DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   selling off a collection, how do i avoid getting totall hosed? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/527898-selling-off-collection-how-do-i-avoid-getting-totall-hosed.html)

iconoclasm 03-22-08 08:12 AM

selling off a collection, how do i avoid getting totall hosed?

I stopped collecting comics when i went into college back in 1994 and still have 2 long boxes and 2 short boxes, mostly from late 80s and early 1990s.

Ive gone to a couple of stores that take old comics, and checked ebay and am ready to cry. For example, I think i shelled out over $20 for punisher #1 and #10(i got them as backissues to complete the collection) and it looks like i am getting a few dollars per :( . Not a surprise really but still sad.

Also, i cant find anything on some of these, like the ghost rider from the 1970s, i have a couple of them sealed, and dont know if that effects the value, most from that series are only worth a buck or 2 anyways, but I figured the condition might increase the value. Ditto for the signed ash cans of wildcats#1 and cyberforce#1 from the early 1990s. Those ash cans had a print run of about 1200 or so and i cant find anything on them (either on ebay or on price guides)as for how much they would sell for,

I am sort of kicking myself because the wizard convention was here in los angeles last weekend and they could have answered some of this but too late now.

My first thought would be to give all of them to goodwill, but i think they would just junkpile them and wreck the condition, they are all bagged and have the board, and most were never opened(i would read it in store, then buy an unread one to take home).

So I welcome any suggestions on how to avoid getting completely hosed. Well, i know i will get hosed, but i guess it is a question of the degree to which i will get hosed. I mean if i paid $6 for "marvels: human torch cover" back in 1993(which would be at least double that after inflation), and its unopened, should i really be selling it for a buck or 2?

is there some sort of charity that will take these where i can get a tax write off, and i know they wont junk the condition(no jokes please, like saying "give them all to me"? That seems like this is the best solution to me.

KYDR_chris 03-22-08 11:13 AM

Sorry to be the (first of many, I'm sure) bearer of bad tidings, but I can tell you that nearly everything you mentioned aside from the 70's GR and Punisher #1 issues have little or no value.
A collectible is only valuable for resale if you have a buyer. Find someone who still has a great interest in Wildcats or Cyberforce or Marvels (good luck), and you MAY have a buyer, if they don't already own the key issues in question (unlikely).
I once had a collection of about 15,000 books (mostly from the mid 70s through the early 90s), and during the tail end of the speculation craze, I sold them and bought a brand new car....for $15,000. A buck a book. But the same guy bought 'em all.
Good luck.

iconoclasm 03-22-08 08:37 PM

You arent the bearer of bad news, the worst news is that the comic stores that buy comics would not even buy many of the ones i have because nobody would buy them. I am a little bit shocked that B&M comic book stores even exist, they must be hemorrhaging money every month.

after checking ebay, it looks like the 1970s ghost riders are essentially worthless. Unless the sealed ones have value. And again, i have no way of figuring that out, since there isnt any exact science and none of the guides seems to list that, and its not like there are any on ebay. I thought the silver surfer #1 might be worth money but not in this condition. I guess i can post up a list in the buy/sell forum here, i already did that at cheapassgamer but i am not too optimistic.

Rex Power Colt-Robot Man 03-22-08 08:52 PM

They guy above me hit the nail on the head. Books in that area arent worth much unfortunately. At most a LCS would give you probably 20$ a long box, just to have stuff to wholesale. If you wanted to sell them off, look to ebay. Dont try to sell them individually, but in lots. Say you have a run of books from issues 25-36, sell them in lots. 10-15 books a pop. Browse on there to find a good price to start at. There are some collectors out there just looking to fill in gaps and just flat out pad their collections. AS to a donation, check with local schools to see if they have a reading program you can give to. Or Big Brothers Big Sisters, see if they have any kind of program near you. Good luck.

whotony 03-23-08 01:53 PM

not sure what you mean by sealed books.

i wouldnt give them away.

you have what amounts to 3 boxes of comics, about 600 or 700 total.

that doesnt take up much space.
just hold onto them.

Or you can give them to someone who would read them and appreciate them.
such as a younger(or older) friend or relative.

i have about 50 long boxes that i've amassed
since around 1988.

i have a nearly complete run of every Spider-man book published.
the exceptions being most of the first 39 books.

every batman and supes book since 1989.

sometimes i wonder what i'll do with all these books, as the take up nearly an entire room.
a small office downstairs.

dadaluholla 03-23-08 04:32 PM

I'm about to go through my collection and purge some stuff again. I've already got two long boxes sitting in the closet of things I don't want. Most likely I will hold onto them for a while, in case we have a yard sale, but chances are I'll end up just doing some sort of trade deal with my comic shop owner. It's a lot of 90's Marvel crap, but I'm hoping he can use it to replenish his quarter bins.

I'd honestly trade about 4 long boxes of this stuff for a single tpb.

iconoclasm 03-23-08 10:10 PM

heh yeah. some of the nicer ones i might have to frame and put up on the wall, the marvels human torch issue is freakin sweet.

I didnt even know about quarter bins. that is just silly. I might have to go though the quarter bins and buy a few things that i missed and actually wanted to read.

all i can say is "ouch" @ $20 for a long box. I think the boards and bags cost more than that. i will likely go the ebay route.

Originally Posted by whotony

i have about 50 long boxes that i've amassed
since around 1988.

i have a nearly complete run of every Spider-man book published.
the exceptions being most of the first 39 books.

yikes. since its a buyers market, i really REALLY hope you bought most of those off of ebay on the cheap

outlander78 03-24-08 09:59 AM

Unless you need to reclaim the space, why not just save them for future children to read? I'm largely finished with comics, but saving all of mine for my son to read (he's two years old).

iconoclasm 03-24-08 11:16 AM

i live in an apartment and could use all the closet space i can get. IF i have kids and wanted them to read comic books i would just buy a ton off on ebay or in a quarter bin. It is a buyers market.

TimeandTide 03-24-08 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by iconoclasm
i live in an apartment and could use all the closet space i can get. IF i have kids and wanted them to read comic books i would just buy a ton off on ebay or in a quarter bin. It is a buyers market.

I debated the keep-the-stuff-for-the-kids thing to, but settled on just keeping a handful of the really good stuff and getting rid of the rest. Donated most of my old comics (mostly worthless '80s Marvel of the Power Pack and Defenders varety) to Goodwill, and a few dozen I saved for my classroom. I just figured that by the time my kid is old enough to really appreciate comics, he can dig through the quarter bins or use his allowance to pick up trades and develop his own interests.

An even bigger dilemma for me were the boxes of GI Joes and Star Wars toys that I had. Unloaded almost all of them on eBay for a really nice sum a couple of years ago.

Other suggestions: Craigs List, or set up a table of your own at a local swap meet. You could also post your list in the trade forum here.

Trevor 03-24-08 12:31 PM

Any time I sell/get rid of anything I end up regretting it.

My first comic collection - some nice X-Men in the #95 range.

My Atari 2600 collection - about 100 carts, many now rare.

My first "girlfriend's" letters (in a fit of despair) - would be nice to read now just to see what things were like back then.

My Atari ST - I ended up buying one later for more than I sold mine.

So now I'm a pack rat hoarder with two storage sites.

KYDR_chris 03-24-08 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
My first "girlfriend's" letters (in a fit of despair) - would be nice to read now just to see what things were like back then.

I wish I'd saved the nude pics and videos of previous girlfriends. My first wife made me get rid of 'em. My current wife would be genuinely interested in seeing them (WOO-HOO!).

iconoclasm 03-24-08 10:19 PM

Any time I sell/get rid of anything I end up regretting it.

My first comic collection - some nice X-Men in the #95 range.

pick those up on the cheap if you really want them

My Atari 2600 collection - about 100 carts, many now rare.
seriously, would you ever use that? i think there are some 25 in 1 joysticks(plug and play) at bestbuy, they may have clearanced them out so you can probably get them on ebay, they had games like pitfall and pole position and i think centipede. If you really want atari just do that, its a lot less space

I am guessing you would not be happy doing this, i get rid of all pictures and letters and whatnot from ex girlfriends, I would have to be a total masochist to keep any of that.:brickwl2:

I mean that sort of thing could put me over the edge. :suicide:

If you mean in like 50 years so I could look back at memories from my youth? ugh i cant think that far ahead. I can maybe see your point there. Shite i am not going to remember anything about most of the cool chicks i have dated. hell i cant remember some of it now.

My Atari ST - I ended up buying one later for more than I sold mine.
yeah. i can see how that would sting a bit. But do you ever actually USE it? If not, then its time to sell it (again)

So now I'm a pack rat hoarder with two storage sites.
Yikes@ 2 storage sites. i have maybe one or 2 things that i have regretted selling, the critic complete series and 24 season 1. So i bought them again. I sell a ton of shit on ebay, and except for those 2 instances, have NEVER regreted selling anything.

I wish I'd saved the nude pics and videos of previous girlfriends. My first wife made me get rid of 'em. My current wife would be genuinely interested in seeing them (WOO-HOO!).
it sounds like your wife is pretty cool about all of that :horse:

this sort of talk reminds me of the film "sex, lies, and videotape" :lol:

That got me thinking, i never had a really bad breakup or dated a total bitch, but if i did, i would probably post up the nekkid pics on the bathroom walls of clubs. I would consider putting up her contact info next to it, :johnwoo: but she could just change all that pretty easy.

As for the videos, i would put them up on the 'net if i wanted to try to humiliate her. :eyebrow:

the thing is, i can never envision myself as being that petty and vindictive. :chainsaw: But that would be the only really GOOD reason for keeping nekkid pics and videos imo: revenge :grumble:

whotony 03-24-08 10:52 PM

yikes. since its a buyers market, i really REALLY hope you bought most of those off of ebay on the cheap

nope bought as they were published.

well if you have kids you already have a bunch of books to let him read, no need to go to ebay and Q bins for more.

if you really are space short give them to another kid, like a said earlier,
a nephew or cousin, or someone you know at work with kids or in the neighborhood.

"

Trevor 03-24-08 11:01 PM

pick those up on the cheap if you really want them

Uh, the one I mentioned is a $40-50 book, and there were dozens of them. I'll probably never buy them again, but I wish I didn't practically give them away.

seriously, would you ever use that? i think there are some 25 in 1 joysticks(plug and play) at bestbuy, they may have clearanced them out so you can probably get them on ebay, they had games like pitfall and pole position and i think centipede. If you really want atari just do that, its a lot less space

There is a huge fanbase/collector's market of old 2600 games. Some of them sell for over $100 a cart.

I am guessing you would not be happy doing this, i get rid of all pictures and letters and whatnot from ex girlfriends, I would have to be a total masochist to keep any of that.:brickwl2:

I mean that sort of thing could put me over the edge. :suicide:

If you mean in like 50 years so I could look back at memories from my youth? ugh i cant think that far ahead. I can maybe see your point there. Shite i am not going to remember anything about most of the cool chicks i have dated. hell i cant remember some of it now.

Nah, I'm totally over all my exes, but it is fun to occasionally look at old yearbooks, photos, letters, etc I wish I had saved more of that kind of stuff.

I'm guessing you're young. When you're older stuff like breaking up with a girl won't bother you for long. If you really love someone you want the best for them, and for 99.99999% of the world, you're not it. :) You being a general term referring to all of us.

yeah. i can see how that would sting a bit. But do you ever actually USE it? If not, then its time to sell it (again)

Rarely use it. But I'll never sell it either. Nothing will ever top Dungeon Master and Oids.

Yikes@ 2 storage sites. i have maybe one or 2 things that i have regretted selling, the critic complete series and 24 season 1. So i bought them again. I sell a ton of shit on ebay, and except for those 2 instances, have NEVER regreted selling anything.

Yep, I'm a hoarder. My goal is to get rid of enough clutter to consolidate the two sites into one before the end of the year, and then to get rid of the one sometime next year.

iconoclasm 03-25-08 01:47 PM

Uh, the one I mentioned is a $40-50 book, and there were dozens of them.

Oh, OUCH. I can sort of understand where the hoarding began.

There is a huge fanbase/collector's market of old 2600 games. Some of them sell for over $100 a cart.
yeah i remember passing on swordquest: waterworld when i saw it at TRU,or it might have been radio shack. somewhere. Hell it might have been Best(the chain that eventually became bestbuy) i thought it looked stupid, and i remembered how much swordquest: fireworld sucked(tho it did come with a neato comicbook). And this was during the time of the crash when everything was selling for next to nothing, i mean a couple of dollars per cart.

you see, i figured you were just someone who was into collecting shit and hoarding it. I mean, not being about to toss out mario bros/duck hunt for the NES, or not wanting to get rid of those cases that aol sends you in the mail because 'those could come in handy someday to store a real cd!"

Nah, I'm totally over all my exes, but it is fun to occasionally look at old yearbooks, photos, letters, etc I wish I had saved more of that kind of stuff.

I'm guessing you're young. When you're older stuff like breaking up with a girl won't bother you for long. If you really love someone you want the best for them, and for 99.99999% of the world, you're not it. :) You being a general term referring to all of us.

heh, any time a chicks starts saying crap like,"ive never felt this way about anyone before in my life! youre the best thing thats ever happened to me!" then i head for the hills.

I am 31. One of these days maybe i will get serious. maybe not.

movieguru 04-08-08 10:33 PM

Uh, the one I mentioned is a $40-50 book, and there were dozens of them. I'll probably never buy them again, but I wish I didn't practically give them away.

Rarely use it. But I'll never sell it either. Nothing will ever top Dungeon Master and Oids.

Yep, I'm a hoarder. My goal is to get rid of enough clutter to consolidate the two sites into one before the end of the year, and then to get rid of the one sometime next year.

Call dr. Phil. He's had episodes on this.

boredsilly 04-09-08 01:08 AM

Doesn't sound like you're upset that you got rid of them, but that you got rid of them before the demand made them worth more.

The whole minimalist/clutter free way of living is really appealing to me. When I look around at the shit I've amassed it just seems pointless, especially the geeky stuff. I've been purging stuff since the summer, and haven't regretted getting rid of a thing yet. Sentimental stuff (letters, cards, old stubs) stay for sure, but shit I have just to have? Fuck it. It's pretty liberating actually.

About keeping comics for your kids to read, I can see the logic in that. You wanting to share something you loved as a child with your own. Hell, I look forward to watching the DCAU cartoons with my future children myself. but I can almost guarantee that most any kid is not going to want to read through a stack of long boxes of old stuff. I don't think it's the same as digging through the crates of your parents records. Hell, you can barely get people (who weren't there the first time) to read old comics now.

Trevor 04-09-08 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Doesn't sound like you're upset that you got rid of them, but that you got rid of them before the demand made them worth more.

I could see you thinking that from how I phrased it, but I've never been into any of my hobbies for any potential profit. I was responding about the cost of the items when a poster told me to just buy the "lost memories" again.

I only save stuff for the enjoyment they give me. I honestly love going thru old comics, or stacks of baseball cards, or playing my 2600 games.

But yes, I do sometimes fantasize about the minimalist life. I might try it someday.

One thing that bothers me when planning to get rid of stuff is the stuff "going to waste". One random example, comic book related, but I do realize I've thrown us off topic a bit. Back when I was big into collecting, 1979-1993 or so, I saved lots of promo material, things like the free DC Current Events or whatever it was called, the Comico Primer, First Looks (?), etc. Most people would look at the long box I have full of that stuff and say to trash it. And they are probably right. I still leaf thru it every few years, and enjoy the memories. I also occasionally see stuff like it going on ebay, or see forum posts about people who collect it. So when I do decide to get rid of it, I want it to go to somebody who will appreciate it. I know that almost any "stuff" in life has obsessive collectors/fans, who would appreciate it.

I never plan to sell anything I own, but would love for it to find a "good home" once I'm done with it.

whotony 05-28-10 10:58 PM

Re: selling off a collection, how do i avoid getting totall hosed?

Resurrecting old thread.

I'm to the point where there's no point in keeping my comics.
I havent read one in maybe 10 years and all they do is take up my garage.
Not looking forward to this as I have to start somewhere and this big collection will be a pain to count and list what I even have.

Oh well, gotta do it.

The Valeyard 05-28-10 11:48 PM

The Spidey run might be worth something.

devilshalo 06-04-10 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 10184248)
Resurrecting old thread.

I'm to the point where there's no point in keeping my comics.
I havent read one in maybe 10 years and all they do is take up my garage.
Not looking forward to this as I have to start somewhere and this big collection will be a pain to count and list what I even have.

Oh well, gotta do it.

I'm still in the process of documentation. It's been a year now and I try to catalog as much as I can without getting bored. I use google docs and created an excel spread sheet. I'm up to 1040 comics listed with 5 more long boxes to go.

sinned 06-08-10 01:48 PM

So Trevor did you ever clean up your storage sites?

Trevor 06-08-10 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by sinned (Post 10200831)
So Trevor did you ever clean up your storage sites?

Sadly, no. But I haven't grown to a larger site or more sites at least! One 'site' is just a single van load in a friend's basement, and I probably could consolidate it into the 5 by 10 site if I spent a day doing creatize stacking.

bloopbleep 06-08-10 03:32 PM

What you have is known as modern dreck in the comic book collecting community,99 percent of all comics published between 1976 to 1996 are worthless moneywise, why?
everybody and his grandmother bagged,hoarded and boarded them during this time period, similar to baseball cards of that time period. the best you can do to salvage some money is either go to ebay and sell them as lots or go mycomicshop.com as they buy lots of stuff like you have. sorry that thier not worth much moneywise but I bet they were worth a lot storywise, don`t feel bad as your not the only person from that era who found out that his comics are worthless moneywise.