Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Any DC Absolutes in the pipeline?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-09, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,796 Likes on 1,924 Posts
Re: Any DC Absolutes in the pipeline?

I'm sure there will be a second Planetary Absolute edition, but it won't come out until the final issue of Planetary is completed.

Allegedly, Ellis has finished the script and they're waiting on John Cassaday to finish drawing it.
Old 01-29-09, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
That Absolute Promethea is a huge dissapointment. Top Ten is the perfect book deserving of the absolute treamtent for Ha's insanely detailed art.

Also would have much rather seen them finally put out a second Planetary volume or even Tom Strong over Promethea.
I hope they reprint the first Planetary too. But judging by the few number of issued in the first one, I think it might have to be 3-volume Absolute to collect the entire run (including the off-shoots like Planetary/Batman, etc.)

And as for Promethea, bite your tongue! It might be a bit meandering, but it's one of the most consistently beautiful comic books ever printed and wholly deserving of Absolute treatment. But yeah, Top 10 needs to be Absoluted too - hopefully all the Alan Moore issued + the graphic novel all in one volume.
Old 02-18-09, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolute Death solicited:

THE ABSOLUTE DEATH HC
Written by Neil Gaiman
Art by Mark Buckingham, Chris Bachalo, Jeffrey Jones, Dave McKean and Mark Pennington
Cover by Dave McKean
“The landmark comic-book series that actually made Death seem . . . cool.”
— ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY on THE SANDMAN
From the pages of Newbery Medal winner Neil Gaiman's THE SANDMAN comes the young, pale, perky, fan-favorite character Death in a new Absolute Edition collecting her solo adventures! Featuring the miniseries DEATH: THE HIGH COST OF LIVING #1-3 in which Death befriends a teenager and helps a 250-year old homeless woman find her missing heart. Also included is the DEATH: THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE 3-issue miniseries featuring the story of a rising star in the music world wrestling with revealing her true sexual orientation just as her lover is lured into Death’s imminent realm. And enjoy a plethora of extras including the DEATH TALKS ABOUT LIFE AIDS pamphlet, stories from VERTIGO: WINTER’S EDGE #2 and THE SANDMAN: ENDLESS NIGHTS, the short story “The Wheel” from the 9-11 tribute book, SANDMAN #8 and #20 and extras from the DEATH GALLERY one-shot along with an intro from Amanda Palmer, the lead singer of the hit musical group The Dresden Dolls! It’s all combined right here for the first time in one volume. This Absolute Edition slipcased hardcover is also the perfect companion for THE ABSOLUTE SANDMAN and ideal for fans of Gaiman’s sprawling, intimate comics work!
Advance-solicited; on sale October 28 • 8.25” x 12.5”, 360 pg, FC, $99.00 US
Old 02-18-09, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yikes, $99 msrp for roughly 10-issues (two of which have already been "absoluted") is pretty steep.
Old 02-20-09, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,560 Posts

So for the most part I've avoided the Absolute editions due to price... but because of my lack of interest in current titles, my monthly Previews order is pretty low (which is amazing, considering this order includes Starman omnibus 3), and I was thinking of picking up Sandman v.1. I already have the original tpbs, though they're in storage somewhere. Any recommendations?

This is off topic, but I'm also considering starting the Jack Kirby fourth world Omnibus's, and the Daredevil by Bendis Omnibus 1 (I've never actually read any of Bendis Daredevil before).
Old 02-20-09, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
This is off topic, but I'm also considering starting the Jack Kirby fourth world Omnibus's, and the Daredevil by Bendis Omnibus 1 (I've never actually read any of Bendis Daredevil before).
I talk about the Bendis Daredevil a little bit here. It's a very high quality book, collecting an enjoyable run (very solid, no real cliff-hanger either, a good single collection) - but it goes by quickly. If you can find it for around 40% off msrp, get it.
Old 02-20-09, 11:42 PM

So for the most part I've avoided the Absolute editions due to price... but because of my lack of interest in current titles, my monthly Previews order is pretty low (which is amazing, considering this order includes Starman omnibus 3), and I was thinking of picking up Sandman v.1. I already have the original tpbs, though they're in storage somewhere. Any recommendations?

I almost ONLY feel like collecting Absolutes or Omni's these days. I have basically given up on DC, but will get the 3 issues of Battle For The Cowl and the Geoff Johns Superman origin and Flash Rebirth. And with Marvel I seem only interested in the Avengers right now. Millar's FF has been a disappointment to me. Spider-Man I just can't get interested in.

BTW . . . have i heard the Sandman Vol 1 Absolute was getting hard to find? The two comic shops I have been in recently don't have it.
Old 02-21-09, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MBoyd
BTW . . . have i heard the Sandman Vol 1 Absolute was getting hard to find? The two comic shops I have been in recently don't have it.
Maybe first printings. But current printings can still be found for around $65 online.
Old 02-21-09, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,041 Likes on 858 Posts

Kirby gets a lot of love/hate for its thin paper. I have the first two volumes and like their size and readability, especially compared to the B&W New Gods volumes I had bought earlier.
Old 02-21-09, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by slop101
Maybe first printings. But current printings can still be found for around $65 online.
Oh I thought Watchmen was the only one that got more printings.
Old 02-25-09, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

I avoided the jack Kirby Fourth World Omnibus as I heard that it was standard size and printed in newsprint.
Old 02-28-09, 11:12 AM

Absolute Justice anyone?

EDITED 03/23/09

ABSOLUTE JUSTICE HC
Written by Alex Ross & Jim Krueger
Art by Alex Ross & Doug Braithwaite
Cover by Alex Ross
The spectactular 12-issue series by Alex Ross, Jim Krueger and Doug Braithwaite is collected in this amazing, oversized, slipcased Absolute edition. The members of the Justice League of America are about to learn they aren't the only ones who can band together toward a common goal. The greatest criminal masterminds of our time appear to be acting in concert — but with a surprising plan that seeks to achieve more good than the JLA ever could!
This Absolute edition features a new cover by Ross, plus sketchbook a section with previously unseen artwork and more!
Advance-solicited; on sale November 25 • 8.25” x 12.5”, 496 pg, FC, $99.00 US

Last edited by MBoyd; 03-23-09 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-28-09, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Oh baby, thats what ive been waiting for, after reading my friends hardcovers.
Old 02-28-09, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Nice.
I've been anticipating this one.
Old 03-27-09, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JUst a heads up to anyone interested, Absolute Death can be had on DCBS for 49.00 this week for preorder. This is my first absolute, I plan to pick up the Sandman's at some point, but I never really see them on sale and i wasn't aware of them intime to get them discounted for preorder...I couldn't pass the death one up though at that price.
Old 03-28-09, 02:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*Homer drool*

Absolute Justice...
Old 04-10-09, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So I received my shipment with Absolute Sandman 1... my first one, and I at least have to get the remaining 3 at some point. Haven't had the time to do much more than browse through it, but it's been some time since I've re-read the series, so looking forward to it.

The Death one still seems massively overpriced... is there a rhyme and reason to the pricing structure?

Was thinking of getting New Frontier next (I have never read it, though I did watch the movie), but it seems to be out of print. I'm not sure I like Crisis or Kingdom Come enough to rebuy it in this format, and I just got the normal Watchmen HC for Xmas, so I doubt I'll get that one. My Long Halloween, Dark Victory, and Four Seasons trades are still readily available, so I'm not looking for an upgrade yet. Dark Knight seems to be marred by the inclusion of the second miniseries. I like Promethea, but it seems a bit pricey to collect it all. I'd buy Planetary in a heartbeat if it was still available.

So I guess my next one may be November's Justice, since even though I have the singles around here somewhere... any other recommendations?
Old 04-10-09, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Crisis is classic and looks great in the format. Batman Hush is also a must buy. Jim Lee's artwork also looks great, and its cover price is only $50.
Old 04-19-09, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I have slowly been reading Johns' work at DC, and the next books I plan to pick up are the GL trades, but somewhere i remember hearing there was a GL Absolute on the way. has a date been issued, or any idea how many issues will be included?
Old 04-19-09, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It should at least be the 6-issue GL: Rebirth mini-series, and I'm guessing maybe the first few issues of the current series that followed the mini. Maybe you can ask the artist of those issues, who's a member here.
Old 04-20-09, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There was a rumor from last month that it would be solicited in 2010, but I didn't see any hard evidence yet.
Old 07-11-09, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just wanted to let anyone who was interested in Absolute New Frontier, but was holding off because new copies were going for around $300, that it's back in print as of this week and can be had for around $50.
Old 07-20-09, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple thoughts:

LOEG: Black Dossier: The Absolute edition is a ripoff as it doesn't have anything new in it, just the upgrade in size and correspondingly, the artwork.

Top Ten: I don't think there's really that much demand for it. It was never a big seller either in single issues or in TP form.

Sandman From what Neil himself has said, DC plans to keep the Absolute editions of Sandman in print indefinitely and are seriously thinking of having a fifth volume which would collect the Dream Hunters and Endless Nights graphic novels.

As far as Death being overpriced at $99.00, that's going to be the standard price for all Absolute editions, and it's pretty easy to get cheaper prices various places on the web.

Last edited by WasslKitty; 07-20-09 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-20-09, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
Just wanted to let anyone who was interested in Absolute New Frontier, but was holding off because new copies were going for around $300, that it's back in print as of this week and can be had for around $50.
I should have sold mine
Old 07-20-09, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, but you still have a 1st print, and while it certainly won't hold at $300, it'll be worth more than the 2nd print will be.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.