falling hard for something. It's so great. The last thing that did that for me was Avatar: The Last Airbender -- talk about perfection.
Old 08-14-09, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
The last thing that did that for me was Avatar: The Last Airbender -- talk about perfection.

I was pluggin' Scott Pilgrim since the comic book forum began, glad to see people getting on board, I know a ton more will when the movie comes out.

So glad people are checking out Parker & especially Asterios, it warms my geeky heart.
Old 08-14-09, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sessa17

I was pluggin' Scott Pilgrim since the comic book forum began, glad to see people getting on board, I know a ton more will when the movie comes out.

So glad people are checking out Parker & especially Asterios, it warms my geeky heart.
Amazon is in on it... Asterios showed up in my goldbox a few days ago, and I remembered you guys talking about it, so I bought it, and then a couple days later Parker was in my gold box as well. In fact, if you search for Asterios on amazon, they are the first two entries.
Old 08-23-09, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Interruping the sheep game to mention I'm onto Invincible #4. After this, I'll have to wait to catch up

Though from the talk here, maybe I'll be unhooked by then
Finished volume 4 and still enjoying the series. Need to order #5.

Spoiler:
NOOO, you had Atom Eve in the palm of your hand--why toss her out like that? Do not get it on with your brother's tutor!

Dupli-Kate and Multi-Paul
Old 08-23-09, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just read 11 straight issues of Tiny Titans.

It ruled.
Old 08-24-09, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've only read 1 issues so far, but it is an adorable book. The artist on that book, Art Balthazar (not sure on that spelling), is a great guy too. I would suggest you go listen to the two episodes he did on the Around Comics podcast (they were so good, I listened to them twice). He comes across as one of those guys you just want to see succeed in every possible way. He's really funny, and has a good story with how he found success in comics. He's definitely one of the "good guys".