DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   selling off a collection, how do i avoid getting totall hosed? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/527898-selling-off-collection-how-do-i-avoid-getting-totall-hosed.html)

dx23 06-08-10 07:59 PM

Re: selling off a collection, how do i avoid getting totall hosed?

Originally Posted by bloopbleep (Post 10201121)
What you have is known as modern dreck in the comic book collecting community,99 percent of all comics published between 1976 to 1996 are worthless moneywise, why?
everybody and his grandmother bagged,hoarded and boarded them during this time period, similar to baseball cards of that time period. the best you can do to salvage some money is either go to ebay and sell them as lots or go mycomicshop.com as they buy lots of stuff like you have. sorry that thier not worth much moneywise but I bet they were worth a lot storywise, don`t feel bad as your not the only person from that era who found out that his comics are worthless moneywise.

Although that is part of the reason, also you have to consider that between 1985-1995 was the peak of both comic book and baseball card industry. They saturated the market with millions of printing. Still, right now those things are starting to pick up on value. Why? Because almost 20-40 years have passed and a lot of people threw away their collections, so finding stuff in mint/near mint condition has become harder.

fujishig 06-09-10 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by dx23 (Post 10201648)
Although that is part of the reason, also you have to consider that between 1985-1995 was the peak of both comic book and baseball card industry. They saturated the market with millions of printing. Still, right now those things are starting to pick up on value. Why? Because almost 20-40 years have passed and a lot of people threw away their collections, so finding stuff in mint/near mint condition has become harder.

I'm not much of a collector, but I would think the bigger issue with stuff from the 80's until now is that a lot of it has been collected and is easily available if you want to read it (and a lot, but not all, of the stuff that isn't available is pretty worthless). That's why I collected comics in the first place, to read them. If there were a halfway decent, legal online-subscription model, I think I'd give up the monthly habit almost entirely.

whotony 07-04-10 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo (Post 10194898)
I'm still in the process of documentation. It's been a year now and I try to catalog as much as I can without getting bored. I use google docs and created an excel spread sheet. I'm up to 1040 comics listed with 5 more long boxes to go.

Looking at that spreadsheet and it looks very good, would you be able to post a link to a blank version of that?
I tried to figure out a way to use the one you posted but looks like it isn't editable.