Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

The June/July/August Hot Summer Fun General Comic Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 643 Likes on 372 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Apparently I'm wrong. Allow me to respecifize myself: I had no memory of Animal Man.
Old 08-25-08, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
* I hear good things about We3, but I'm scared to read it because I get weepy when bad things happen to animals, even fictional cartoon animals.
As I was reading your post I was already thinking -- what about We3? It can be a rough read, but it's definitely worth it. Especially since he and Quietly make such a great team. I'm curious, have you read Pride of Baghdad?

Originally Posted by Bronkster
On other comics - X-Factor finished the 3-part crossover with She-Hulk which was a Secret Invasion tie-in. So far, I'm liking the whole Skrull thing (for the titles I regularly get) and this worked well, although I don't care for when different artists with vastly different styles are used in a 3-part story.

Also out - X-Factor 1-shot getting back (or forward?) to Layla Miller and how she's coping 80 years from now.
X-Factor broke my heart. I LOVED that book for the first 20-sum issues, but then it got pulled into Messiah Complex and I jumped off. I had every intention of jumping back on, but you know how when you leave something sometimes and you lose the drive to go back to it? That is exactly what happened to me with this book. I'm usually fine with events, but this is one of those instances where Marvel's attempt to grab new readers backfired, at least in my case. Also, I saw some art from a recent issue that didn't look good at all.
Old 08-25-08, 05:36 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I've never heard of Animal Man

Morrison had a 26-issue run in the late 80s and early 90s that have been reprinted in three trades (pictured above). I am not exagerating when I say that reading this 26-issue run will change the way you look at comics. As I hope my previous post made clear, I am not particularly a fan of Grant Morrison. I thought his Seven Soldiers and (so far) his Final Crisis were incomprehensible, his JLA pedestrian, and even his All-Star Superman is merely good but not great. Animal Man, though, is one of the best comics ever published. Do yourself a favor and get your hands on it as soon as you can.
Old 08-25-08, 05:39 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly
As I was reading your post I was already thinking -- what about We3? It can be a rough read, but it's definitely worth it. Especially since he and Quietly make such a great team. I'm curious, have you read Pride of Baghdad?
I liked Pride of Baghdad, and it didn't really upset me too much, so maybe I'm tougher than I think I am. On the other hand, lions are a little more remote and unreal to me than dogs and cats and rabbits. Lions live in the zoo or far off Africa; I've had dogs and cats and rabbits living in my house.

But one of these days, I will have to man-up and read We3.
Old 08-25-08, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
Morrison had a 26-issue run in the late 80s and early 90s that have been reprinted in three trades (pictured above). I am not exagerating when I say that reading this 26-issue run will change the way you look at comics...Animal Man, though, is one of the best comics ever published. Do yourself a favor and get your hands on it as soon as you can.
A-fuckin'-men. Though, I do have to admit to also liking Doom Patrol.

On other comics - X-Factor finished the 3-part crossover with She-Hulk which was a Secret Invasion tie-in. So far, I'm liking the whole Skrull thing (for the titles I regularly get) and this worked well, although I don't care for when different artists with vastly different styles are used in a 3-part story.

Also out - X-Factor 1-shot getting back (or forward?) to Layla Miller and how she's coping 80 years from now.
Originally Posted by boredsilly
X-Factor broke my heart. I LOVED that book for the first 20-sum issues, but then it got pulled into Messiah Complex and I jumped off. I had every intention of jumping back on, but you know how when you leave something sometimes and you lose the drive to go back to it? That is exactly what happened to me with this book. I'm usually fine with events, but this is one of those instances where Marvel's attempt to grab new readers backfired, at least in my case. Also, I saw some art from a recent issue that didn't look good at all.
Yeah, I really hate when they force books into crossing over. Didn't mind the Messiah Complex thing that much - reading it all in one sitting probably helped (though I skipped the New X-Men issues, so that left a gaping hole...particularly regarding Caliban). Didn't care much for these Secret Invasion issues. It probably could've been told in one issue, instead of three.
Old 08-26-08, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,187 Posts
I think I'm finally hitting a point of Crisis Tie-In/Mini Meltdown with all of DC's various book.
Old 08-26-08, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I never finished Animal Man. I got about 10 issues in and lost interest.

Since it's such a short run, I will probably tackle it again.
Old 08-26-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 643 Likes on 372 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I think I'm finally hitting a point of Crisis Tie-In/Mini Meltdown with all of DC's various book.
I hung through with 52 and Countdown (and immediately forgot Animal Man was in there) and am getting only the main Final Crisis series - although I see all the tie-in books at the store. I'm tired of all these big "nothing will be the same" themes. I'd much rather have stuff like the current Action Comics storyline ..
Old 08-26-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,123 Likes on 1,634 Posts
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
After about 25 years of reading Avengers (not continuously of course; I'm not crazy enough to have suffered through the mid 90's sludge), Bendis was what finally drove me to drop the title completely. Forcing myself through Disassembled and the initial "breakout" run must have simply broken my spirit. It was like trying to read an issue of Brigade or Bloodstrike.
I agree that Disassembled was just terrible. While the Buseik/Perez run did seem to be running out of steam (honestly, while it probably reads better in trade, I grew tired during the Ultron story that seemed to last far too long), I was never that excited about the Bendis issues. But Disassembled just took the Avengers and destroyed them (which I guess was the point). I hate it just as much as Graduation Day, which turned Young Justice into Teen Titans and the new (now old) Outsiders. Killing off long-standing characters for nothing, then having them come back much later anyway. Ugh.

Read the concluding Annihilation: Conquest trade, which was pretty much a glorified setup for the new Guardians of the Galaxy. I thought it was ok, though the back cover ruined the "surprise" and they needed to make it just a little bigger, since it didn't include a few issues of Nova that were pretty essential to the story (but they did include issues of Nova that had already been collected in the Nova tpb).

My X-factor collection is only up to the Messiah Complex issues so far, though I've preordered the next trade or two. The art's always been iffy (why can't they just get a regular artist for this book already?), but I'm hoping it doesn't go too far downhill.
Old 08-26-08, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
I agree that Disassembled was just terrible. While the Buseik/Perez run did seem to be running out of steam (honestly, while it probably reads better in trade, I grew tired during the Ultron story that seemed to last far too long), I was never that excited about the Bendis issues. But Disassembled just took the Avengers and destroyed them (which I guess was the point). I hate it just as much as Graduation Day, which turned Young Justice into Teen Titans and the new (now old) Outsiders. Killing off long-standing characters for nothing, then having them come back much later anyway. Ugh.
I can't argue about killing characters only to bring them back, but Graduation Day, just like New Avengers, brought me to the Teen Titans for the first time. Maybe how they shifted the teams around wasn't to long time fan's liking, but those first 20 or so issues of the Johns penned Teen Titans is fantastic! That book got a little tired towards the end, and after OYL completely lost it, but they really had something going there for awhile.
Old 08-26-08, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by fujishig
I hate it just as much as Graduation Day, which turned Young Justice into Teen Titans and the new (now old) Outsiders.
Speaking of the Outsiders...exactly when did Looker become a vampire?!?
Old 08-26-08, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,123 Likes on 1,634 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I liked John's run on Teen Titans, it's just that the setup mini by Winick was awful (I also don't mind New Avengers, which I think came out of Disassembled). The "rationale" to get Nightwing off the Titans was ludicrous as well (after Donna's "death" he didn't want to be on a team where he cared about people, so he formed the Outsiders... and one of the members was directly responsible for Donna's death)

And the insistance that the lineup wasn't changed because of the cartoon seemed ludicrous to me at the time (the cartoon lineup was beast boy, robin, raven, cyborg, and starfire, and all five were on the new team).

As far as the Looker/vampire thing, that can't be blamed on Winick's Outsiders run, but on the previous Pelletier-drawn series (the one with Faust's son, Technocrat, etc... can't remember who wrote it).
Old 08-30-08, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kick ass is officially off my reading list.
Old 08-30-08, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 464 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by Superboy
Kick ass is officially off my reading list.
How come?

(fwiw, I haven't been reading it, though I might try the eventual trade collection)
Old 08-31-08, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

[spoilers]It's just become too gratuitously unrealistic for a comic that had a premise of being about "real superheroes" and highlighting the violence of urban life. Also, Millar inserted a plug for Marvel 1984 in the book that really annoyed me. It just became really gimmicky.[/spoilers]