Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Old 02-25-12, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,221 Posts
re: Rob Liefeld (or Sal Buscema?!?!?!?!) - Worst comic book artist ever?

Sal Buscema was drawing Spectacular when I first started reading Spider-Man regularly in 1988, so I guess I'm just used to that style.

Jon Bogdanove's X-Factor art in the early '90s is probably my least favorite ever, with Igor Kordey's New X-Men fill-ins coming in as a very close second.
Old 02-25-12, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, I was never a fan of Sal's art (don't get me started on his trapezoid mouths). He always did the bare minimum and had no real style to his art, nor any detail to speak of. But at least you could follow it and knew what was going on.
Totally disagree.

He had a very distinctive style during his Spectacular Spider-man. I can't imagine Bagley, Larsen, or McFarlane being able to convey the emotion of DeMatteis' scripts the way Buscema did.

As a kid I wasn't a big fan of his, instead preferring the flashier future Image founders' styles, but Spectacular was the Spider-man title that I remembered the best. Looking back he's one of my favorite Spider-man artists.
Old 02-25-12, 07:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Comic art doesn't have to be flashy to be good, but Buscema's Spectacular Spider-Man stuff is really rough. If I were running Marvel I'd have kicked him off the roster.
Old 02-25-12, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 157 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner

Jon Bogdanove's X-Factor art in the early '90s is probably my least favorite ever, with Igor Kordey's New X-Men fill-ins coming in as a very close second.
Odd that those are probably my 2 least favorite art runs as well. I simply didn't understand Bogdanove's art, it was bad before I even knew what bad art was.

I still blame Kordey for killing my love of comic books. I hated him on New, and he ruined X-Treme for me. I still say that was a big FU to Claremont by taking Laroca off the title and putting Kordey on there as his replacement.
Old 02-26-12, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
Totally disagree.

He had a very distinctive style during his Spectacular Spider-man. I can't imagine Bagley, Larsen, or McFarlane being able to convey the emotion of DeMatteis' scripts the way Buscema did.

As a kid I wasn't a big fan of his, instead preferring the flashier future Image founders' styles, but Spectacular was the Spider-man title that I remembered the best. Looking back he's one of my favorite Spider-man artists.
Compared to his brother John, his work is weak.

Last edited by mrhan; 02-26-12 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-26-12, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I always thought Sal Buscema's mid-90's Spider-Man work (I don't remember which title, Spectacular maybe?) is some of the worst art I've ever seen in a major comic book. This is a random panel I found by doing a quick search:

It feels super sloppy to me.
That's Sal inking his own work, later in his spectacular run they used other inkers.
Old 02-26-12, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I liked it better than the artists who were drawing Web Of Spider-man at the time.
Old 02-26-12, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I used to be a heavy comic book collector many years ago. I loved The New Mutants. After a certain number the quality of art went down hill, this was around the time Warlock came into the scene. Here is an issue of the artwork that I found:

Does anyone know who the artist is?

Last edited by Sonic; 02-28-12 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-26-12, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 573 Likes on 418 Posts

Maybe Bachalo

nope

Bill Sienkiewicz
Old 02-26-12, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bill Sienkiewicz?

I think there is a line between extremely stylized and "shitty".

I personally don't care for Sienkevicz. I never liked Stroman and was never a fan of Windsor-Smith but I recognize what they're doing. While I would never call their art "shitty" I certainly would call that Buscema art above shitty.

edit: whotony beat me too it but he did remind me that even though Bachalo is in that stylized catagory as well his is a style that I really enjoy.
Old 02-26-12, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Bill Sienkiewicz?

I think there is a line between extremely stylized and "shitty".

I personally don't care for Sienkevicz. I never liked Stroman and was never a fan of Windsor-Smith but I recognize what they're doing. While I would never call their art "shitty" I certainly would call that Buscema art above shitty.
You are absolutely right. I shouldn't have said shitty because I actually kinda dig it from a painting perspective (looks like some Picasso style thing going on).

But I remember having a hard time embracing that style. I was still collecting the issues but hoping the artwork would go back to looking more refined and not so square.
Old 02-27-12, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is definitely Bill Sienkiewicz.
Old 02-27-12, 02:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out Sienkiewicz's work with Frank Miller on Elektra: Assassin an Daredevil: Love and War. Not great stories (written by Miller), but the art is just a trip to look at.
Old 02-27-12, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I always thought Sal Buscema's mid-90's Spider-Man work (I don't remember which title, Spectacular maybe?) is some of the worst art I've ever seen in a major comic book. This is a random panel I found by doing a quick search:

It feels super sloppy to me.
I was always a fan of Sal because I grew up on his '70s stuff, like The Defenders and (I think) Marvel Team-Up. The above does look sloppy, though.

Originally Posted by mrhan
Compared to his brother John, his work is weak.

Very nice--which Conan run is that? Something from Savage Sword?
Old 02-27-12, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I must be old because I'd read anything by Sal Buscema before ANY Image artist. Jim Lee included.

The printing on those 90's issues was especially bad, being in flexographic format. I recall an issue, with Green Goblin I think, that was printed standard that looked great. One of my favorite pieces of his work. And his older Hulk work stands on a level all its own.

His brother was certainly a better draftsman but Sal submitted quality work every time and while I can't say he was never late, I bet it was a rarity. He was a true professional. (and those John B. pages certainly look like Savage Sword to me)

As to Sienkiewicz, his issues of New Mutants were a revelation to me. Everything after him seemed so...normal. His work was certainly non-traditional but pretty spectacular to my eyes. He was doing "art" rather than drawing a comic book. I still find it surprising that he worked that style into a title like New Mutants, which was seemingly written to be a traditional book. That makes it all the better to me. If you don't like Sienkiewicz you'll never like the title but, if you can appreciate his work & style, go back and read New Mutants as an adult. You may be surprised.
Old 02-27-12, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

I'll admit, as a kid I also had a tough time with Sienkiewicz coming on the title, because I wasn't used to such stylized work. I also didn't really appreciate Frank Miller or even (gasp) Jack Kirby until way later on.

Speaking of Spidey artists, reading through that McFarlane Spidey omni, his art wasn't as refined as I remembered. It's also interesting hearing how Todd wouldn't follow the style sheets for the characters, which probably partially helped his success as his cartoony style really stood out in contrast to the other Spidey artists. It's also interesting to note the complaints from the old guard of artists, who could probably draw a lot better if they wanted to but were churning out pages as a business (with low page rates to boot) and didn't really appreciate this younger guard putting all this detail into the work...

I read that Life and Times of Bishop mini that Stroman did... while he was always very stylistic, I had a tough time following that one... I mean, a lot of that was set in the future so there was room for artistic license, but even stuff like baby Hope that should look human just doesn't.

Bachalo: I loved him on Death, and on Gen X, but when he went off and did Steampunk his stuff became nigh incomprehensible to me. I mean, it's beautiful but it's really, really hard to tell what's going on, which is kind of the point of sequential art.

Bogdanove: I appreciated his art in Man of Steel, but man I hated those X-factor issues of X-tinction Agenda.
Old 02-27-12, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Speaking of Spidey artists, reading through that McFarlane Spidey omni, his art wasn't as refined as I remembered.
I think there was a big leap in his art when he went from Amazing to starting Spider-Man. Then another big leap after he went on to Spawn after that short Spider-Man run.

I do wonder how much of it was an artistic leap and how much was just going to better paper and coloring. If I recall Spider-Man was a premium comic at the time and used better paper then Amazing and I know they used better coloring on the early Image comics then they were using at Marvel at the time.
Old 02-27-12, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

I don't think it's just coloring/paper. At that point in his career Todd had a lot more freedom, especially from deadlines, and as we saw once they went in business for themselves, deadlines are hard to keep. I don't remember what the gap was between Todd's Amazing work and his own Spidey title, but I'm sure he had ample time to do it.
Old 02-27-12, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Speaking of Sienkiewicz. I actually thought he was a hack when he first started. It was obvious he was trying to be Neal Adams. He did his first work for Adams but I started to like his work after it started to evolve into something that was his own.

Old 02-27-12, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 432 Likes on 296 Posts

I'm such a huge fan of Sienkiewicz. Some of the stuff he draws is just mind-blowing.

I was super-stoked to meet him at Comic-con last year; it was one of the highlights of the trip. I commissioned this sketch from him:

One of my favorite Sienkiewicz covers (a little Kelley Jones, but still awesome):

Last edited by TheBang; 02-27-12 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-27-12, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Todd B.
I'm such a huge fan of Sienkiewicz. Some of the stuff he draws is just mind-blowing.
I really liked the covers he did for Batman:The Widening Gyre

Old 02-27-12, 08:55 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I can't believe people are ripping on Seinkewicz and Our Pal Sal -- two of the great artists of the last few decades.

I love Sal's run on Spectacular Spider-Man and I really love the work he did on Thor with Walt Simonson writing.

Check out Sal's 70s work on the Hulk or the Defenders for a more conventional artistic style.
Old 02-27-12, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts

Sorry, Sal sucks.

I'm more of an Alan Davis man.

Spoiler:

Old 02-27-12, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
I'm more of an Alan Davis man.

Spoiler:

I liked his early work on Batman:Year 2 and his run on Excalibur. Mark Farmer's inks look nice over his pencils.
Old 02-27-12, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 573 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
I liked his early work on Batman:Year 2 and his run on Excalibur. Mark Farmer's inks look nice over his pencils.
I always thought that Davis and Neary were about the best team I can remember. Their run on Excalibur was greatness.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.