WizardWorld Los Angeles

Old 03-13-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

WizardWorld Los Angeles

Anyone going this weekend?

Alyssa Milano
Old 03-13-08, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went last year and the highlight was training with kickboxing/MMA legend Maurice Smith. You would think comics and MMA wouldn't mix but I guess the owner of Wizard also own IFL. IFL had a booth and they were handing out flyers stating Maurice Smith would have a seminar at a certain time. Only about 10 of us showed up and he taught us great techniques. It was pretty much a private seminar.

Besides that, there weren't that many people and the vendors merchandise weren't great.
Old 03-13-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by matrixrok9
Besides that, there weren't that many people and the vendors merchandise weren't great.
They added some interesting panels this year.

And with no one showing up last year, it made for a very small line for a bored Kristen Bell.
Old 03-13-08, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hadn't heard about it so I guess I'm not going. What details, in case I change my mind?
Old 03-14-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bronkster
I hadn't heard about it so I guess I'm not going. What details, in case I change my mind?
Well, I'm just going on Saturday...

So here's what interested me:

12-1pm
Petree Hall
ROBOT CHICKEN PANEL
Come meet executive producers Seth Green and Matthew Senreich, the innovative minds behind the Emmy Award-winning stop motion animated Cartoon Network TV series "Robot Chicken." The parody show features celebrity voices as it skewers pop culture. Get the scoop and see footage from the "Robot Chicken" Season 3 DVD.

12:30pm-1:30pm
Wizard Auditorium
Lakeshore Entertainment 'Pathology' Panel
Milo Ventimiglia ("Heroes," "Rocky Balboa") will be joined on stage by co-stars Alyssa Milano ("Charmed"), Michael Weston ("Scrubs," "The Dukes of Hazzard," "Garden State") and Lauren Lee Smith ("Trick ‘r Treat," "The L Word") along with writer/producer Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor (director of "Crank," "Game," "Crank 2") for a behind-the-scenes look and Q & A of the sexy psychological thriller "Pathology." Immediately following the panel, the cast will hold an autograph session at the Golden Apple Comics Booth (Booth #207).

1:30pm- 2:30pm
Petree Hall

Star Wars and Indiana Jones: What's Hot from Lucasfilm
There are few movie franchises that have captured pop culture more completely than Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Lucasfilm's Steve Sansweet showcases the exciting year ahead. Enjoy sneak peeks into the eagerly awaited animated TV series, "Star Wars: The Clone Wars." Glimpse game play from Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and there will be Star Wars of another type too, with an interview with Seth Green and Matt Senreich, co-creators of "Robot Chicken." And in the Indy world, hear inside news on the upcoming "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull."

2-3 P.M.
Mike Wieringo Room
MEGA MOVIE PANEL
Get ready for the next wave of comic movies. From "Iron Man" to "Incredible Hulk" to "The Dark Knight" to “Wolverine” to "Watchmen," get the full scoop straight from Wizard Entertainment Editor Rickey Purdin on the movies that'll be rocking the box office in the future. Bonus: Special guest appearance by "Wolverine" producer Jeff Katz!

3:30-4:30pm
Wizard Auditorium Room
Lionsgate- The Forbidden Kingdom Panel
Lionsgate presents a very special behind the scenes glimpse into the magic of the action adventure epic "The Forbidden Kingdom," a film marking the first-ever onscreen pairing of martial arts superstars Jackie Chan ("Rush Hour," "Drunken Master") and Jet Li ("Fearless," "Once Upon a Time in China"). Featuring special guests from the cast and crew, don’t miss this exclusive first look.

6-7 P.M.
Mike Wieringo Room
HEROES TV PANEL
Join Wizard Entertainment Editor Rickey Purdin, Co-Executive Producer Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale to discuss the smash NBC TV hit. Find out about the deadly virus that has plagued season two of the series and hear what’s in store for season three’s "Villains" storyline.

More info http://www.wizardworld.com/

Last year was really *meh*. I'm glad I didn't pay for admission.

Last edited by devilshalo; 03-14-08 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-14-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for all the info! I'm still not going.

Quick sidenote - not to distract from this thread too much - Last month I went to a small comic convention in Yorba Linda (CA) that had *gasp* COMIC BOOKS and really nothing else! I know the big Comic Con things are what draw in the crowds, but they've really become more than I can deal with since I go strictly for comics. Not knocking the big conventions - just not my thing anymore.
Old 03-17-08, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I went all the days, The last was the best for me.

The vendors were blowing out the prices before leaving sand I managed to get a lot of stuff at 75% off

Forum member and Green Lantern Artist Ethan Van Sciver did a really awesome Cyborg Superman sketch in one of my Lantern books

But as a whole, the show wasn't anything to write home about in general. Especially with Frank and Sons and the shrine in Los Angeles. But still some awesome experiences.
Old 03-17-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by devilshalo
They added some interesting panels this year.

And with no one showing up last year, it made for a very small line for a bored Kristen Bell.
Ha, I saw her in Chicago two years ago. It was great because nobody was watching Veronica Mars so she was bored there too. All I remember was that she was only about 5 feet tall.