Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Star Trek: Countdown TPB

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-09, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Star Trek: Countdown TPB

It's been literally years since I last bought a Star Trek comic book, but I heard good things about Countdown. What I liked about it was that it is a prequel, but focuses on the post-Nemesis 24th Century. We see several of the TNG crew.

I won't go to into it so as not to spoil things, but what I got most out of this was the sense that screenwriters Robert Orci & Alex Kurtzman (whose work on Mission: Impossible III did not impress me as particularly original) are trying to anchor the new movie in established Trek lore. They've been very cryptic, insisting that it's not a reboot, but they have never actually said how this "early days of Kirk & Spock" story connects with the rest of the canon. I'm actually disappointed to think of how little of this part of the story will likely appear in the movie itself.

At $17.99, I think it's still overpriced (though not as much as the $15.00, 288-page tie-in novel). As a comic book story, I think it works pretty well, and as a prequel to the forthcoming movie it has actually allayed some of my fears.
Old 04-29-09, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Countdown TPB

If you have an iPhone you can get each issue for 99 cents at the app store.
Old 04-29-09, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw that on iTunes, but I have an iPod Classic that won't play apps.
Old 04-30-09, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Damn it! You got me curious about this so I just ordered it from Amazon for 12 and change.
Old 04-30-09, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ytrez
Damn it! You got me curious about this so I just ordered it from Amazon for 12 and change.
There are certain plot points that invite questions and nitpicks, but on the balance I think it's a worthy catch-up with the TNG characters. There is much about the 24th Century where we left off that I find very curious. I mean, at the end of Nemesis, the Romulans were in turmoil; DS9 ended with the conclusion of the Dominion War that made a wreck of nearly everyone else and the Borg were in shambles when last we saw them in Voyager. Maybe it's the historian in me, but I find that landscape terribly exciting.

I continue to hope for some more on-screen tales of that era, which is why I was so disappointed to learn that this new project concentrates on the early days of Kirk & Spock. Countdown offers a glimpse into the era that I find so attractive. Let me know your thoughts when your copy arrives!
Old 05-02-09, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Amazon has it for Kindle--I thought Kindle was not so good for graphic stuff?

Old 05-03-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777
Amazon has it for Kindle--I thought Kindle was not so good for graphic stuff?
I suppose if they expect you to "read" it on an iPhone, they may as well make it for the Kindle, too. I have neither products, so I can't speak to how graphic novels would translate to them.
Old 05-08-09, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read this last night...wanted to read it before going to see the movie today. I have never read a Star Trek comic before, and would only claim to be a minor Trek person, but I thought this TPB was complete engrossing. Good story and I think it will add to my appreciation of the new film.
Old 05-08-09, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Vendetta-AKK
Read this last night...wanted to read it before going to see the movie today. I have never read a Star Trek comic before, and would only claim to be a minor Trek person, but I thought this TPB was complete engrossing. Good story and I think it will add to my appreciation of the new film.
I was glad I did read it, because the movie begins literally the moment after the comic ended. The gist of Countdown is explained throughout the movie (mostly in one scene, but elaborated on in some other dialog), but I still found it helped shape my enjoyment of the movie. I would love an original timeline sequel; something that picks up after Countdown in the 24th Century.
Old 05-08-09, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm definitely happy I read this before the movie. It greatly enhanced it for me! I'm just a little sad you didn't get a glimpse of Geordi in Prime Spock's mindmeld.
Old 05-08-09, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You do! He's standing to the left of the Jellyfish in the hangar.

Spoiler:
Just messin' with ya.
Old 05-08-09, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey, two of the four people I went to the movie with somehow missed
Spoiler:
the tribble with Scotty. Don't mind the fact it was cooing the whole time over the dialogue.
Old 05-08-09, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by reverie
Hey, two of the four people I went to the movie with somehow missed
Spoiler:
the tribble with Scotty. Don't mind the fact it was cooing the whole time over the dialogue.
That's really less of a Countdown observation and more about the movie proper. But, since you brought it up, I loved Ben Burtt's sound effects. From the warp drive engines to the communicator, most of the effects were vintage-sounding. (The phaser sounded entirely different, though.)
Old 05-11-09, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ack! I've found myself in a heated debate with David Mack on the startrek.com message boards concerning Countdown's status vis-a-vis canon that has erupted into something far more vicious. No one else on that board has seen fit to really comment, but I trust my fellow DVD Talk members to see things objectively. Am I arrogant and offensive here, or is Mack just way over-reacting?

http://boards.startrek.com/community...#entry37971993
Old 05-11-09, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Ack! I've found myself in a heated debate with David Mack on the startrek.com message boards concerning Countdown's status vis-a-vis canon that has erupted into something far more vicious. No one else on that board has seen fit to really comment, but I trust my fellow DVD Talk members to see things objectively. Am I arrogant and offensive here, or is Mack just way over-reacting?

http://boards.startrek.com/community...#entry37971993
Wow! That was really entertaining. My take on the arguement. I think you made some broad comments on how you preceive the star trek universe being handled by some of its creative artist, such as "it's this attitude toward fans that has alienated so many of us over the years" and fans "opinion isn't good enough to be discussed" and "the franchise has been regarded almost exclusively in monetary terms for so long, I can understand that its participants have forgotten its existence as a collaborative work of art".

He obviously took these statements very personally, even if that wasn't your intent. It is his job afterall, and he might well be friendly and respect many of the other people who work within the Star Trek Universe.

I think he overreacted a bit as well, though, but this sort of thing happens all the time on message boards, it is the nature of the beast. And hey, it is entertaining.
Old 05-11-09, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Vendetta-AKK
Wow! That was really entertaining. My take on the arguement. I think you made some broad comments on how you preceive the star trek universe being handled by some of its creative artist, such as "it's this attitude toward fans that has alienated so many of us over the years" and fans "opinion isn't good enough to be discussed" and "the franchise has been regarded almost exclusively in monetary terms for so long, I can understand that its participants have forgotten its existence as a collaborative work of art".

He obviously took these statements very personally, even if that wasn't your intent. It is his job afterall, and he might well be friendly and respect many of the other people who work within the Star Trek Universe.

I think he overreacted a bit as well, though, but this sort of thing happens all the time on message boards, it is the nature of the beast. And hey, it is entertaining.
At least you didn't agree that he should be a Klingon and cut me in half. THAT, I can tell you, was a weird post to read.
Old 10-28-09, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I recently read it
while it explains some things, and shows us that
Spoiler:
Data is back
Nero's hate of Spock is even less clear than the movie without the back story. He knew Spock was doing all he could and that the Romulan government was to blame for the delay