Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

The January General Comic Reading Thread - bring in the new year with funny books.

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

The January General Comic Reading Thread - bring in the new year with funny books.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-08, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is anyone here reading the new run of Thor? I know Simonson's is considered classic, but I've never read and probably never will. However, I did read Oeming Ragnorok story, which I thought was fantastic, and now JMS's Thor which has also been very good. Now I can say I'm a fan of the character.

I like how Thor is pulled back from the mainline Marvel-U right now. It makes him and his world feel more special. I know part of the charm of Marvel is that everything happens in NY, but I think they should keep Thor in his own corner of the world for a while.
Old 01-23-08, 11:21 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Graftenberg
I just noticed that vol 2 is in my next shipment from DCBS.
I'm so far behind. I haven't finished Volume 1 yet. I still haven't picked up Popeye Volume 2 because I'm working on Volume 1 of that as well.
Old 01-24-08, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly
Is anyone here reading the new run of Thor? I know Simonson's is considered classic, but I've never read and probably never will. However, I did read Oeming Ragnorok story, which I thought was fantastic, and now JMS's Thor which has also been very good. Now I can say I'm a fan of the character.

I like how Thor is pulled back from the mainline Marvel-U right now. It makes him and his world feel more special. I know part of the charm of Marvel is that everything happens in NY, but I think they should keep Thor in his own corner of the world for a while.
A lot of good Marvel stories happen when they pull away from the mainstream MU. Runaways and Planet Hulk are good examples.

This week:

I lose my faith in indy books. The quest for a good indy book continues. It seems that, just like indy movies, indy books have developed their own flavor, tone, mood, and themes. What most people don't understand about indy books is that they're perfect for exploring issues of violence, sex, history, and humanity in ways that are severely limited by mainstream comics. They push boundaries and borders that will take mainstream books years to catch up on. They've become tired and formulaic now, or maybe my expectations are just higher.

Also:

Ultimates 2: Hoo boy. Just when I thought that nothing, and I mean nothing, could top the first issue. I just have two words for Jeph Loeb:

SUCK IT.
Old 01-25-08, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Superboy
This week:

I lose my faith in indy books. The quest for a good indy book continues. It seems that, just like indy movies, indy books have developed their own flavor, tone, mood, and themes. What most people don't understand about indy books is that they're perfect for exploring issues of violence, sex, history, and humanity in ways that are severely limited by mainstream comics. They push boundaries and borders that will take mainstream books years to catch up on. They've become tired and formulaic now, or maybe my expectations are just higher.
I'm just kind of puzzled by this. For one isn't it "indie" short for independant, not "Indy" for Indiana Jones. Also, I may be wrong, but all I've ever seen you post about is mainstream superhero books, I've never once seen you post your thoughts on an indie work. I also have to strongly disagree that mainstream comics can't examine the issues you sited the way "indie" books can.

Clearly something specific must have caused you to "lose your faith" so what was the book? In my life of reading comics, writing reviews, running a store, the one thing I've never heard is someone complaining that the off-beat indie path of comics is "formulaic", it's why one goes to them, there are no limits or constraints.

I just finished the newest volume of Mome, one of my favorite books out there which contains some wonderful work.

Dogs And Water by Anders Nilsen is phenomenal, Nilsen is one of my favorite creators today, is fantastically foward-thinking & the polar opposite of "formulaic".

Rutu Modan's Exit Wounds is a wonderful exploration of the fractured little rifts of humanity & one of the best love stories I've ever read in comics.

And I've been plugging the hell our of Jason's work here a tone, his newest book The Last Muskateer just came out & it is briliant.

I certainly get "indie" books not being one's cup of tea, they aren't for most, there is a reason they barely sell & nobody posts about them. But I just don't get your critique. I'm just really curious what works you are referring to.
Old 01-25-08, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I write it "indy" too. I didn't realize that wasn't correct. Oops.
Old 01-26-08, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sessa17
I'm just kind of puzzled by this. For one isn't it "indie" short for independant, not "Indy" for Indiana Jones. Also, I may be wrong, but all I've ever seen you post about is mainstream superhero books, I've never once seen you post your thoughts on an indie work. I also have to strongly disagree that mainstream comics can't examine the issues you sited the way "indie" books can.
I actually have posted several times about indy books, but they've never gotten a response so I stopped making posts about them because they obviously didn't stimulate discussion.

[quote]Clearly something specific must have caused you to "lose your faith" so what was the book? In my life of reading comics, writing reviews, running a store, the one thing I've never heard is someone complaining that the off-beat indie path of comics is "formulaic", it's why one goes to them, there are no limits or constraints.

I just finished the newest volume of Mome, one of my favorite books out there which contains some wonderful work.

Dogs And Water by Anders Nilsen is phenomenal, Nilsen is one of my favorite creators today, is fantastically foward-thinking & the polar opposite of "formulaic".

Rutu Modan's Exit Wounds is a wonderful exploration of the fractured little rifts of humanity & one of the best love stories I've ever read in comics.

And I've been plugging the hell our of Jason's work here a tone, his newest book The Last Muskateer just came out & it is briliant.

I certainly get "indie" books not being one's cup of tea, they aren't for most, there is a reason they barely sell & nobody posts about them. But I just don't get your critique. I'm just really curious what works you are referring to.
I meant formulaic in that there is a general model that I am beginning to see many of them share. I apologize for using a word that has negative connotations...perhaps I should have been more descriptive.

Keep in mind that although indy work has a lot of freedom of expression and whatnot, not every indy writer/artist is talented enough to bring their ideas to the page. For example, while Dogs and Water was really lacking a cohesive narrative element. I felt lost through most of the story, perhaps something the writer was trying to convey. While it was still great, I felt it was bogged down by pretensions, almost as if the writer wanted the art to carry itself when it clearly wasn't strong enough to do so.

Also, the works you listed were all the cream of the crop.

What is it about indy books do you think limits their selling power? I loved Fun Home and Blankets, and thought they were deeply touching personal works that could have wide appeal. Still, they are limited to obscurity. If such a story had been published as a novel, they would have been national bestsellers.

Also, where do you draw the line when it comes to what you call an indy book? i include creator-owned titles. For example: Y: The Last Man is BKV's "indy" book, but Runaways is a Marvel book.
Old 01-26-08, 01:22 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I'm finally reading this. As I huge JLA fan starting back in the early 1970s, this seems to be written just for me.

Only one chapter in and the darn thing has
Spoiler:
made me cry. I can't remember the last a comic has made me cry.