Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else here read Back Issue! the magazine?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 02-20-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,060 Likes on 642 Posts

Just curious if anyone here reads this. I just "discovered" the magazine in my local comic book shop this past summer and fell in love with it. It is a comics fan mag that concentrates on the 70's and 80's and has very in-depth interviews and really cool articles with comic artists, writers, etc. for that time frame.

I had never heard of it and thought I might mention it here for those who hadn't discovered it either or those who currently enjoy it and want to give their opinion of it. As soon as I bought and read my first issue, I went back and bought one of their bundles of all their back issues. So far, every issue I have read has been a blast. Lots of unreleased art and articles on everything from weird comics to Saturday morning shows.

This is their website for those who have never heard of it: http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main...ex&cPath=98_54
Old 02-21-08, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
I've read it for quite a while now and have enjoyed every issue.
Old 02-21-08, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it as informative and well written as Wizard?

Old 02-21-08, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by madcougar
Is it as informative and well written as Wizard?

I know you have a smiley face but it is miles ahead of Wizard. I actually tried getting into Wizard in the last year and just found it so shitty that I quit reading it completely after a few months (luckily I was borrowing copies from a friend).

Back Issue! is more nostalgia than anything else but it is really well done nostalgia.
Old 02-21-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't read it regularly, but I do have an issue and it is really good. All of the books from those guys are quality.
Old 02-21-08, 11:28 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts
Back Issue is an amazing magazine.

Twomorrows just had a deal where you could buy a bundle of every issue for less than half price if I recall.

It is great nostalgia. And I have found that all the articles are well written and enjoyable, even the ones on topics that don't normally interest me.

Discovering Back Issue is perhaps the main thing that has kept me "in comics" these past few years. Reading an article or even just seeing the cover will often cause me to peruse my collection of old 70s-80s titles or browse ebay for some hopeful deals on my "nostalgia fix".
Old 02-21-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It is definitely a nostalgia mag. I've read many of the comics that are being discussed to some extent so I'm entertained by it. Sometimes they pick a fairly obscure character or short lived series and give you the run down on every issue. In some cases, it's just about storylines and in others it's about who was working on the book. I'm much more interested in the creative team's thoughts and memories than just getting a run down on what happened in the comics. Especially when I've read all of the originals. Overall it is an excellent read.
Old 02-21-08, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,489 Posts
It's one of those magazines where you'll get more out of it if you're familiar with or at least somewhat interested in the books that they cover. I put it on my pull list for several months, but stopped after I got a few that I just wasn't interested in (I think one was a horror focused one). They do great work, though... I highly recommend their Modern Masters series, and they have sourcebooks that are pretty comprehensive too.
Old 02-21-08, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
It is great nostalgia. And I have found that all the articles are well written and enjoyable, even the ones on topics that don't normally interest me.
That is exactly how I feel. I was reading an article last night about Machine Man. I had seen the comic back when I was a kid but never read it nor had any interest. After reading the article, it made me want to go check out some issues. This happens though with almost every article I read in Back Issue so that could get expensive. Luckily I forget about it once I move on to the next article.

The one thing I really like about the interviews is that the person doing the interview seems that they are not only a fan but have a ton of knowledge about the subject they are asking. So it doesn't turn into the same old crappy interview withthe same old questions that you see so many times in other magazines.
Old 02-21-08, 06:25 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts
I've been buying it each time I wander into a comic shop, which is only about twice a year the last few years. So even though I already had perhaps eight issues, I bought the big 23 issue bundle they had on sale recently. I have reached my storage limit with all my various collections, and have reached a point where I can't keep everything. So once I read this 20 pound box of goodness, I'll regrettably likely need to sell them off, perhaps keeping a few of my duplicates.

I'd rather trade/sell them to one of you here if anyone is interested. I'll need a few months to read them of course.
Old 02-22-08, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm really enjoying the huge Suicide Squad article in the current issue. With summaries of the various storylines, interviews with the creators, unseen sketches, etc. it's been really fun. Of course, Suicide Squad was one of my favorite series back in the day, so I might be biased.