Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

The Don Rosa Library!

Old 05-10-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Don Rosa Library!

I was fooling around on Amazon yesterday, when I came across this:

http://www.amazon.com/Don-Rosa-Libra...0453886&sr=8-1

I have to say, I am incredibly excited about this series of books. I was a skeptic, but ordered Life and Times of Scrooge and was simply blown away. I haven't read many comics that infused their story with so much care and whimsy, it was just awesome. While I don't expect all of Rosa's stuff to be on that level, I'm pretty sure that the stories will be at least fun and entertaining.

I wish these were coming out in softcover, but I think this is going to be a must buy for me.

And yes, I know I should try Carl Barks as well. I'll get to that stuff someday probably.
Old 05-12-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In the January thread, I posted

Originally Posted by davidh777
Count me as another turned on to Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck and the follow-up by this board. I think the largest Barks-only collections are the two Greatest DuckTales Stories trades.

Some of the Gladstone Giant albums like Flintheart Glomgold have a lot of content in them, but still not phone book-sized.

Last year I picked up a slim volume called "Uncle Scrooge Adventures Barks/Rosa Collection Vol. 1: Land of the Pygmy Indians/War of the Wendigo," which paired an original Barks story with Rosa's follow-up story. Other than the fact that it was only two stories, I thought it was a great concept, but I have never seen a vol. 2.
Glad to say they seem to be resuming this series, alternating Donald and Scrooge adventures. #4 is going to be The Mysterious Stone Ray, which I always liked as a kid.
Old 05-13-08, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've never read any Donald stories, but I'm betting they're good. There is just something about these comics man...they just transport you to when you were 8 years old or something. And I say that never having read these comics as a kid (thought I did dig the Ducktales show). They have that sort of appeal.

The Europeans got it right in worshiping Barks and Rosa. It's surprising those guys aren't heralded so much over here considering how big Disney is.
Old 02-04-09, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Don Rosa Library!

Amazon is now listing this as a December 2009 release
Old 02-05-09, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The Don Rosa Library!

Wasn't there supposed to be an oversized Cal Barks series too that got cancelled?

I had limited exposure to these Scrooge McDuck comics as a kid, but I remember loving them when I read them.