Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

"Transmetropolitan" - How's the second half of this series?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 03-25-09, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Hey guys,

I haven't been collecting comics regularly during the past few years...and when I do, it's typically in trade paperback form. I got into Transmetropolitan shortly after the first TPB was released, and collected through the first six ("Gouge Away" was the last one I read). Anyway, after selling some old books at the local store, I've acquired some store credit...and since I never finished the series (which included 10 volumes, I believe), I figured I might get into it again.

Anyway, your opinions on the series post-"Gouge"? Does it end well?

Also, any similar series that you guys might recommend? I also really loved Preacher (who didn't?), so anything in that vein would work.
Old 03-25-09, 09:08 PM

Re: "Transmetropolitan" - How's the second half of this series?

Spider Jerusalem is my favorite comic character of all time. He's sooooo the man! This is full of heart, although it's presented with a rough exterior. I don't want to give away too much in terms of how it ends, but there is a satisfying conclusion. I'll leave it at that.

Warren Ellis material tends to meander into this territory. Most of his work is worth checking out. Also, Grant Morrison's work may be something you'd enjoy. Look at We3 and Invisibles. Oh! I'd also strongly recommend Mark Millar's Chosen.
Old 03-25-09, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the second half was a bit more uneven than the first half, but it's still good and has a very satisfying ending IMO. Great series overall and yeah, Spider is a fantastic character. I'd like to hear other recommendations as well.
Old 03-26-09, 03:32 AM

Now I have to read this.
Old 03-26-09, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I loved the first half, but even though I read the series to it's conclusion, I really lost interest during it's meandering second half - I don't even recall how the series ended. I think Ellis let the story and characters get away from him in the second half, and instead, concentrated more on social issues and his own personal flights of fancy, which are all well and good, but not at the expense of your story and characters.
Old 04-14-09, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I read Transmet all the way through and loved it, as I did Preacher. I'd recommend Hitman (Ennis, McCrea) as well, though that has never been fully collected in TPB.