Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

The February General Comic Reading Thread - lacking something after the dash

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-08, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ralph Jenkins
There's a certain moment when Death Note "jumps the shark"; you'll know it when you see it. I devoured the first 6-7 volumes of Death Note, but I lost interest after a certain plot development, and still have yet to finish the series.

I'm currently enjoying Claymore (also from Viz), but the release schedule is painfully slow.

People are saying that the comics from the late '80s to the early '90s don't
hold up today. I'm not sure if that's totally true. Here are the dates a few series started:

Mage (1984)
Watchmen (1986)
Grendel (1986)
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (1986)
Batman: The Killing Joke (1988)
Batman: Arkham Asylum (1989)
Sandman (1989)
Batman / Grendel (1993)
Batman: The Long Halloween (1996)
Those are the cream of the crop. I meant mainstream comics like the huge glut of X-men, Batman, Spider-man, and Superman titles. I guess every age has its golden works though; it's just a matter of where you find them.
Old 02-26-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by Ralph Jenkins
People are saying that the comics from the late '80s to the early '90s don't
hold up today. I'm not sure if that's totally true. Here are the dates a few series started:

Mage (1984)
Watchmen (1986)
Grendel (1986)
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (1986)
Batman: The Killing Joke (1988)
Batman: Arkham Asylum (1989)
Sandman (1989)
Batman / Grendel (1993)
Batman: The Long Halloween (1996)
I didn't care for Long Halloween, and the rest are just from a small handful of writers (Moore/Miller/Gaiman/Morrison/Wagner) that are considered the best in the field - it's hardly a fair assessment of an entire industry.
Old 02-26-08, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by slop101
I didn't care for Long Halloween, and the rest are just from a small handful of writers (Moore/Miller/Gaiman/Morrison/Wagner) that are considered the best in the field - it's hardly a fair assessment of an entire industry.
The late '80s and the early '90s was when I bought most of my comics, but I mostly read independents (Comico, Dark Horse, etc.), and only paid attention to superhero books that seemed to be of unusually high quality. I'm sure a lot of crap was released during this period, but a lot of quality work was produced as well.
Old 02-26-08, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fujishig
That's a pretty big gap in the early 90's (and I never read Batman/Grendel). Certainly there were still some gems... Peter David on the Hulk, Valiant in the early Unity days, the birth of Vertigo, etc. But I think most people who were collecting comics at the time remember mostly the formation of Image (from the Marvel pre-Image days of McFarlane, Lee and co. to Spawn #1 and on), the Death of Superman, the proliferation of collectible gimmicks, and then the crash of the speculator market. It may have been my immaturity as a collector, but when I reread some of the comics I collected from that era, they just fall flat (Age of Apocalypse, or any x-title for that matter from that era, the various post demattius/maguire justice league books, all the early Image books, etc.)

Dont forget about the Ben Riley/Spider-Man fiasco that happend that was suppose to bring interest to the industry. Major Failure.
Old 02-27-08, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never read that Spidey-clone stuff, but I did think that Scarlet Spider costume was BADASS! Seem's people hate it though?
Old 02-27-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
Originally Posted by True_Story1011
Dont forget about the Ben Riley/Spider-Man fiasco that happend that was suppose to bring interest to the industry. Major Failure.
Didn't include that because I thought that was around the early to mid 90's... really, after the Image guys left and before the Marvel Knights guys came (and Buseik and Perez took over Avengers), the Marvel universe seemed to be in disarray. I didn't collect all the titles, but from what I remember:

Avengers: Basically consisted of the Black Night, Sersi, Quicksilver, the Vision, and a couple of other second stringers... with rather plain art by Epting. I think around that time the West Coast Avengers disbanded. Then we got Force Works. Ugh.

Fantastic Four: Alicia masters turns out to be a skrull, thus nullifying her marriage to Johnny Storm and putting the real Alicia back with the Thing. Franklin Richards from the future came and joined the team. Double Ugh.

Captain America: somehow Cap got exposed to a drug that forced him to purge the super soldier serum from his body. Then he got depowered and had to use a suit of armor to fight with, before the Red Skull, who was in a cloned body of Steve Rogers, saves him by giving him a blood infusion. Wha?

Iron Man: turns out he's really been under the control of Kang and is evil, so they go back in time to get a teenaged Tony Stark to become the new Iron Man. Ah well, at least it gave Cheung a start at artistic duties.

Spiderman: spidey clone saga. The new costume was ok, but that horrid vest on the Scarlet Spider?

X-books: Much ado about nothing in the Legacy Virus. Peter David leaves X-factor and it becomes a team consisting of Forge, Mystique, Sabretooth, Wild Child (hey, because AoA was popular!), some facsimile of Bishop's sister, and who knows what else. I did enjoy Mad's run on Uncanny, the Age of Apocalypse, and Generation X (back when I could kinda understand Bachalo's work)

We also got Marvel 2099, which had some cool concepts, but ultimately fizzled into nothing. Marvel purchased Malibu and pretty much destroyed the Ultraverse. Onslaught and Heroes Reborn (say what you will about it, it at least allowed them to retcon the mess they made out of the non-X titles).
Old 02-27-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Didn't include that because I thought that was around the early to mid 90's... really, after the Image guys left and before the Marvel Knights guys came (and Buseik and Perez took over Avengers), the Marvel universe seemed to be in disarray. I didn't collect all the titles, but from what I remember:

Avengers: Basically consisted of the Black Night, Sersi, Quicksilver, the Vision, and a couple of other second stringers... with rather plain art by Epting. I think around that time the West Coast Avengers disbanded. Then we got Force Works. Ugh.

Fantastic Four: Alicia masters turns out to be a skrull, thus nullifying her marriage to Johnny Storm and putting the real Alicia back with the Thing. Franklin Richards from the future came and joined the team. Double Ugh.

Captain America: somehow Cap got exposed to a drug that forced him to purge the super soldier serum from his body. Then he got depowered and had to use a suit of armor to fight with, before the Red Skull, who was in a cloned body of Steve Rogers, saves him by giving him a blood infusion. Wha?

Iron Man: turns out he's really been under the control of Kang and is evil, so they go back in time to get a teenaged Tony Stark to become the new Iron Man. Ah well, at least it gave Cheung a start at artistic duties.

Spiderman: spidey clone saga. The new costume was ok, but that horrid vest on the Scarlet Spider?

X-books: Much ado about nothing in the Legacy Virus. Peter David leaves X-factor and it becomes a team consisting of Forge, Mystique, Sabretooth, Wild Child (hey, because AoA was popular!), some facsimile of Bishop's sister, and who knows what else. I did enjoy Mad's run on Uncanny, the Age of Apocalypse, and Generation X (back when I could kinda understand Bachalo's work)

We also got Marvel 2099, which had some cool concepts, but ultimately fizzled into nothing. Marvel purchased Malibu and pretty much destroyed the Ultraverse. Onslaught and Heroes Reborn (say what you will about it, it at least allowed them to retcon the mess they made out of the non-X titles).

Hey Bro,

We derailed this thread!

Lets take this out of here and make up a thread of stuff that should've never happend - discuss things we enjoyed and desiped.
Old 02-27-08, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Quick summary of the finale of Marvel Zombies 2 #5:

Draw out the last page of #4 for a third of the book.
Fight zombie-Hulk.
Tease Marvel Zombies III.

Waste of time -- a lousy finale to a kinda lousy followup mini.

I haven't been that keen on the re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-revamped LSH since its first few issues, and I'm really on the brink of dropping it now.

Couldn't find RASL at the local store (I bounce back and forth between a couple of shops and don't really keep a pull list), so I'm not sure if I'm going to wind up ordering it online or just shop around.

Kind of a disappointing week.
Old 02-27-08, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This week:

All-Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder #9

"Dear everyone who wrote Batman after me: YOU SUCK. Sincerely, Frank Miller."
Old 02-27-08, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've decided to do some slurging and pick up 3 graphic novels/tpbs. I'm definitely going to get "I Killed Adolph Hitler" and "The Killer". I was leaning towards "The Nightly News" as well. I read the first issue online, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. Any opinions on "The Nightly News" to help me make up my mind? Also, was it a miniseries or is an ongoing series?

And, if not "The Nightly News", what else do you recommend?

jim
Old 02-27-08, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Couldn't find RASL at the local store (I bounce back and forth between a couple of shops and don't really keep a pull list), so I'm not sure if I'm going to wind up ordering it online or just shop around.
I picked up a copy of RASL (the last copy on the shelves), and I was struck by the lack of a price on the front or back cover. Weird. The store manager quoted me a cover price of $3.99 for RASL. Did I get a good deal?
Old 02-28-08, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
I picked up a copy of RASL (the last copy on the shelves), and I was struck by the lack of a price on the front or back cover. Weird. The store manager quoted me a cover price of $3.99 for RASL. Did I get a good deal?

I honestly didnt even know this book came out yet.

How did it read?
Old 02-28-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Superboy
This week:

All-Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder #9

"Dear everyone who wrote Batman after me: YOU SUCK. Sincerely, Frank Miller."
YES! Can't wait to read it!

ETA: This last issue of JSA was fantastic! I've seen (and participated) in the argument about the lack of strong minority characters in mainstream comics that can sustain their popularity. The problem is a lot of minority character just end up feeling forced. However, here is Johns cracking out and revitalizing a whole slew of minority characters in such a cool and organic way. I'm loving it and take back all I said about the team getting too big since he spoke to that in the first few pages of this last issue.

Last edited by boredsilly; 02-28-08 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-28-08, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by True_Story1011
I honestly didnt even know this book came out yet.

How did it read?

I thought RASL #1 was OK. I always love Smith's art so that wasn't a problem. We get a pretty bare-bones first episode with some sort of either flashback or flashforward going on that's not explained.

The concept seems cool, so i'll stick with it...
Old 02-28-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JayDerek
I thought RASL #1 was OK. I always love Smith's art so that wasn't a problem. We get a pretty bare-bones first episode with some sort of either flashback or flashforward going on that's not explained.

The concept seems cool, so i'll stick with it...

From what I'm reading you have to wait a little while between books - This title is only going to be quarterly.

Does anyone know what the initial print run on this issues was? I dont wanna pick up a second print copy if my local guy doesnt have it. Jeff Smith's Bone went into what? 9th - 10th printings on issue 1, and 5-6th printings on number 2?

I was going to pick up multiple copies (2-3) so once the book gets going I can use it for trade on older titles I need to complete my other collections I've been trying to get together.

Its about impossible to find high grade Series 2 GL!
Old 02-28-08, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been sick as hell the past few days, so the only good part is that I've been catching up on a ton of books.

I just finished & enjoyed the shit out of it. . .

I absolutely love Dark Horse's omnibus line. I never read any of this Indy comics when they were published & they look absolutely gorgeous. I was shocked by how amazing the art was & how great the stories were. The comics themselves have a fantastic pulp feel to them & what I liked the most about the stories, is that they weren't over-the-top comic booky stories, they were very grounded & all could easily be made into movies.

I needed some laughs, so for the 137th time I re-read the best $10 you can ever spend on a hardcover. . .

God how I wish they would collect all the Perry Bible Fellowship stips into a single glorious hardcover. In case any of you aren't familiar with the brilliance that is Nicholas Gurewitch, here is a little sample.

And as soon as I get my sick ass away from this computer I'm about to start. . .

Sure it's no Watchmen, or Maus, or whatever, but I swear, this hardcover is going to be one of my favorite books I own. This is my favorite Davis work ever, & his Excalibur run is one of the main books that got me into comics. This is one of the best things Marvel has done in the past decade in putting these comics in such a wonderful looking hardcover.
Old 02-28-08, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sessa17
And as soon as I get my sick ass away from this computer I'm about to start. . .

Sure it's no Watchmen, or Maus, or whatever, but I swear, this hardcover is going to be one of my favorite books I own. This is my favorite Davis work ever, & his Excalibur run is one of the main books that got me into comics. This is one of the best things Marvel has done in the past decade in putting these comics in such a wonderful looking hardcover.
I'm sure you've picked up the first issue of the new Clandestine mini-series too. But make sure you talk that shit up to all your comic book buying buddies, as Alan Davis has said on his website that if it sells well enough, Marvel will let him continue to do more Clandestine minis - he's got enough storylines planned out for at least 3 more after this one.
Old 02-28-08, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've noticed its pretty hard to talk this line up at atleast 1 of the shops I frequent because the shop owner thinks the original series sucked.
Old 02-28-08, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Urban Monsters Image Comics - $3.50 - It tells the story of a world of monsters who decide one day to come out of hiding and live in the world of 'normality'. It documents their trails and tribulations as they travel cross country for an open audition for 'All Monsters'. There was a handful of incidents that occured in the book that had me laughing outloud. My fiancee even asked me what was so funny. I passed it onto her, she thought it was cute!

I thought that this book was very entertaining and along the lines of Boneyard , so if you enjoyed that title you'll like this one. I know I'm interested enough to keep it on my pool list. Grade B

I'll update more titles later.
Old 02-29-08, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pardon my ignorance, but what is "RASL"?
Old 02-29-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

RASL is the new book by Bone creator Jeff Smith, published by his own "Cartoon Books" imprint.
Old 02-29-08, 12:20 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
It should be noted that RASL is not an abbreviation or acronym (at least, not one we readers are privy to yet). RASL is the name of the book.

I agree with Jay Derek's assessment, by the way -- pretty to look at and intriguing, but there wasn't much story there. But I ought to go back and reread just the first issue of Bone. My guess is we didn't get much more than we got in this first issue of RASL -- I think it was just the Bones wandering around in the desert and then a locust attack.
Old 02-29-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
Finally finished catching up on the pre-sinestro war Green Lantern hardcovers (up to wanted: Hal Jordan). I think the first Sinestro War HC is on my next monthly shipment of comics, which should be here next week... I had planned to wait for the tpbs, but hearing about how good the War was, I jumped into the HCs, and I haven't been disappointed.
Old 02-29-08, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When do those Grant Morrison JLA hardcovers start coming out? And how long between volumes? I really want to reread that series and I was going to buy the trades, but now I'm second guessing that and think I might wait.