Reload this Page >

The one and only Y: The Last Man thread

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 11-22-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to preface by saying that this has been one of my favorite series in the past 10 years of reading comics. It's always anxiously been awaited, always on top of my monthly stack of comics, and it's never disappointed. I even loved the "comedy and tragedy" storyarc that most fans repulsed.

I felt like the idea that there were so many possible explanations for the plague was brilliant. I think it's too easy when a comic gives easy answers.

What are your thoughts of this series? what moments did you really treasure? did you feel disappointed by unanswered questions or the explanation given for the plague?

I also think I figured out 355's real name.

Spoiler:
For some stupid reason, everyone thinks it's Peace.

It's Venus.

She's making a letter "V" with her fingers on the cover of issue 58.

In the same issue, we learn that Yorick's revelation during his suicide intervention with Agent 711 was an image of 355 in a pose similar to Aphrodite. Aphrodite the Greek name for the Roman goddess Venus.

In the last panel of issue 58, she resembles the statue Venus de Milo.

In issue 36, where we see a flashback of Beth and Yorick, they share a joke about the Arc de Tromph being the opposite of phallic, and how it resembles the vajayjay. Later, this is where he meets Beth in France. Venus is the symbol for the female sex.

In the myth "Judgement of Paris", it is Aphrodite that triggers the Trojan War by bribing Paris with the most beautiful woman in the world. This woman is none other than Helen of Troy. In the first issue, it is 355 that is charged with retrieving the Amulent of Helene from Jordan, and warned that a disaster worse than the Trojan War will ensue if it is ever removed from Jordan.

So... what do you think?
Old 11-22-08, 04:07 PM

I'm on the 7th trade. One of my favorite pieces of literature, and one of the first names I throw out when people try to put down comics.

And Comedy and Tragedy was a great little sidestep. If it had been a full arc I would have hated it, but a little diversion is A-OK.

I'm looking forward to the movie, and I'm glad that they're not trying to tackle it all in one film (I think each one will be like 15 issues worth or at least the first one will).
Old 11-22-08, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't read this yet, but am looking forward to my blind buy of the collected Hardcover I ordered from DCBS waiting for me when I return to the US. I'm sure I'll get to read it sometime around 2012 . . .
Old 11-24-08, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Saw the hardcover today at Borders.

Really a nice job. Great design, good paper stock, some characters sketches and stuff in the back.

I'll probably start picking these up.
Old 11-24-08, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
Yes, a wonderful series - one of the best comics of all time, and I say this in spite of not liking the art in the book at all.
Old 11-25-08, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have the same sentiments about Preacher.
Old 12-01-08, 01:55 PM

I just started this over the weekend and devoured the first trade and am on my way through the second. Excellent so far. Can't wait to read more.

Brian K. Vaughan is just outstanding.
Old 12-02-08, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the first trade was really weak, but after finishing the series, it amazed me at how much the characters had grown. That's something I can't really say about Preacher.
Old 12-06-08, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I wasn't very happy with the ending, but I still want to re-read the whole thing, cover to cover. Definitely one of the best series I've ever read.
Old 12-16-08, 08:30 PM

Volume 2 is solicited for March.

Y: THE LAST MAN – THE DELUXE EDITION VOL. 2 HC
Written by Brian K. Vaughan
Art by Pia Guerra, Paul Chadwick, Gorlan Parlov
and Jose Marzan, Jr.
Cover by Massimo Carnevale
DC Comics presents the second hardcover volumes collecting Y: THE LAST MAN in oversized, hardcover editions.
In this volume, collecting issues #11-23 of the award-winning series, a Russian spacecraft from the International Space Station returns to Earth carrying three passengers: one woman and two men. Could this be the end of Yorick's status as the last living male? Plus, the group runs up against a roadblock in Arizona where the female remains of the Sons of Arizona militia have cut the interstate to keep out any vestiges of the U.S. government. Don’t miss the latest volume in the series Entertainment Weekly calls “a seriously funny, nuanced tale.”
Advance-solicited; on sale May 6 • 320 pg, FC, 7.0625” x 10.875”, $29.99 US • MATURE READERS
I haven't read Vol 1 (still I am certain I will REALLY enjoy this) yet since I am still in China so I may hold off on ordering this since it's an expensive month with the Marvel Omnibuses.
Old 12-28-08, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts
I tend to like older series but this is one of the newer things that I really like. Still need to pick up trade #10--maybe I'm unconsciously delaying it so it won't be over.
Old 12-29-08, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Saw the YTL Vol 1 hardcover in a store the other day.

It was actually a pretty decent effort from DC. Nice paper stock -- it's not glossy, but it's reasonably thick and white, unlike the usual paper they use for their paperbacks. I'll probably have to start picking these up.

Curious to see what Moore's Swamp Thing HCs look like. And I've read that they're going to be doing Preacher HCs in the near future.
Old 12-29-08, 12:31 AM

I haven't seen it yet, but the Masterworks messageboard has said Camelot 3000 was a pretty poor effort. I've only read the first issue of Preacher when it came out. Liked it but didn't continue collecting it. I'd buy the HCs.
Old 12-29-08, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Im holding out hope for an omnibus (or 2-3) on this... But I will probably just break down since this is something that probably isnt going to happen, and if it does, it will be quite a while.
Old 01-02-09, 10:10 PM
Banned

I picked up the Hardcover Vol 1 collection and now I'm hooked. I can't wait for Vol 2 to arrive in March.

To me this would make a great HBO series, but it seems that the idiots at Hollywood plan to make it a movie with Shia Lebouf as Yodrick.
New Line had the rights, but now they are out with the merge of WB. I hope this stays in limbo. The only way this series can be told and be good is on a TV series.
Old 01-26-09, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: The one and only Y: The Last Man thread

Thanks to this thread, I too have started reading this series. I'm on the 2nd TPB right now, this is great stuff!
I do hope a movie gets made, but not with Shia Fucking Lebouf.
Old 01-26-09, 12:27 PM
Banned

The right guy would be Joseph Gordon Levitt.
Old 01-27-09, 09:48 AM

I'm home and it's sitting here looking at me screaming read me . . . I have so much to go through. It could be weeks.
Old 01-27-09, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you are waiting for the HC's to come out then I would just wait anyways. I know there is no way I could read the first 2 volumes and then wait months for the next one to be released.
Old 01-28-09, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dx23
The right guy would be Joseph Gordon Levitt.
perfect! his performances in brick and (500) days of summer were both very well done.
Old 03-24-09, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just finished reading the last TBP, and I have to say this series lived up to the hype. Good thing for this thread because without it, this series likely would have never landed on my radar.
The only minor complaint (and it is merely a nitpick) I would have is the cursing. Now I am by no means offended by cursing but it was needlessly excessive in these books. It's like they had a quota to make so they would crowbar F bombs in there every other page and it just seemed really forced most of the time.
My favorite thing of the whole series was Natalya. Her broken english was just so hilarious. "We bust our assholes looking for Yorick"
Old 03-24-09, 07:12 PM

I went ahead and read the 1st HC. Enjoyed it quite a bit.
Old 03-24-09, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I liked how the BKV connection got Y some face time on Lost.
Old 03-25-09, 01:21 AM

There were also some good facetime in Chuck (a new poster on Chuck's wall, a copy of the volume 1 hardcover and at the end of the most recent eppy - Chuck was reading another BKV masterpiece - Ex Machina).
Old 03-26-09, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mhepburn20
There were also some good facetime in Chuck (a new poster on Chuck's wall, a copy of the volume 1 hardcover and at the end of the most recent eppy - Chuck was reading another BKV masterpiece - Ex Machina).
And I wonder why I love that show! (Actually, I don't wonder.)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.